Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Muslim Guild Of Gaia

Back to Guilds

The Muslim Guild Of Gaia for everyone who wanto learn about Islam! Or for those muslims who wanto meet muslims. Or if u wanna have fun!!!! 

Tags: Muslim, Islam, Religion, Islamic, United 

Reply ☪)Islamic Discussion(☪
Islamic weddings Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Geek Zombie

6,300 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:23 am
Ratri_Cat
Ok...so you don't play happy music the month someone dies....

yes

Ratri_Cat
AND you don't play in the month of Moharam? User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

yes we dun

Ratri_Cat
What if you're planning to be wed ahead of time and someone dies? do you change the date?

yes at least a month later or probably more!!

Ratri_Cat
and what if no one dies in the Month of Moharam...is it ok if you play happy music?

i told you many were died at that time so we dun play it !!!  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:18 am
tassan
Ratri_Cat

yes

Ratri_Cat
AND you don't play in the month of Moharam? User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

yes we dun

Ratri_Cat
What if you're planning to be wed ahead of time and someone dies? do you change the date?

Ratri_Cat
and what if no one dies in the Month of Moharam...is it ok if you play happy music?

OK NOW I GET IT.

thanks for explaining.

Now what does the month of Moharam signify, exactly? ninja

Slick Southpaw

Feral Faun

Geek Zombie

6,300 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:17 am
Ratri_Cat
tassan
Ratri_Cat

yes

Ratri_Cat

yes we dun

Ratri_Cat

Ratri_Cat

OK NOW I GET IT.

thanks for explaining.

Now what does the month of Moharam signify, exactly? ninja

well i guess sources can define it better then me!!

and you will also find the details why we dun pay music be happy and all!!

basic info about Muharram
more about Muharram
about Karbala

i am sorry for because there is much of influence of characters!!

so right now i am seeing what i can do to make it more easy for you to understand characters as well!!

EDIT:: i guess better idea would be searching for each character you dun know, you can search it in wikipedia!! or you want me to put links here?

but still i am seeing what i can do!!  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:28 am
something else that is really important to say about the following wedding procedure, it is more of an indian subcontinent thing. the islamic weddings all have 2 things in common, the nikkah (the drawing of the marriage contract), and the bharrat (the formal giving away of the bride to the grooms family). every other part of the wedding varies depending on culture.

the rest of this is based on experience, so if i'm wrong, please feel free to CONSTRUCTIVELY correct my understanding.

ive seen some black american muslim weddings in which it was only the nikkah, and a formal wedding ceremony at a mosque.

another one i saw/heard about was an african american muslim wedding in which they had the above stated, and a mehndi type party, except with out the henna. but what set it apart was the fact that the first half was for couples, the second half was only for women. (the groom even had to leave)

ive seen in mixed (white convert/paki girl)that they had the traditional marriage, also with a full military wedding ceremony with sabers. ( i think they did that part for the sake of his parents)

ive heard of this funny practice in one of the -stans where the potential husband to be has to kidnap his bride to be. (yes, this is true, i saw it on PBS) but i dont remember if they were muslims. i just really think that this one was funnty

however, i must say, with out a doubt, Indian weddings are by far the best weddings in the world. in how many other cultures do the cousins of the bride get to steal the groom's shoe, and ransom it back to the groom for an overly inflated price? also, if you are having an indian wedding, it is imperative that you invite a turban (my very impolit way of saying a sikh) to the mehndi. sikhs really know how to dance. its heresy if a sikh cant dance. oh yeah, and i love the mendis. trying to come up with the best entrance for the bride's/groom's reception. its great. oh yeah, a pair of dholis, and some dancing midgets also go along way.

there are some diferences in the hindu/muslim/sikh indian weddings. however, the core parts are all the same. (nikkah, mayyoun, mendhi, bharrat, and walima). they are all just adapted in various ways to acommadate religious diferences.

eitherway, the point of the matter, is that there is NO uniform muslim. this is one of the grey areas in which cultures influence greatly how a wedding is to be conducted.

Funny Yummy Cupcake
An Islamic weddings consists of, well first the engagement. Then comes the mehndi (henna ceremony), and then the barat (wedding day), and last but not least the walima (feast).

People apply mehndi on the groom/bride's toes and hands. They feed her sweets and sing traditional songs teasing the bride's/groom's appearences. The bride mostly wears something sunny, like orange, yellow salwaar kameez.

The barat is the day where the wedding actually takes place. It can be anywhere, in a hall, tent, etc. Most commonly the bride wears red lenghas (a skirt secured to the waist.) and choli (blouse). At the near ending of the wedding, the groom takes the bride away.

The waleemah is a place where you can just have a big dinner and laugh and talk with your family.

(I must honestly say, it's much better then the Christian/catholic weddings. There are a number of days in Islamic weddings before the real wedding begins.)

kasimir-b

kasimir-b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:30 am
oh yeah, by western standards, the wedding would be official by the signing of the nikkah, however, by eastern standards, the marriage has not taken place until brides family has formally given the bride to the groom's family  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:33 am
another thing about indian weddings, the nikkah, mayyoun, mendhi and bharrat are paid for by the bride's family. only the Walima is paid by the groom's family.

and another funny thing specific to indian weddings, the dowry is paid for by the bride's family to be given to the groom's family. yes, i know, pretty messed up, but ya cant mess with tradition (note the sarcasm)  

kasimir-b

spottystripes

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:47 am
i think that there was a great war in the month of moharrem - so its like mass murder and stuff thats why it is soo significat to muslims and so we dont play music -- i think thats rght -- please correct me if wrong! biggrin  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:14 am
kasimir-b
another thing about indian weddings, the nikkah, mayyoun, mendhi and bharrat are paid for by the bride's family. only the Walima is paid by the groom's family.

and another funny thing specific to indian weddings, the dowry is paid for by the bride's family to be given to the groom's family. yes, i know, pretty messed up, but ya cant mess with tradition (note the sarcasm)

It was also like that in Denmark in the old times! But even in the weirdest things there can be a good reason... And you lucky i know why razz

Reason: The groom's family payed for his education, and that's why they say that the bride's family must pay for the wedding... That's the danish reason!

And some people(i think mongolians and some tribes) pays to get a bride example: 30 bison's for a lady 3nodding  

Zaakii

XeroRyn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:09 am
Funny Yummy Cupcake
An Islamic weddings consists of, well first the engagement. Then comes the mehndi (henna ceremony), and then the barat (wedding day), and last but not least the walima (feast).

People apply mehndi on the groom/bride's toes and hands. They feed her sweets and sing traditional songs teasing the bride's/groom's appearences. The bride mostly wears something sunny, like orange, yellow salwaar kameez.

The barat is the day where the wedding actually takes place. It can be anywhere, in a hall, tent, etc. Most commonly the bride wears red lenghas (a skirt secured to the waist.) and choli (blouse). At the near ending of the wedding, the groom takes the bride away.

The waleemah is a place where you can just have a big dinner and laugh and talk with your family.

(I must honestly say, it's much better then the Christian/catholic weddings. There are a number of days in Islamic weddings before the real wedding begins.)

that is not an Islamic wedding...that is wedding is base on your societies tradition
our ways of wedding is different  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:24 am
now this is the fundamental rules in Islamic wedding

The must requirement

1st must have a groom(male)
2nd must have a bride (female)
3rd must have witnesses
4th must have wali
5th ijab and qabul

wali is someone to to represent a woman in the wedding to give permission or the woman to wed

wali requirement

male
sbaligh(achive puberty)
islam
have senses (not crazy)

2 types of wali is regular wali and wali hakim

regular wali is the woman family male member range from first is father, grandfather, uncle, brother and so on

wali hakim is used when there isnt any regular wali that met the requirement and couldnt be found. Wali hakim is friend or or an imam

ijab and qabul

this is the same with saying i do..this is an oath make by the groom saying he is accepting the woman as his wife in one breath

we also need to include mahar..this is something to give the bride as a symbol of the marriage....modern days use money  

XeroRyn

XeroRyn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:28 am
how we celebrate the wedding is depends on the culture around it....

the same in every culture is the walimahtul urus...this actually provide dishes for people (something like that) viewing the wedding as a form of thanks and gratitude  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:09 am
i told you there are a imllion different kind of muslim weddings. its all based on culture  

kasimir-b

Zaakii

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:53 am
Yes there is lol But there us some general "rules" in muslim weddings...(i think)

Like nikah and... I don't remmember more lol  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:29 am
XeroRyn

we also need to include mahar..this is something to give the bride as a symbol of the marriage....modern days use money

i thought i was haram?

and in modern days there is gold as well!!  

Geek Zombie

6,300 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

XeroRyn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:59 pm
what is haram?

mahar is needed as there is a an ask Rsulullah how is he going to give mahar if he has no money...except a metal ring. Rasulullah said give her that ring as a symbol.

That means mahar is needed  
☪)Islamic Discussion(☪

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces