What is better?
  Pirate
  Ninja
View Results

-_Taugerawk_-

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:38 pm
Shoot....Pirate  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:37 pm
Henry Morgan went to the Carribean with an English expedition in 1654. They ended up seizing Jamaica and turning it into a major privateer base.

Morgan sacked Portobello in 1668. Three years later he led an expedition across the isthmus to capture Panama City. His 2000 men blew thru the city milita, but most of the population fled, taking their valuables and the Peruvian treasure ship with them. Morgan and his mean got squat of that expedition.

In 1672 Morgan travelled to England where he was knighted by King Chuck II and made Lieutenant-Governor of Jamaica.  

capcartoonist

Saetril

9,200 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:37 am
Thanks for all of the historical stuff!!! Very Cool!

I chose pirate!  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:27 pm
ninja, orochumaru and saskuke and naruto and orochumaru are my favorites(my heroes) wait did i say orochumaru twice, oh well....  

bloodyseven

capcartoonist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:32 pm
pirate ninjas!

ninja pirates?

Ninja wizards! And Ninja Bears! Bears with laser beam eyes! Awesome.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:31 am
All about the ninja. heart ninja heart  

Eve Hallowz

foxy kunoichi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:46 pm
ninja heart ninja heart ninja heart ninja heart ninja
NINJA

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:38 pm
Ninja pirates pwn all. =P  

Laced Roses

Lovely Aphrodeity

Invisible Gaian

7,850 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:43 pm
ninja ninja ninja ninja ninja heart heart heart heart heart
NINJAS EVERYDAY ALL DAY TILL THE DAY I DIE!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:27 pm
iMiyo
OMG. Not this discussion again... Anyway, I choose pirate.

Second on both parts.  

Morgey

Wheezing Genius

ghost_rider_9

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:02 pm
hmmm thats difficult. Pirate or ninja? Well seeig ninjas are awesome ninja. But then again pirates are just as awesome. How about a pirate ninja, or a ninja pirate? lol Both pirate and ninja are epic!!!!  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:22 pm
while I do love heart ninjas... I must say pirate. I love rum and I DO live on an island! haha pirate  

marimoy

5,050 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100

capcartoonist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:10 am
Ninja Pirates!  
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 8:46 pm
Can't I pick both? >_< If I have to choose though, I suppose I go with pirates. Ninja Turtle Pirates!! Now THAT is awesome! XD  

Alantie Mistaniu

Shisuzen

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 7:45 pm
capcartoonist
The pirates of the Carribean were in operation from 1714 to rougly 1721 or 1724. Barely a decade. When the war of the Spanish Succession ended they were thrown out of work. Many tens of thousands of them. With their own ships. So they did what they knew how to do, but now the British government was hunting them instead of supplying them, so they eventually went out of business.

Ninjas could always find legitimate work for one lord or another. But they
probably faded out when the Tokugawa Shoganate took over the country and suppressed the ambitions of the daimyo.

Pirates in the Baltic were suppressed by Die Hansa, and later by joint efforts of Sweden and Denmark.
In Roman times, both Julius Caesar and Pompey the Great swept pirates out of the Eastern Mediterranean. Pompey made it permanent by capturing their bases.

However, there was a successful piracy operation run out of south China --by a woman! -- who retired with her riches. She had a fairly powerful fleet at the height of her career.

Ching Shih
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Early life
Ching Shih successfully engaged in illicit activities throughout her life, and therefore little is known about her early life, including her birth name and precise date of birth. The name she is best remembered by means simply "widow of Zheng".

In 1801, she was working as a prostitute on one of Canton's floating brothels, and later that year she married Zheng Yi, the notorious Chinese pirate.

Pirate career
Zheng Yi belonged to a family of successful pirates who traced their criminal origins back to the mid-Seventeenth century. Following his marriage to Ching Shih, Zheng Yi used military assertion and his family's reputation to gather a coalition of competing Cantonese pirate fleets into an alliance. By 1804, this coalition was a formidable force, and one of the most powerful pirate fleets in all of China.

In 1807, Zheng Yi died, and Ching Shih maneuvered her way into his leadership position. The fleet under her command established hegemony over many coastal villages, in some cases even imposing levies and taxes on settlements. According to Robert Antony, Ching Shih "robbed towns, markets, and villages, from Macao to Canton."[1]

She ended her career in 1810, accepting an amnesty offer from the Chinese government. She kept her loot, married her lieutenant and adoptive son Cheung Po Tsai, and opened a gambling house.[2]

She died in 1844, at the age of 69.[2]

Cultural references
A semi-fictionalized account of Ching Shih's piracy appeared in Jorge Luis Borges's short story The Widow Ching, Lady Pirate (part of A Universal History of Infamy, first edited in 1954), where she is described as "a lady pirate who operated in Asian waters, all the way from the Yellow Sea to the rivers of the Annam coast", and who, after surrendering to the imperial forces, is pardoned and allowed to live the rest of her life as an opium smuggler. Borges acknowledged the 1932 book The History of Piracy, by Philip Gosse (grandson of the naturalist Philip Henry Gosse), as the source of the tale.[3]

In 2003, Ermanno Olmi made a film, Singing Behind Screens, loosely based on Borges's retelling, though rights problems prevented the Argentine writer from appearing in the credits.[4][5]

Afterlife, a 2006 OEL graphic novel, depicts Ching Shih as a Guardian who fights demons to protect the denizens of the underworld.

The 2007 movie Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End depicts a "Mistress Ching" as one of the nine pirate lords. This character seems likely to have been inspired by Ching Shih, even though the film is set over a century before she lived.

References
^ Antony, Robert. Like Froth Floating on the Sea: The world of pirates and seafarers in Late Imperial South China. Berkeley: University of California Press, 2003.
^ a b Koerth, Maggie. "Most successful pirate was beautiful and tough", CNN. Retrieved on 2007-08-28.
^ Borges, Jorge Luis. A Universal History of Infamy. Dutton, 1972.
^ Cantando dietro i paraventi at the Internet Movie Database
^ Weissberg, Jay (23 October 2003). "Singing Behind Screens". Variety.

[edit] External links
http://pirateshold.buccaneersoft.com/roster/cheng_i_soa.html
http://www.tripmastermonkey.com/archives/news_views/july_03_2006_queen_of_the_south_china_sea.php
Koerth, Maggie. "Most successful pirate was beautiful and tough", CNN. Retrieved on 2007-08-28.
Cheng I Sao at Rob Ossian's Pirate Cove site
More Information Can be found here:

http://www.beaglebay.com/women_pirates.html

ummm...you don't have to give us a history lesson
just say pirate or ninja

welcome to - P o l l s P a r a d i s e - We need life! D:

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items