Reply 75: Science Fiction & Fantasy: Books, TV, Movies
Twilight/New Moon/Eclipse Obsession? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Iron Rose

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:28 pm
I've heard about this fad and it displeases me. Not because it's popular, because books are often popular for good reasons.
It's that I hate hate hate those over-sexed boy band-esque vampires who end up in romance novel all the time (I'm looking at YOU, Anne Rice!)
So, I'm glad that people like it, but I personally avoid it like the plague.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:23 pm
Edward scares me. I mean, using vampires in a romance story is one thing - which I find pretty horrifying in itself, but I think that's mostly a personal squick - but once they start to sparkle, it's a sign that you should probably head for the hills. (And he reminds me of Death Note's Light for some reason. Coincidence? I think not.*)

I can see the attraction to the Twilight series - because, hey, it's got a hot vampire who wants to get with the MC. And, well, Bella seems like the sort of character it's easy to identify with. So it should be easy enough for a lot of people to be Bella. If that made sense.

And, hey, if it keeps people away from the Anne Rice, I don't really see the problem. (As long as no-one starts gushing to me about how awesome Edward is, I mean, because ... yeah. The first person who does this, I will hit.)

*Oh God, now I'm wondering what would happen if you swapped them. Vampire!Light meets Bella. Death Note-holder!Edward tries to convince L that no, for the last time, he did not kill all those people. (Rule 34, anyone?)  

Aibari

tsukiyukikage

13,150 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:04 pm
I'm not ashamed to say it: I'm obsessed with Twilight. I've read the books a total of 15 times.

The story has a good plot and I will be going to the midnight release party.

Even so, it's nice not to obsess every once in a while.

If you want, try Wicked Lovely and Ink Exchange by Melissa Marr, The Chronicles of Faerie by O.R. Melling and The House of Night series by P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast. Trust me--they're good and will get your mind off Edward for a while.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:51 pm
I love the twilight saga but I'm not obsessed over them..Lots of my friends are though. xd (But they're also the ones who fall in love with book/game/anime characters...)Anywhoo-I can't wait for Breaking Dawn and the movie to come out. (Doubt you'll see me there right when either comes out, though...)  

Irritable Ibis

ToxicLatte

Dapper Phantom

6,400 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:01 pm
I loved the books, but I'm not obsessed with them.

Three of my friends on the other hand, get into hour long discussions about the books, and huge fights on who likes Edward the most, and weither Jacob or Edward is better. I've read each book about 60 times, but compared to them, I've read them not many times. (Listening to them gives me headaches.)  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:27 pm
Madame Delphi
I've heard about this fad and it displeases me. Not because it's popular, because books are often popular for good reasons.
It's that I hate hate hate those over-sexed boy band-esque vampires who end up in romance novel all the time (I'm looking at YOU, Anne Rice!)

I. Could. Not. Agree. More. I am a firm believer in all supernatural. I am, vampires, included. I believe they exist to an extent. However do not tell me that because you suck your friends paper cut you're a vampire. Anne Rice, I blame as well!
I too, love the books, I do. Yet, not Edward. He's portrayed as perfect, boyish and masculine all at the exact same time. It's simply overrated. In fact throughout the second book, I cried. I was so mad that the character Edward chose to leave her that I just cried. Why a perfect character with such an idiotic sense of self?
Anne Rice created what everyone believes to be a world of sexually deprived vampires. Why can't there be one that's happy to be who/what he is, sexy and proud of it?
I dislike saying so, but Edward...is almost EMO.

Shy_Red

Green Dabbler

The Iron Rose

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:07 pm
Shy_Red
Madame Delphi

I. Could. Not. Agree. More. I am a firm believer in all supernatural. I am, vampires, included. I believe they exist to an extent. However do not tell me that because you suck your friends paper cut you're a vampire. Anne Rice, I blame as well!
I too, love the books, I do. Yet, not Edward. He's portrayed as perfect, boyish and masculine all at the exact same time. It's simply overrated. In fact throughout the second book, I cried. I was so mad that the character Edward chose to leave her that I just cried. Why a perfect character with such an idiotic sense of self?
Anne Rice created what everyone believes to be a world of sexually deprived vampires. Why can't there be one that's happy to be who/what he is, sexy and proud of it?
I dislike saying so, but Edward...is almost EMO.
*vomits*
You said it, girl.
Emo.
All of these vampires are turning into a bunch of emo, boy-band, sex-deprived, lovers! What happened to the days when vampires were used for-
Oh, what was it?
Oh yeah.
HORROR. Beasts of the night! A terrifying force of nature with distain for human life! It was cool when the idea first came around; these sub-humanoid creatures given a choice whether to destroy or create... but not PROcreate! Jebus.

I swear to God, I'm coming after you, Ann Rice.
Just you wait.
Just you wait.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:16 pm
I love the twilight series, but as most of us agree, kinda creeped out by all the obsessions. I mean, it's just another example of how fads effect our community.  

clivethemagicalfish

The Iron Rose

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:17 pm
MidnightJoe1
I love the twilight series, but as most of us agree, kinda creeped out by all the obsessions. I mean, it's just another example of how fads effect our community.
*cough-spongebob-harrypotter-hannamontana-cough*  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:21 pm
Madame Delphi
MidnightJoe1

Bahahah! That's so funny that you mentioned Hannah Montana! I was so-totally just watching a tid-bit of a debate about whether or not the media is making her grow up too fast and how Vanity Fair shouldn't have posted those pics.
What a great fad comparison though! I love it!
Mmmkay, I do go the the HP midnight showings cause' they crack me up!

Shy_Red

Green Dabbler

clivethemagicalfish

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:21 pm
Madame Delphi
MidnightJoe1

Exactly my point. Even rebelling is a fad. I mean, these days, basically nothing is origional and your own. I hate hannah montana.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:28 pm
MidnightJoe1
Madame Delphi
MidnightJoe1

Exactly my point. Even rebelling is a fad. I mean, these days, basically nothing is origional and your own. I hate hannah montana.
REBELLING IS A FAD! AGREED!!!!! SHOW HER WHAT SHE'S WON!
Hannah Montana...wow...she's got fish lips...but it's cool, it's cool!
I used to love the pierced, dark, boy in the back and now they're everywhere and it's -ALMOST- a GIVE ME A PREPPY BOY SOMEONE, PLEASE?!
They're all bags of douche anyways!
Edward is a fictional character who is stone-cold hard all the time.
Pun intended...
He's also a nit-wit.
One cool factor: She gave him red hair. Not just because I am a redhead, but because he's not average dark hair, dark eyes, pale skin, blah blah blah blah blah.

Shy_Red

Green Dabbler

poisonivy947

6,450 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:32 am
I am a little obessed but not that much. I mean I love the series and and can't wait for Breaking Dawn and Midnight Sun but I'm not too happy to think all about that on thing only. I love to talk about other books like manga books too. I'm not too happy about the movie that is coming out, I mean I'll watch it but like the Harry Potter movies their most likely going to change everything and everyone. My sister is more obsessed than me: she has all the books and says on saturday she is going to buy the 4 one and read the first chapter of BD and MS and is anyone damages the book she says they have to buy her 2 more. Now that is obssesstion.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:31 am
Nuclear Piggy
I have been affected by this over obsession that's happening as well. I mean, it's a good book.

But... Edward's not real. And he never will be. Get over it people. D=
I love the series, but when these people appear it makes me.. sick. And then I totally rip into the poor people. >.>""'

But.. EDWARD'S NOT REAL!

i agree. people are obsessed about a fictional character in a fictional book.  

the_first_Argetlam

4,400 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Person of Interest 200

The Iron Rose

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:11 pm
MidnightJoe1
Madame Delphi
MidnightJoe1

That's right. That's why they made Hot Topic. Back in the 80's, people actually had to make the stuff that they wore. Now you spend $80 for a pair of gloves with holes and studs in them. $150 for jeans with suspenders. Whether we know it or not, fads are a part of our everyday life. Some people more than others. It may make the difference between a pair of $15 jeans and $200 jeans with your favorite logo on the butt. The marketing business is getting more and more skilled at hooking teens. After all, we have more dispensable income than anyone else. Even the authors are doing it now too. Writing crap dressed up as a romance to hook girls... and some special guys.
Tsk tsk.

If you really want to rebel... quit buying all the garbage the media is shoving down your throat! D8< And actually try to make a difference, rather than simply bashing Hanna Sluttanna and wearing goth clothes.

75: Science Fiction & Fantasy: Books, TV, Movies

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff