View Results

LadyEladrin

Friendly Werewolf

7,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:00 pm
I'd have to do a lot more research into the Romantic movement to answer that one. They are connected in that they're both movements as reactions to what's come before them, but are they actually connected? I'd have to read more.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:31 pm
WebenBanu
Nihilistic Seraph
I think she just made the mistake of sticking in "Wicca" instead of "paganism" Romanticism is hardly a big movement today.

But Romanticism was big in its day, and Wicca is big now. I've been thinking of this as a comparison between two movements which are very similar in many respects- Romanticism being the first of the two, of course.^_^ The two need not be bound by anything stronger than that a member of one would probably find the other to be interesting.

Then again, how different is the modern Wiccan movement from Romanticism? I don't recall a great deal about it, but it seems to me that the Romantics idealized natural settings and dabbled in the occult. Wicca does the same, so in that sense do you think Wicca could be considered a "reincarnation" of the Romantic movement in modern times?
Well.....

I think it was the Victorians that were more interested in the occult. The Romantics themselves had very little to do with paganism, as much as the movement had similar ideals. Instead they went for different areas of Christian Mysticism. Allow me to refresh myself on the period and I'll get back to you with some more definite points.  

Nihilistic Seraph
Vice Captain

Leith

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:46 pm
Hypomanic Poet
Wicca has been so often turned into a flowery romantic "let's frolick about in a meadow of lilies" kind of religion, a religion of peace. Especially Celtic and Greek Wicca, The myths and lore have been glorified and romanticised to an extreme.

I gotta agree with the poet. I've noticed that all too often, wiccans (mostly those fluffy ones who only do it to be 'misterious' or different) pick and choose what parts of history to associate themselves with. For example, they tend to be all gung-ho about the druids, but mention a goat getting sacrificed, and everyone goes all crazy. Don't getme wrong, I love goats (No, not like that you pervs) and don't beleive in sacrificing animals, but if someone is going to claim roots in another relgion, they should take responsibility for all aspects, not just the fuzzy ones.  
Sacred Sources -The Outer Forum -

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff