Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
The great 'Ain't' debate. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:05 pm
I'm from the Ohio Valley, so I've heard some remarkable butchering of the English language. "Ain't" is used all the time. Personally, I don't think it is a word acceptable for 95% of English conversations, but if you do choose to use "ain't," than it is okay. Oddly enough, I know that at one time I used to pronounce "can't" as "cain't," like my Dad. Just a random hypothesis, but perhaps that same pronunciation where you add an "i" to a word that doesn't have it. Anyhow...  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:42 am
http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/erin_mckean_redefines_the_dictionary.html

This is an interesting talk for word-o-philes such as ourselves, and might actually make you stretch your boundaries a bit. Words have unique uses and even the most banal and made-up words are STILL words... The debate that should rage should be on the topic of "Is this word appropriate for formal writing and proper language?" No, but that does not nullify its uses. For instance, if someone was famously quoted as saying "I ain't gonna do that" then who are you to correct diction on their behalf?

Ain't is a color word, a nippy little brush stroke item and though certainly improper, it should not be discredited as a utility.

LaTierra Nik

egginaframe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:45 pm
Well, it's a word because now it is defined in the dictionary!

But, there are a lot of slang terms out there that are now acceptable. Ain't is on its way up there.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:59 pm
Ain't is a word, it just doesn't have one singular meaning. It can be used as ''am not'', ''have not'', ''has not'', and so on, and so can be used in different contexts.
|:
It's highly informal.

It's a horrible word though.
"Ain't".
Ew.

Thundurr

koizumi_riyuu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:07 am
It's a word. If it's in the dictionary, it's a word.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:28 pm
I think "ain't" is a word, mainly because its in the dictionary. However, it's a form of dialect, like someone stated earlier. [Sorry, I'm too lazy right now to look up your name. ^^; ] I know many people who think "ain't" is not a word, because it sounds unintellectual.

Everyone has their opinion, to some it is a word, to some it isn't. Either way, I think ain't is a word.

Gwyenevere

Shade

Houra

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:38 pm
"Ain't" is technically not an abbreviation of "are not", as you said, there is "aren't". And where does the 'i' come from?
"Ain't" is a word, but only as slang, I believe.

And to Koizumi_riyuu, not all things in the dictionary are words. There are suffixex/prefixes, abbreviations, slang terms (which are defined as slang and not words), and acronyms. There are also people and places in some dictionaries.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:33 pm
I agree with Houra, It's a slang term/word, but only as such. I used to be guilty of saying it when I was younger, but I prefer to say "aren't" instead. The only time I'd time I'd raise my brow at someone using it would be during a formal situation. Slang words to me are words, but I tend to avoid them when possible.

Master Akhekhu Crocell

Ithaya

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:18 am
It's just a slang word.
If you use it in essays then you're insane.
If you use it in speech, then, what the hell, carry on.

It's one of the slang words that doesn't really annoy me that much.
I even use it occasionally, though mainly on Gaia and MSN, not in speech.

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff