Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:11 pm
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
Come to think of it, there are a couple guns I'd like that cost under $500.

A Judge and a Saiga.

That's a tough choice.
Spend $30 more and get a Saiga 12. 3nodding
See, therein squats the frog. I mean, I like the compatibility between a .410 pistol and a .410 long gun, and I like the low recoil that would come with it, and the probably higher magazine capacity, and that I'd only need to buy one kind of ammo, but then again, 12 gauge is 12 gauge and nothing can beat that kind of stopping power for home defense (or any other common application).

... so what would you do with the Judge?
Alternate rounds? One .410 one .45 Colt & repeat?
All .410. If he's close enough to be a threat, it's close enough to be effective. If he has a gun, it'll at least scare him shitless.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:08 am
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel

A Judge and a Saiga.

That's a tough choice.
See, therein squats the frog. I mean, I like the compatibility between a .410 pistol and a .410 long gun, and I like the low recoil that would come with it, and the probably higher magazine capacity, and that I'd only need to buy one kind of ammo, but then again, 12 gauge is 12 gauge and nothing can beat that kind of stopping power for home defense (or any other common application).

All .410. If he's close enough to be a threat, it's close enough to be effective. If he has a gun, it'll at least scare him shitless.

Alright.
Huh, something about that just seems odd to me, not sure what though.

Doesn't the Judge have a rifled barrel, and that does make the shot scatter immediately correct?  

OberFeldwebel

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:40 am
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel

A Judge and a Saiga.

That's a tough choice.

Alright.

Doesn't the Judge have a rifled barrel, and that does make the shot scatter immediately correct?
Yup. Average self-defense range is, what , seven feet? This target was shot at five feet in the head, ten in the chest with #4 buck.
User Image

I'm sure to land at least one pellet at even 15 or 20 feet. With six shots I can likely hit several times. At closer ranges a person would be devastated by that. In my house I'd be using the Saiga by preference, which would give a better shot pattern.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:29 pm
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel

Alright.

Yup. Average self-defense range is, what , seven feet? This target was shot at five feet in the head, ten in the chest with #4 buck.
User Image

I'm sure to land at least one pellet at even 15 or 20 feet. With six shots I can likely hit several times. At closer ranges a person would be devastated by that. In my house I'd be using the Saiga by preference, which would give a better shot pattern.

Not to mention it's semi-auto.
rolleyes

Are you going to get the hunting version or the Saiga 12s?

I'm sure the 12s could be easily adapted to hunting purposes.

Quote:
It is offered for export, but with such a short barrel it is illegal in many states. The longer barreled version, Saiga 12S, is similar to 12K in every respect except that it has a barrel 520 mm long (20 2/5"), so it has no block and can be fired with butt folded.

But I suppose you still want the .410. I wonder if the Saiga 12 furniture is compatible with the .410, and even if it's available.  

OberFeldwebel

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:29 am
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel

Alright.

User Image

rolleyes

Quote:
It is offered for export, but with such a short barrel it is illegal in many states. The longer barreled version, Saiga 12S, is similar to 12K in every respect except that it has a barrel 520 mm long (20 2/5"), so it has no block and can be fired with butt folded.

But I suppose you still want the .410. I wonder if the Saiga 12 furniture is compatible with the .410, and even if it's available.
Most Saigas I've seen go for 400+, but Centerfire Systems sells one for just under 300, sooo... whatever they have. xd
Looks like a 19" barrel.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:38 pm
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel

Alright.

User Image

rolleyes

Quote:

Most Saigas I've seen go for 400+, but Centerfire Systems sells one for just under 300, sooo... whatever they have. xd
Looks like a 19" barrel.

Ah, I don't really like that kind of stock.
Personal opinion though.
The 12s is an 18.5" barrel.  

OberFeldwebel

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:54 pm
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel

Alright.

User Image

rolleyes

Quote:

Looks like a 19" barrel.

Personal opinion though.
I do like the Monte Carlo stock, but what else is there? I haven't seen any other choices.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:35 am
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
User Image

rolleyes

Quote:

Looks like a 19" barrel.

Personal opinion though.
I do like the Monte Carlo stock, but what else is there? I haven't seen any other choices.

Well, they don't sell too many of the 'military type' stocks.

Nah. I don't think they can accept AK stocks. sad

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/images/view.aspx?imageUrl=/ProductImages/long_guns/SAI-20-B.jpg

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/images/view.aspx?imageUrl=/ProductImages/long_guns/SAI-762PG-B.jpg

Look at where the trigger guard and trigger's located. :/

Ah here we go.
It's a start but I don't like it.

http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=25_30&products_id=165&zenid=0e948db38877135ce50da846ccf9006b

Look down on the page, the folding mechanism is there.

Maybe...

http://www.madwulf.com/Saiga410page2.htm

?  

OberFeldwebel

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:23 am
A folding stock holds no temptation for me, especially with that kind of price tag. I followed the link to "these guys do it professionally", and the only mods that tempted me were the molded foregrip, which looked like a ten-minute replacement deal, and the MP5-style sights.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:36 am
Fresnel
A folding stock holds no temptation for me, especially with that kind of price tag. I followed the link to "these guys do it professionally", and the only mods that tempted me were the molded foregrip, which looked like a ten-minute replacement deal, and the MP5-style sights.

Ah ok then. No kind of folding stock at all?

Like I said, I didn't like that tube frame stock.

The original Saiga 12 folding stock looks a lot better. It's actually what I was hoping to find.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Do you agree?  

OberFeldwebel

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:41 am
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel

The original Saiga 12 folding stock looks a lot better. It's actually what I was hoping to find.

Do you agree?
In this case, yes. I doubt I'd ever fold the stock, but it's a solid-frame stock, and the pistol grip is a nice use. If I could find one that was like that stock, I'd do it, but it's not worth doubling the price of the gun to me.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:42 am
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel

Do you agree?
In this case, yes. I doubt I'd ever fold the stock, but it's a solid-frame stock, and the pistol grip is a nice use. If I could find one that was like that stock, I'd do it, but it's not worth doubling the price of the gun to me.

Yeah I suppose. Probably in the future they'll have those kinds of stocks available.
Hmm, nvm. I guess they used both stocks.

They said that they used this kind of folding stock as well.

OberFeldwebel

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:53 am
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel

Do you agree?

Yeah I suppose. Probably in the future they'll have those kinds of stocks available.

I found two other kinds of stocks for any Saiga model on eBay. Neither requires gunsmithing.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:18 am
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel

Do you agree?

I found two other kinds of stocks for any Saiga model on eBay. Neither requires gunsmithing.

Ah excellent.
I like the cheek rest one but the collapsing stocks I never like.  

OberFeldwebel

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:47 am
Posted in wrong thread. Lol

I found something.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=107922864

And you can spend the rest on 50 rounds of ammo. stare  
Buying and Advice

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash