Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Prefer?
  Night
  Morning
View Results

Sephirob

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:58 pm
Yesss let's not mention schoolie things. I too am going to be having to done one of those book length papers when I start my masters in Asian Studies soon. >,< I want to enjoy the last... erm... 6 days...

Aw crap crying  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:26 pm
Bleh. School for me has been going for 3 weeks now Dx.
Nothing horribly bad.
Some Algebra 1 I am not getting, but I'll make it through.
I have an essay due in two days about my hobby.. whcih is a centimeter of a weed in that jungle of homework you guys have o.O;.

-Sigh- I'll miss these days. So I'll love that I have little homework.

G33K 1N P1NK

Destructive-Kiwi
Vice Captain

Dapper Gekko

8,500 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Generous 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:28 am
So I'm guessing your in middle school? My tension span is so short that I could easily write that paper and more, just last night I could only read 20 pages out of my history book, I'm suppose to read 112 pages... I have a long way to go and school starts back up very soon, so learn to knick that darn habit of procrastination in butt soon..

Asian Studies? What's that like?  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:22 pm
Destructive-Kiwi
Asian Studies? What's that like?

Surprisingly harder than one might think. In order to get a degree in it, you need to study a language, go on a few trips, do a lot of history and culture-based work, basically write a few books, etc. At least, that's what it's like at the college I'm going to start at on Aug. 31.

Majoring in German and Japanese, for some reason I really want to learn Chinese as well. Tried one year of French in H.S., barely remember anything, but I can still read your siggy easily. Maybe I'll come back to it, who knows.

~Mae

Maesenko

Sephirob

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:10 pm
To D-Kiwi: For my program, it's actually really Japan studies, since that's the focus I have chosen, and a country focus is required. I further have to pick something more to zero in on too, mostly for the thesis and all, i.e. that book-length paper... I will probably do something boring and tedious sounding like... oh... the perseverance of the influence of the Atomic Bombings on Japan in mainstream culture, and the associated global peace movements that have developed from the A-bomb experience. o,0 Whew. I lived in Hiroshima and Nagasaki, so i have a good background for it.

Anyway! Asian Studies is kind of broad really, it's sort of a mix between history and anthropology, with poli-sci in there as well. There are also a TON of countries that they consider as part of the Asian Studies field, too. Basically, If you start in the Middle East , and go all the way east across the rest of the continent, include every South East Asian island nation and over to Japan, you have the general area. And even Russia and Australia are in there too... >,< So, you can see why Asian Studies programs tend to make you focus on one particular country, or at most, just a couple of countries, hehe.

It's a great field. I'm very happy to be going more in-depth with it. My undergrad minor was in Asian Studies, and that was only because my University didn't offer a major in it. o,0  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:28 pm
Oh wow, so much work, well.. I wish ya tons of luck!
Anybody got a favorite country they've visited?  

Destructive-Kiwi
Vice Captain

Dapper Gekko

8,500 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Generous 100
  • Person of Interest 200

Sephirob

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:49 pm
Japan. wink I lived there for 13 months. Dying to go back again... and spend lots of money on toys, games, and manga... again... Oh and erm uh... Study and learn Japanese and stuff... *cough*  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:09 pm
I'm going to Japan in 2015, just don't know where yet. Any suggestions?  

Destructive-Kiwi
Vice Captain

Dapper Gekko

8,500 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Generous 100
  • Person of Interest 200

despisd

3,700 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:33 pm
I loved scuba diving in cozumel. Thats probably one of my favorite places... That and it had no drinking age... So... [epic dots]  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:51 pm
Depends on what kind of experience you want on your visit. If you go, you need to get outside of Tokyo. Tokyo is great, but its a very different place than the rest of Japan.

Hiroshima is a great place to go, less packed and easy to get around than most of the usual big cities. Hiroshima also has Miyajima only an easy train ride away, and that place is just one of the most incredible sites in the world. It's a sacred island shrine, and its where that famous gate in the water is.

However if you just want to stick with what is mainstream and more in line with what you might expect of Japan, Tokyo is great, and of course, if you really are any kind of Otaku, well... need I say more than Akihabara? Or, if you have loads of money to blow, Shinjuku for your shopping fix. I spent all my money in Akihabara though...

Kyoto is great if you want to focus on more of "traditional" Japan. There are a million amazing shrines in that city, and my favorite one in all of Japan is Fushimi Inari Jinja there. That's a must see. I just went to shrines all day and still didn't see every one on my list by far. Nara is really close to Kyoto, and well worth seeing...

But... picking places to go... you should consider the time of year and such too. March is good, cause then the cherry blossoms are doing their thing...  

Sephirob

Maesenko

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:12 pm
Sephirob
Depends on what kind of experience you want on your visit. If you go, you need to get outside of Tokyo. Tokyo is great, but its a very different place than the rest of Japan.

