Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
"okay" "O.K" or "ok" Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Alright, how do you answer in the affirmative?
  okay
  ok
  o.k.
  OK
  O.K.
View Results

Eliasjor

4,300 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:44 pm
mc2
gsora358
I spell it out. because I hate it when published authors use "OK" or "O.K." instead of "okay." It makes them sound very childish.

Okay, I'm glad that I am not the only one who goes completely bonkers over that. I always thought that "OK" or "O.K." is not only very immature to use in writing but also very ugly. I just wonder when and how did "OK" or "O.K." ever become acceptable to use.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.<--- Click on them... They don't bite that much...

The one sad thing is that i showed this to a friend and she did not know that "ok" is an acronym. Also, i think that some people cannot read any other "okay" than "ok", okay?
User Image

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:15 pm
I always spell it out, 'okay'.
I use just 'K' alot too, though.

Thundurr

Spanakopita

Aekea Perfectionist

11,000 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Olympian 200
  • Champion 300
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:48 pm
I normally type of "okay". If I am just IMing someone it doesn't bug me that they simply use "ok", but if you are writing something it is a big no-no. Also, where did the shortened version even come from? The word is only four letters!  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:59 pm
I have no preference. I use "OK," "ok," and "okay." I do not like when people simplify it even more and just type "k." That diminishes my opinion of them to that slightly above a retard. I try not to let it bother me, because my fiance does that garbage, but I can't help it.

Anyone know the origin?
My fiance said it was a military term coming from "0 Kills" meaning that no one on their side died, so everything was "OK" versus "KO'd" lol It's an interesting background, but I'm not sure I can believe it right off the bat.

Satin Kiss

egginaframe

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:11 pm
Dark Amnesty
I spell it out. because I hate it when published authors use "OK" or "O.K." instead of "okay." It makes them sound very childish.

Amen to that.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:51 pm
I generally use "okay," although I have been known to type " 'kay" or "mkay." Actually, I think I probably use "mkay" more than the real thing.  

Fionnabhair Aoife

angelswolf121

Partying Codger

8,850 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Champion 300
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:56 pm
I'll use "ok" or "OK" whenever I'm in a hurry, but I normally like to use "okay".  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:22 am
I never use it in formal writings. I always use "alright."  

Satin Kiss

Critical Cookies

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:43 pm
I always use "okay." Someone said that they did not like it when people use "k" instead of "okay." I agree with you completely.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:50 pm
I hate how authors sometimes spell 'O.K'. or 'OK', I am not sure if it's just me but I really get annoyed by it. I just spell it 'Okay'.  

Chibi Purple Rainbows

Master Akhekhu Crocell

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:26 pm
I tend to spell it out, but occasionally I'll say 'ok' out of laziness. I hate it when authors write OK or O.K... I don't know why, but it bothers me. I'd prefer if it was written as 'ok' at the very least.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:39 am
Okay. Always.
To denote pronunciation I have been known to use 'kay.
K and ok annoy me to no end.

O.K. I can handle.

However, I was reading something once that seemed to make out that the phrase was originally an initialism, which would mean that the correct written form is O.K..
And what I heard wasn't what Satin wrote. There was about three different suggestions and the only one I remember was something about a Native American chief whose initials were OK.
Ah, here we are.

"The expression seems to have first appeared in print during 1839 in the Boston Morning Post and later popularised during the 1840 election campaign of Martin Van Buren of Kinderhook. He was known as 'Old Kinderhook' -- OK for short. Twenty years later, during the American civil War, soldiers relied on a biscuit called Orrin Kendall...and a port in Haiti...was famous...for its rum, known as 'OK Rum'. But before all this there lived a popular native American chief called Old Keokuk who signed all his treaties by using only his initials."
-- Excerpt from Red Herrings and White Elephants by Albert Jack.

Ithaya

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces