Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply Multimedia
Nightmare Before Christmas,,,,Goth or just cool? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

NBC goth?
  Yes
  No
  Depends
View Results

This Old Oscillator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:02 pm
Goth_Star101
its both cool and goth deal with it stare

Fail  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:47 am
I don't know why Tim Burton has been associated with goth, but he sure has a twist. I like the movie in general and i could see some aspects that make people associate it with the goth culture.  

Gothic Muffin of Doom

Dangerous Vampire

10,850 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Beta Citizen 0

Xx_Pandavik_xX

Hallowed Lover

15,150 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Magical Gems 500
  • That One Hero 500
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:04 pm
I think NBC is a little goth but not enough to officially label it that. I do think Tim Burtains' movies have a comic or dark feeling to them. I heard people say that NBC was either a freaky and/or emo. I just don't understand why though. I mean can't there be a dark, humorous family movie that doesn't involve princesses and kisses, and all those Disney lies?  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:29 pm
I agree with what This Old Oscillator said, it's mostly because of Hottopic probably.

I always found NBC to be kind of... boring... to be honest, even as a kid so I fail to see the big deal. >_< Like almost every Tim Burton movie I've seen.. it was 'ok' but not great or anything for me. sweatdrop

Though I am a bit curious to see what he does with his Alice In Wonderland movie, but I don't have high expectations for it. ><  

Awesome Akwardness

xXbandagedkneeXx

7,350 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Voter 100
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:52 am
its not.. but its juz okay.. i mean.. i am enjoying it.. cheese_whine  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:50 am
Ninja Vicky
I think NBC is a little goth but not enough to officially label it that. I do think Tim Burtains' movies have a comic or dark feeling to them. I heard people say that NBC was either a freaky and/or emo. I just don't understand why though. I mean can't there be a dark, humorous family movie that doesn't involve princesses and kisses, and all those Disney lies?

i agree with you completely.  

Ayame_Rikimayu

Keevan Draco

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:55 am
everyone is entitled to their own opinion....

I feel that NBC falls somewhere within the fringe of what we consider goth. The same could be said for Gaiman, Barker, Mcfarlane, and Del Torro as well. The iconography is there, though thinly veiled to appeal to the mass majority of the non-gothic community. We see what's there, The masses see cute fantasy/horror stories without any clue to the underlying hints, and references the directors and authors leave behind in their movies as an ad homage to the influences that inspired them in the first place.

Almost all of Burtons body of work has those little tidbits scattered throughout his films, even in "Dead Man Walking" (come on! the final boat ride of Depp's character was inspired by the "Lady of Shalot" and then "Mort de Authure" by Tennission). "Sweeny Todd" was about as Edwardian Gothic as one could get by with without offending the censors.
And the list goes on and on.....  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:06 pm
My answer to this: Why does it matter?  

Katanas Blade

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:27 pm
KeevanSixx
everyone is entitled to their own opinion....

I feel that NBC falls somewhere within the fringe of what we consider goth. The same could be said for Gaiman, Barker, Mcfarlane, and Del Torro as well. The iconography is there, though thinly veiled to appeal to the mass majority of the non-gothic community. We see what's there, The masses see cute fantasy/horror stories without any clue to the underlying hints, and references the directors and authors leave behind in their movies as an ad homage to the influences that inspired them in the first place.

Almost all of Burtons body of work has those little tidbits scattered throughout his films, even in "Dead Man Walking" (come on! the final boat ride of Depp's character was inspired by the "Lady of Shalot" and then "Mort de Authure" by Tennission). "Sweeny Todd" was about as Edwardian Gothic as one could get by with without offending the censors.
And the list goes on and on.....

A well thought out and well put answer.

Katanas Blade
My answer to this: Why does it matter?

I can think of a number of reasons, but a few of them may be vaguely insulting to the OP, so I'll stay quiet.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:22 am
I think its cool and a little gothy. i mean its a Halloween movie after all.  

Scarlet Monroe

Aged Sex Symbol

8,150 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250

AEtherclaw

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:00 pm
whatever it is the mass of it's cult following is just plain annoying.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:55 am
I don't think the movie itself is goth, but the sub culture seems to have claimed it and people recognize that.

I appreciate Tim Burton's work, including NMBC, but they are overrated.

I do enjoy NMBC & I dearly love BeetleJuice, but I personally didn't take to Corpse Bride. Sweeney Todd was based on a stort that is far older, so i'm not even going to get into that, but none of the movies I do like make me want to join a cult about them- then again, I don't see why anyone would join a cult based on a movie in the first place.

Anyway, what i'm saying is the movies are good, but still extreamly overrated.

Satan on Speed

mechanical kitsy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:21 pm
it's just an awesome movie imo.
i really do like all of tim burton's movies, though, so i may be a bit prejudice.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:31 am
Hm. As I can call myself an expert in neither Tim Burton or goth culture, all I can add to this discussion is my opinion.
Almost everything I like about the goth subculture is represented in Tim Burton's films. I suppose I could say if Tim Burton's art isn't goth, I don't want to be, I want to be whatever it is.
But don't listen to me, I'm just a fangirl. Though I don't think Nightmare Before Christmas was his best work. It was lovely, though.

The Goth Apple

Dapper Dabbler

14,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

Ayame_Rikimayu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:38 am
Scarlet Monroe
I think its cool and a little gothy. i mean its a Halloween movie after all.

i always thought of it more as a xmas movie w/ a dark twist. i usually watch it around then, so...  
Multimedia

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff