Welcome to Gaia! ::

T3h Movie World - Watch Movies / RP / Chat / Games / Preview

Back to Guilds

Nice selection of Movies, good topics and an active friendly community. 

Tags: Movies, Entertainment, Anime, Disney, Action 

Reply Classic - Old - Independent Movies
A Clockwork Orange Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

cteddiesgirl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:07 pm
Lolicat von Doom
cteddiesgirl
I hated it. It's truly disgusting and repulsive. I found it truly offensive in just about every way.
I bought it on dvd I think about 2000 or 2001 just because there were so many good recommendations for it and because of Malcolm McDowell. I watched it once. Then I immediately sold it. At least I made a profit off of it.

I've never been a Kubrick fan and never will be.

To be honest, if art was afraid of being offensive, it would never get anywhere. Films like Singing in the Rain have little artistic value compared to something like A Clockwork Orange. That said, I am not a Kubrick fan either, I think he gets too much adoration for his work. Films like Spartacus have actually aged badly.

You may consider it art. I certainly don't. I don't call rape and violence art and I certainly don't call it entertainment.

Then again. I don't consider Picasso art either. razz  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:37 pm
cteddiesgirl
Lolicat von Doom
cteddiesgirl
I hated it. It's truly disgusting and repulsive. I found it truly offensive in just about every way.
I bought it on dvd I think about 2000 or 2001 just because there were so many good recommendations for it and because of Malcolm McDowell. I watched it once. Then I immediately sold it. At least I made a profit off of it.

To be honest, if art was afraid of being offensive, it would never get anywhere. Films like Singing in the Rain have little artistic value compared to something like A Clockwork Orange. That said, I am not a Kubrick fan either, I think he gets too much adoration for his work. Films like Spartacus have actually aged badly.

You may consider it art. I certainly don't. I don't call rape and violence art and I certainly don't call it entertainment.

I question your definition of art then, if you refuse to recognise Cubism and the like. Rape and violence, too, are essential parts of post-modernist and modernist art, that hopes to confront the viewer with more than simple aetheticism, which is merely bourgeoisie nonsense and artistically pointless.

Excuse spelling mistakes, I am inebriated.  

loIitoads

cteddiesgirl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:53 pm
Lolicat von Doom
cteddiesgirl
Lolicat von Doom
cteddiesgirl

I question your definition of art then, if you refuse to recognise Cubism and the like. Rape and violence, too, are essential parts of post-modernist and modernist art, that hopes to confront the viewer with more than simple aetheticism, which is merely bourgeoisie nonsense and artistically pointless.

Oh. I recognize that most people consider Cubism as art. I just call it ugly. I don't know why rape and violence would be essential. Rape is against the law for a good reason. It's important to discuss rape and violence to try to help deter it, but this film almost glorifies it. Which to me is disgusting and unnecessary.

You might have a different view if you were close to someone who had experienced rape or if you had been raped.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:07 am
cteddiesgirl
Lolicat von Doom
cteddiesgirl
Lolicat von Doom
cteddiesgirl

Oh. I recognize that most people consider Cubism as art. I just call it ugly. I don't know why rape and violence would be essential. Rape is against the law for a good reason. It's important to discuss rape and violence to try to help deter it, but this film almost glorifies it. Which to me is disgusting and unnecessary.

You might have a different view if you were close to someone who had experienced rape or if you had been raped.

Personally I think that unflinching representations of rape in art engender much more discussion than the majority of anti-rape campaigns, which in my experience often just become discussions by conservative elements about how 'Feminism has gone too far' and 'men are singled out to blame for rape', etc, etc. I've found myself that the likes of A Clockwork Orange and Irreversible make people think twice about saying a woman was 'asking for it' for dressing 'provocatively'.
The same goes for any violent crime, I see violence in the media and I see violence on screen, but it is on screen violence that effects people, because the media is saturated and lacks the same analysis that art gives to the subject. As for the argument of 'if you'd know people that had been raped', I find such an argument offensive and tawdry; one does not have to experience or be close to something to condemn it, and while I might understand why an artistic representation might hit home to yourself a lot more, I hardly think it's a good reason to ban it for everyone. Personally artistic representations of the beating, rape and tar and feathering of women by IRA volunteers in Belfast beings me to tears, but I think it's much more important to give people a real idea of the Provos and question how far people should go for political ends.  

loIitoads

Lilith79Nimir

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:14 am
i love this movie I think i was 13 when i first saw it and that was a while ago..every time i watch it i find something new.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:48 am
I haven't read it yet, but I'm thinking of borrowing it from my friend.
And I finally own the movie! biggrin
But anyways, I really like it. Really, really, really like it.
It has plot and a controversial lesson in it. at least, I think it does. Me and a bunch of my friends from school had a sleep over and we made one friend, who is uber nice and religious and probably did die a bit inside when we made her watch this film, made her watch it. smile
I <3 Alex.  

Artist89

Fashionable Dabbler

4,450 Points
  • Beta Consumer 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0

loIitoads

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:32 am
Artist89
I haven't read it yet, but I'm thinking of borrowing it from my friend.
And I finally own the movie! biggrin
But anyways, I really like it. Really, really, really like it.
It has plot and a controversial lesson in it. at least, I think it does. Me and a bunch of my friends from school had a sleep over and we made one friend, who is uber nice and religious and probably did die a bit inside when we made her watch this film, made her watch it. smile
I <3 Alex.

I'm not sure if I'd say there was a lesson within the film, it lacked the redemption that the book had at the end, and instead suggested that the problem was unsolvable.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:28 pm
Stan "The Man" Kubrick is one of my favorite directors. I love Dr. Strangelove... and Full Metal Jacket.

I also enjoyed a Clockwork. The movie was good, but as per usual, I think I prefer the book.

Fantastically Vague

Brinioo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:33 am
It was boring.If you guys like this please tell me if Eyes Wide Shut is a good movie.  
Classic - Old - Independent Movies

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff