Stepping into the old building Rayne sighed, she hadn't been seen so her hideaway was safe for another night. Combing her hair through her fingers she crossed the foyer to the staircase. It did not spiral or curve of tower with a thousand shining wood steps, it was just old, made of rotting wood and led to six floors.
A smile graced her lips as she recalled the books she'd read of vampires being rich and easily adapting to the human world. Well it used to be like that, she thought, she once lived with a covenant in a large mansion that held a good thirty or forty vampire families. But today vampires were just people who lived pretending to be human by day and feasting on the humans by night. The smile faded as her landlord slipped out of his apartment looking at her.
"Got my money?" he asked raising a brow.
"Not until friday," Rayne replied nonchalantly. Her landlord knew she got paid fridays so it always bothered her that he should ask every day into the new month. Shrugging her shoulders she continued to climb the stairs.
"You need to get some sun girl, you look like a friggin vampire," the old man spat before erupting into a coughing fit.
"I just work nights Bernie, I'"ll see you tomorrow," she said lazily as she made her way up. In through she'd see him that morning before she went into work but for her that was the next day. Yawning audibly she slipped into her apartment and sighed once more. When would the covenant be back?