Hiroshima is a great place to go, less packed and easy to get around than most of the usual big cities. Hiroshima also has Miyajima only an easy train ride away, and that place is just one of the most incredible sites in the world. It's a sacred island shrine, and its where that famous gate in the water is.

However if you just want to stick with what is mainstream and more in line with what you might expect of Japan, Tokyo is great, and of course, if you really are any kind of Otaku, well... need I say more than Akihabara? Or, if you have loads of money to blow, Shinjuku for your shopping fix. I spent all my money in Akihabara though...

Kyoto is great if you want to focus on more of "traditional" Japan. There are a million amazing shrines in that city, and my favorite one in all of Japan is Fushimi Inari Jinja there. That's a must see. I just went to shrines all day and still didn't see every one on my list by far. Nara is really close to Kyoto, and well worth seeing...

But... picking places to go... you should consider the time of year and such too. March is good, cause then the cherry blossoms are doing their thing...

You can't forget about Osaka, merchant capital of Japan! KUI-DO-RE (sp?)!!!

That reminds me...anybody else like Mansai?

~Mae

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:06 pm
Thats the thing about Osaka. It's forgettable. *grins* The best thing I saw in Osaka was the huuuuuuge aquarium they have there, the Kaiyukan, complete with a freaking whale shark. I love aquariums, and that was indeed the best I have ever been in, but that was about the only highlight for my time there. Hiroshima, Nara, Kyoto, those were the places you can easily get the most for your money in terms of tons of great places within striking distance.

Course everyone I know who went to Kansai Gaidai university hung out in Osaka haha, but all went to Kyoto on the weekends. That is probably the best thing about Osaka, it's a good place to stay in if you're going to Kyoto or Nara, because its way cheaper than either of the other two cities.

Oh ok, Osaka's other good and notable feature (besides Universal Studios: Japan, and the reproduction Osaka castle, the original was bombed in the war): People there do speak hilarious Japanese. My Japanese friends and I tried not to talk to too many local people, cause we just kept chuckling at the responses and felt really rude >,< Course we speak with Nagasaki accents and mannerisms so I'm sure they thought we were weird and funny too...

((yadda yadda... I'm going on a lot today... *sigh* bored and waiting for the WoW beta servers to come back up...))  

Sephirob

Sound Of A Girl Hatching

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:33 pm
i don't go back till the 27th still have to finish alive though. Ahh i feel young here although i hope i don't come across as a little kid. I mean I at least hope i come across as might right age. Cuz i can't do that much in real life..

Anyway i have thought a bout becoming a teacher i would love to teach history, ah i just love learning about it! most recently i have enjoyed reading about the Edo period of japan the best! plus the horror stores are the best from then.

what i would really love to do is open a small clothing store, with my own designs, I think it would be a lolita store. But i still have some time to decide, so i think i will take my time and hopefully choose my right path.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:29 am
No drinking, age? Hhmmm.. Just makes Holland sound more fun.

Sephirob, your awesome! I'll actually have look this stuff up, I'm more of a historical person, so I think I would wanna check out Kyoto... Even though I'll be one, I don't like tourists, they've ruined everything. Such as.. Hawaii, it's a beautiful place but I hate it, it's so overpacked with tourists who want to have the real 'luau' experience and such, it just kills it..

Sound Of A Girl Hatching, I wish ya luck on the teaching or designer store! Also, no shame in liking history, I seem to be on that same boat too. >.<  

Destructive-Kiwi
Vice Captain

Dapper Gekko

8,500 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Generous 100
  • Person of Interest 200

Sephirob

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:20 pm
I want to go to Hawaii someday! =D Was the food there great? I have heard some really great things about Luau cooking and hawaii eats...

And if it's history you're into D-Kiwi, I highly recommend going to Kyushu. Not only will you find waaaay less tourists, a bus ride from Fukuoka (which is the largest city on Kyushu, and a really huge place with everything you could want shopping-wise and beyond) are the oldest ruins in Japan. There are also a bunch of really great museums in Fukuoka itself.

Kyushu is really awesome. It's the place a whole bunch of really important, but little known history happened. The Mongols came ashore near Fukuoka, and you can see a bunch of sites on the coast that have to do with that. You should also go out to Nagasaki, it's my favorite city in Japan, actually. It's such a fascinating place, and has a ridiculous amount of history! Since 1550 it was the only open port in Japan, so everyone who came to trade, like the Portugese, the Dutch, and also the Chinese traders, all went through Nagasaki. It's home to Mitsubishi's shipyard, the largest dry dock in Japan. It was the wealthiest city in Japan until the Meiji restoration. It has the third 'greatest' festival in Japan, Kunchi. It's also the Christian center of Japan, and used to have the largest cathedral in Asia. It also was, of course, hit with the second Atomic bomb. o,0 and more, I'm just doing the highlights haha.

So for history, go to Kyushu !

I lived in Nagasaki for 11 months so it's a special place to me. wink  
Chatterbox

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas