Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Smilies or no? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Is it "TXT TLK"?
  Yes.
  No.
  Other? (explain)
View Results

Quatrina

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:16 pm
I don't put them in the same category myself. They're not as obnoxious to me as needlessly shortened words, it's not like they're something you need to wrack your brain to decipher, and they are a good way to show emotion I think. I would rather see "XD" than "lol" any day, and I honestly probably use that one too much myself. But oh well.

That said, I generally hate graphical smilies. The ones on gaia are alright, they're pretty simple and tasteful, but when I was using aim...6? I was pretty much going crazy because they took away the option to turn the damn graphical smilies off. I managed to go find some less horrifying ones that showed when I used them, but I couldn't very well ask all my friends to go to the trouble to go change theirs as well. I'm pretty sure some of them are on an older version of aim, in which turning them off completely was still an option.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:10 pm
Do not use similes much, but i know it is accepted most of the time on the chats.  

Marytanna

Star Giver

19,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Wiianddsfan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:06 pm
Smileies are not text talk. Smilies show emotion because the other person cannot see you. ( Unless you have a webcam. )
Text talk is for lazy people! It shows no emotion, it shows " I'm lazy" or " I don't know how to spell this."
Smilies are totally acceptable.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:10 pm
I use them all the time.
|:

Except I do them backwards, since I hate most of the premade images used to symbolise them.
It's a habit now.

They definately aren't text talk.

Thundurr

Critical Cookies

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:00 pm
I use them a lot, but I don't use the smilies provided by gaia. They're definitely not "txt talk."  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:41 pm
I use them. I believe that they can be crucial to understanding the tone of what someone's trying to get across to you. Tone is very important, and hard to get across on the internet. Sometimes, bold and italics just don't work.

smile  

Henneth Annun

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:48 pm
Ugh, the pre-made Gaia smilies... I really don't like the look of them, since it ruins the continuity of the text (which is why I appreciate grammar in the first place). The yellow (or pink, or green) isn't as sightly to me as a text-based emoticon, such as " =D " or " >.0 ".  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:02 pm
I LOVE emoticons.

They just give this whole new mood to the text. I LOVE the 3nodding emoticon. I think that it's so much fun.  

Fyre in teh Hoal

Master Akhekhu Crocell

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:33 pm
I'll only use text-based smilies like "^_^" and only at the end of a post. I hate seeing emoticons/smilies spammed in the middle of messages. In my opinion, it looks terrible and causes the poster to look as though they're in middle school. If there's only a few or they're at the end of the post, it doesn't bother me.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:28 pm
I consider them to be a modified form of txt tlk, as they are a way of shortening your emotions into a couple symbols. However, they are not quite as annoying. Overuse is infuriating, but a couple here and there doesn't bother me. I'll admit to having participated in threads where, out of boredom and a lack of anything better to do, people made whole posts of emoticons. Mainly the domo one, back when we still had it, in the domo guild (shocker, huh?).  

Sachiko13

Ithaya

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:29 am
Personally, I like text smileys, but for the most part hate the pre-made ones (except for the "ninja" emote on here).
Also, those big flashy glittery ones offend me to no end.

However, I feel the text ones, at least, make up for the lack of tone, pitch and expression online.

And I've made a habit out of using "=" or "x" where most people use ":", to avoid getting the premade ones.

P.S., Sorry for the excessive quote marks but my sentence looked strange littered with useless punctuation and letters.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:23 am
Ikonik Angel
Personally, I like text smileys, but for the most part hate the pre-made ones (except for the "ninja" emote on here).
Also, those big flashy glittery ones offend me to no end.

However, I feel the text ones, at least, make up for the lack of tone, pitch and expression online.

And I've made a habit out of using "=" or "x" where most people use ":", to avoid getting the premade ones.

P.S., Sorry for the excessive quote marks but my sentence looked strange littered with useless punctuation and letters.

Agreed.

Then again, pretty much anything big, flashy, and glittery is an eyesore. Don't even get me started on some of the horrors I've seen on MySpace. It's a toxic wasteland of glittery crap and animated smiley faces.

Smiley central is one of the biggest offenders, since it's malware in the first place. Plus, those smileys are gorram annoying. >.<  

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

ImaginationRunningWild

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:17 pm
I'm sorry, I had to laugh when I saw MyOwnBestCritic's post that ended in "...gorram annoying." Watched Serenity lately? =p

Aha! Caught myself! I have found myself using smilies and whatnot a lot lately. I much prefer them to convey emotion, particularly when I'm teasing people. I definitely don't consider them "Txt tlk."

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:48 am
Although I use smilies, I consider it "txt tlk".  

iesl

Samaura

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:59 am
I don't believe that it is text talk, you can get a point across to make an inflection that you can not do with your voice. The only other way to do this is to role play. An example of this *smiles happily* but it isn't as visually appealing as =D

As for my heart at the end of all my posts, it is just the way of my post style and has been since before people started to use the "fancy posts".

[size=11][color=violet] [/color][/size] :heart:

There is nothing wrong with it. heart  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas