Welcome to Gaia! ::

T3h Movie World - Watch Movies / RP / Chat / Games / Preview

Back to Guilds

Nice selection of Movies, good topics and an active friendly community. 

Tags: Movies, Entertainment, Anime, Disney, Action 

Reply Classic - Old - Independent Movies
Stephen King's The Shining '80 and '97 Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

gOtHiC_MuSiC_DeVviL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:57 pm
lol i wouldnt mind watchin it again actually it has ben a while.

what do you think was better??  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:48 pm
Loved the first version the best with Jack Nicholson. Saw it in the movie theater and was on the edge of my seat the whole time! Awesome movie, one of Stephen King's best works! Also liked Pet Semetary and Rose Red, and It.  

greenamethyst

gOtHiC_MuSiC_DeVviL

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:44 pm
yeah stephen King is one of the best Authors, I think its quite cool how he makes an appearance in a few of his movies..... I think he is normally a pizza delivery dude in most of them (Rose red)..... And a cop in sleepwalkers????  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:59 am
both movies were good, but no one can beat Jack's crazy look... the 97 version gave a bit more of the book to it, either way I'd rather watch the orginal  

Ishachanmeow

Headstrong Bookworm

19,050 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Party Animal 100
  • Waffles! 25

Niran_Betta_Fish

Swashbuckling Man-Lover

37,190 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Waffles! 25
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:19 pm
I'm rewatching the original mow. It holds up beautifully.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:08 pm
i love The Shining,, in fact my mom named me ater the little boy in the original. well this real name anyway.. but i spell mine diff..//// i just love the movie its amazing  

Zechariah_14-1

madbugz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:10 pm
omg loved the jack nickalson one so much better only because the newer one's kid would not close his mouth through the entire movie and it totally ruined it but i like the book the best stephan king is the bomb im reading carrie right now and im lovin it so yea but my fav. of all time is "IT"
boo yah master of horror but loved the shining and i always watch it when its on cable

REDRUM
twisted  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:35 pm
MY ULTIMATE FAVORITE MOVIE!!!!!11111111
GO JACK NICHOLSON!!!

ShopRite

Wheezing Fatcat

Embers N Ashes

Nine-tailed Spirit

19,900 Points
  • Spirit of the Smackdown! 100
  • Falling For You 25
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:58 pm
I like the original better. It was a classic and perfect movie to watch with friends. It was so fun.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:45 am
Anything by Stephen King that makes it to film is uber awsome sauce.  

Artist89

Fashionable Dabbler

4,450 Points
  • