Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Your Wiccan/Pagan Path...and How Did You Know? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Share:
  yes!!!
  no :-(
View Results

iRayneMoon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:21 pm
I think I knew my whole life. I hated church so bad that when I was even just 3 years old. I would whine, complain, ect. I would be taken outside by my mom a lot. I hated getting ready for it, I hated going, I never undestood what I was being told, and even to this day it never clicked with me. I just disliked what I was being told as narrow minded stupidity. I just hated it so much I wanted to never even look at a church again. Then when I got older I just decided to no longer be Christian because the faith was so backwards to me at that point. I converted and ta-da! Here I am in all my Pagan glory. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:01 am
I know I've been pagan for about 7 years.
Back when I was 15, last year of school I met a group of new friends. Of these friends 4 of the girls told me that they were a 'circle' of 'wiccans', I had no idea what either of these terms meant. But these girls were some of the nicest people I'd ever met and all seemed so close, calling each other sisters. I just had to find out more. One of them kindly trusted me with her books which I found most interesting and while reading through them I could feel my life being given more meaning. Before this I'd always loved nature and believed in it's energy all around us and these books were just the things I needed to become who I am today. I quickly came to realise who I was, what life should be and suddenly nature was my friend and I never felt alone again.
These new friends I'd met accepted me with smiles and hugs (literally, hugging rocks biggrin hehe). I'd just gained 4 new sisters.
Over time the circle grew apart, we're all still friends, just not as close as back then.
Recently I've been confused as to what to call myself. Mainly because of people...people claiming to be pagan have criticised me and others for using the term 'Wicca' saying it's 'too modern' and that kind of stuff. Suggesting that 'they' are somehow better than us because they follow older paths. I don't see this as very appropriate or respectful towards a fellow human, I would never judge them or their beliefs.
Even more recently though, I've found more and more local pagans who are so welcoming that I feel just like I did back when I met Andii, Kags, Laura and Steff (the girls I met 7 years ago who introduced me to Wicca).

Reading the stories of how others 'knew' is very interesting. Excellent topic.

Peace, Keith  

Talyn178

Dragonspeech

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:39 pm
Just a thought - a lot of concersions of Christian to Wiccan or Pagan beliefs.

Anyway. My mum got me and my sister into a private catholic shcool since kindergarten - all the way up through middle school. It was crammed down my throat - it was the Only way, The way - The Only Religion. I didn't mind. In fact, I threw myself at God. I prayed wholeheartedly. Worshiped and served and sniveled and whined His name in the dark... and in the Church as soon as I was eligible for being an altar server.

... And then ... It felt odd. These robes, weren't right, they just didn't fit with my psyche. Why couldn't a woman serve for God like a priest could? Why couldn't I hold a congregation in His name despite being female? The bible said one thing, and yet later (or even better, in the same breath!) meant another. We are all brothers and sisters yet why marry? We should procreate yet men of cloth can not have a family which is as sacred as serving. Why?

"Why...?" That's all that came up after three years of unwavering faithful serving, up until that point I had wanted to become a Nun. Funny that...

Middle school, the school was small, I was in the leading graduating class - I was the only one teased (out of a number that never fluctuated more than 23 and no less than 16), physically abused, mentally, sexually. In a Catholic school no less! I prayed harder, I would have wept blood for Him to answer me. Besides... God was not answering my prayers. His miracles (despite repeated voices say that it will come in His time, or what have you.) will bloom before me. I was assured that once I graduated... Bull. I got relief only from the march of time. And even then, small wonder, ooh, everyone went to chalk it up to God's Handiwork. ... No. It's not. Its me being able to choose which school I got to go to for the last stretch of my learning.

By the time I was ready for Confirmation in freshman year of high school, I did not want to do it. My patron didn't even come to support me. I knew then that Catholisim and any branch thereof in Christianity was not for me. Yet... the roots are deep, and ever do, I still dig. I read and search. I heard about Wicca in high school. I wanted to, nudged around a bit, but with the religious thoughts of my family I would have to do it in secret. I dropped it.

Later on, about two years, I found it again. I figure I would be ready to do it in secret if needed. I am not Wiccan, I have interest I wish to learn; I acumulated many books. I have no term for myself, I'd rather without. No lables thank you, if anything, give me an umbrella.

I am Pagan hear me roar.
I call to the trees and bees,
the flowers and wheats upon ground I walk,
I will care for.

I am here.
I am mortal.
And I've finally realized
what I've missed out most of -
which is the world.
I do my part in it. Proudly.

I feel better. Now, talking about my confersion and founding. I know I've stumbled around and skipped self initiation because it sounds too formal. Instead I communicate or try to on occasion.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:04 pm
I just picked up a book and I knew...I'd always loved fantasy and mystical creatures like witches and unicorns and stuff like that.
It felt like a natural progression  

doistu

Dellanora

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:24 pm
my mother is baptist and my dad is non-denomination. the only times i go to church are for funerals or weddings, b/c thats the only time i want to. ive tried on multiple occasions to go to church, but it only fusterates me b/c i feel like its brainwashing! they keep saying things like "if u dont accept jesus as ur savior u will go to hell".. catholic/christian churches keep teaching that there is only one way and that all other religions are wrong. that pissed me off and the day i heard that (freshman year of highschool)i knew i was christian. in fact i knew before that, but i had still tried to make my mother happy. then i found paganism. ive been doing tarot for almost two years, and as i was looking for the history of the cards it led me to wicca which in turn led me to paganism. when i found paganism i KNEW it was right. it was just a name for many of the things i had already believed in. i began researching different pagan paths, but wicca is just the one that seems to...click. i dont know why, but when i found paganism it felt like home. it was just right! and although im still researching different pagan paths wicca seems to be the one for me. that is how i knew/know. i dont really agree with everything in many of the traditions of wicca, which is why i dont really think ill find a specific tradition for me. so when im ready to commit myself fully and whole-heartedly to wicca (when im done w/ all my research and im 110.87625&#xsu;re) i will probably be an ecletic wiccan.
In Light and Love,
Dellanora ♥  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:07 pm
I've had random people come up and talk to me out of nowhere telling me what they see in my Aura. I've had people tell me things about my past that I've hid for so long, and afterwords they offered me advice. I've followed the different advice and they all lead me to a similar direction. So that's where I stand. (: And to be honest, I'm quite happy with it.  

Indisgression

Familiar Gaian

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:46 pm
Wow how did I miss this thread?

The path I'm on now isn't what I started with. When I originally delved into Paganism I got swept up in the internet's version of "Wicca" ( "lawlz du wutevr u want!!!11!one!!" ) and was quite happy with it. I then stumbled onto the Wicca FAQ in the ED: M&R and had my happy (but misappropriated) beliefs smashed. It was quite devastating and I was quite angry for a while. But now I know better and am in agreement with it.

So then I sat in a spiritual/religious spin cycle for a bit; what did I really believe in then? Why? How? I had to basically start over again. I started by meditating on the different pantheons, seeing where I felt called to. Enter the Norse pantheon. I felt a warm reception from them (compounded with a previous sort of interest in them) and began doing some research. The things I learned seemed to me to be...common sense and it was like an intangible homecoming. A bit further research showed me that there was a whole religious branch devoted to the Norse pantheon and the historical reconstruction of the belief system.

And that is how Violett became Asatru whee .  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:41 am
My story is nothing special. Always been very spiritual person and always been believing in power of nature and little spirits and magical beings, but for long time I was catholic and had little problems with that. But finally I grew up enough to form some questions christianity was not able to answered, I started to feel smothered and in this same time I came across magic and paganism. Slowly I was cutting off all the past religion bonds and learning about paganism and myself. And now I'm happy druidism oriented pagan, who follows the path of Aine.

Peace
Mea  

Verbeley

moe majesty

Dangerous Explorer

8,750 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Over Easy 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:06 pm
I grew up simply loving everything fantasy, but I had it drilled into me that none of that was real. I was also brought up Christian, but I found no solace in it whatsoever. I was agnostic-borderline atheistic for a while, before I finally started looking at everying.

I knew there had to be something that felt right for me. I went through all the major religions, finding nothing that suited me, when alas! The ad for this guild appeared beneath mine. I joined on a whim, and started reading. Neo-Paganism and its ideas and beliefs... they clicked. The God and Goddess felt so right, I knew that it was for me.

So yeah?  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:50 pm
I had never really been brought up in a very religious household. We never went to church. We didn't pray. Or do anything like that.
The only thing remotely religious that I did do was in the first grade, when I attended St. Ambrose Elementary School. It was a private school and every morning we'd pray, the whole Hail Mary bit with the rosary and we'd learn about God and Jesus for more than half of the day. It never felt right to me...I always felt a bit lost. Slightly out of place.
I went to a public school for the rest of my childhood years. Once in the 4th grade, I met a girl, Hazel, and we became really great friends. When I was with her, I learned about her mother being what she called a 'witch' and was instantly intrigued with the whole idea. Although, I never really knew what it entailed...what exactly went with the idea.
We'd play games at the playground. She'd name my element earth, and we'd dance around the tree, repeating the elements. Earth, Air, Water, Fire. She always knew there was a fifth one, but didn't remember. *giggle* Now I know, it's Spirit.
Anyways, I found out later that her mother had a Book of Shadows. Sometimes Hazel would call it her spell book. And then one day she called what her mother did, Wicca. I never found out anymore from her. I moved after fourth grade let out for the summer. I still miss her dearly, and we're still in contact, but as far as I'm concerned, she's not really Wiccan herself. I've never had the chance to discuss it with her. But she says she's been reading into it, and her mother still follows the same path. So, I guess something is there.
I started researching Wicca since I went into middle school. I never found out much. I was just in search of a religion I could believe in...that I could follow. And I was always drawn to Wicca...always. It never wavered. I just didn't know what to do to actually...BE Wiccan. If you know what I mean...
When I got into high school, I kept trying to find things out about it. And that's when I truly felt that this was my calling. Wicca was for me. I had finally found something to believe in...something to always carry with me. My faith in something other than this life I had.
I introduced the idea to my mother more than once. It was always looked down upon...always gone against, ridiculed. I just learned to not mention it. Until she found articles in my binder in my sophomore talking about Wicca. And whenever I'd say I was going to convert, she said there was no way in hell.
It took me until last year to try a different approach. I went and showed her what it was really about. What we really believed in. And surprisingly, she listened to me. She didn't argue. She even saw how similar it was to her own beliefs in this world. And it intrigued her. She was surprised and captivated and thus began my coming out of the broom closet, so to speak. I was grateful for this. Finally, I could believe without worry, research without caution. She even bought me books on Wicca and wants to buy me a pentacle that I've been wanting to save up for. She has finally seen what I've seen.
She herself doesn't believe in the God that I was taught in first grade to believe. She believes in a higher being. But she says there is no way to tell what or who it is. She just believes that that higher being rules us and our lives and controls what happens. I respect her for that. It's not that much different from what I believe in, when it all comes down to it.
I haven't any idea why it has taken so long for us to believe in peace and to accept everything. But I am thankful for this. Even after all the arguments, verbal threats and abuse, and fear. It was all worth it, in my opinion. I stood by my beliefs and was granted her acceptance.  

mominchat

mominchat

Tipsy Vampire

10,300 Points
  • Trick or Treat 100
  • Battle: Defender 100
  • Tipsy 100

Nattfodd

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:43 am
I've been looking into witchcraft and other magical practices since I was 14; I did a lot of odds and ends and tried to sort out all of the contradicting authors, find true authorities, and learn.

In the end, it wasn't until I was looking into the biographies of Jimmy Page and the Beatles that I noticed Aleister Crowley -- who has a lot of fuss about him. Irrational fuss, sure, but fuss nonetheless. After tearing away all of the fear and superstition regarding some of his biographers (especially the television guys, woo) I decided to collect his works and read into them thoroughly, along with some people who viewed him and wrote about him in a positive manner, like Robert Anton Wilson.

Through what i've learned in regards to the teachings and magical systems, even the pure guides into physical and mental lifestyle, I cannot stray from this path now. I have always been one with it, and finding it, we make a good match. I'd get married to my path, if I could!  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:33 pm
my aunt was wiccan, so i guess it sorta rubbed off on me.  

Aryain Flames

DenvoPryde

3,800 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:13 pm
When I was little my grandma taught me some stuff and said later, when ready, come to me.I never felt right with judism, I would find what I thought were "loopholes" in the religon. Around 10 when my parents died(not at the same time, Mom was cancer and father was heart attack) I was very lost.
I went hiking and remembered what my grandma said. I went to her and she taught me everything else. She told me "Learn and Grow". Never can I stop learning and I must pass on as much as I can. All knowledge is sacred. I feel at peace learning and teaching, I feel safe and at home. That is why I feel my path is right.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:31 pm
^_________^

I had always been raised Catholic; had it DRILLED into me that there WAS no other way. That anything different was bad. I went to CCD, had a first communion, but I didnt BELIEVE in it; I hated church with a passion. I expressed this to my mother; she was upset at first, and my stepfather..well, it makes him very...mad..
Dont get me started on my real father's reaction. And my stepmother's.

I settled into Agnostic/Atheism, or so I called myself. I had ALWAYS believed in magic; no matter how many times my pretentious CCD teacher scoffed at it.

I remember coming up with my first spell. It was meant to be a poem..but something clicked when I wrote it. I knew it was more than a poem-- It was the magic I had always adored and kept locked secretly in my heart.

My friend tried telling me "I was Wiccan" when I expressed to her my religious side.

I knew something was wrong with her definition of "Wicca" though, as I'd heard of it before. And thank god I didnt fall into the retarded internet version of Wicca. I am only 13, and I know very well Wicca isnt a haha-do-wat-u-want thing.
After studying Wicca for awhile, I told my friend what it was really about; not her imaginary tree hugger version. It took her awhile to understand it, but I have been doing well in my job of spreading the real information amongst my friends; They now have chosen their own paths, and I feel good that they wont have their beliefs smashed later when they call themselves "Wiccan" to a true believer.

I havent chosen my path yet, but I am strongly drawn to neo-pagan beliefs.
I would ADORE learning more; anyone willing to teach me ANYTHING [magic, divination, all the different herbs, stones, charms used in magic, Wicca, Asatru, Druidism, even their own beliefs-- I want to know it all!] I could just kiss!
Hopefully, in time, I can choose my own path, and become more experienced in magic, meditation, divination-- I want to learn it all. To do what's best for me.

Also, advice on parental issues I would very much adore. My parents think me to be just rebelling against their beliefs, and that I'll just "fall back into them" when I'm more "mature". [Although, although I'm hyper and random more often than not, I'm altogether mature for my age]
They do not understand that I have found my way. I have yet to explore it, but I am very sure Neo-Paganism/Paganism is right for me.
My mom is already suspicious of my makeshift altar. I need to know how to tell them... And how to counter their reaction. Or at least how to practice in secret. ;]

So I'm sorry for the wall of text, but thats how I found my way into the world of neo-paganism!
And any help/advice/teaching anyone can offer me will be great!

Luffles, Wolfie.  

Ellisari

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:57 pm
iChibi-Panda
Also, advice on parental issues I would very much adore. My parents think me to be just rebelling against their beliefs, and that I'll just "fall back into them" when I'm more "mature". [Although, although I'm hyper and random more often than not, I'm altogether mature for my age]
They do not understand that I have found my way. I have yet to explore it, but I am very sure Neo-Paganism/Paganism is right for me.
My mom is already suspicious of my makeshift altar. I need to know how to tell them... And how to counter their reaction. Or at least how to practice in secret. ;]

We can tell you're mature mrgreen

I would recommend scaling things back. Having an altar is great, but you don't need one to practice freeform Pagan spirituality or religion. You can put that in the "later" pile.

If you feel like having a dialogue with them about it (which I actually recommend over keeping it a secret), then sit them down for a serious conversation. It's scary, but it can be done. Let them know that you honour and respect their religion, but that it's not for you. Say that at the moment, you're exploring other ways of honouring the divine and celebrating your spirituality, but that you haven't made any solid choices yet. Stress that you're learning and looking around. If you like, you could also look into other spiritual paths that are not Pagan - you don't have to want to follow any of these religions to find them interesting. It will also help your case wink So check out the Gnostic gospels, explore the history and different forms of Christianity, look into Judaism, Buddhism etc.

It's important to let them know that you respect their religion. If you don't respect theirs, why would they respect yours? Catholicism, while it contains elements I don't personally approve of, is a complex and fascinating religion with a long history. You lose nothing and gain a great deal from looking into it from an academic perspective, and it will drive home to them that you a) honour their own religious choices, b) respect Christianity in general, and c) are not rebelling against their religion. In addition, be aware that their spiritual paths are as important to them as yours is to you.

Don't raise your voice, yell, get angry or upset. Try to be calm, collected and mature as I'm sure you can be.

That's the best advice I can give you at this point, I think. Good luck!  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games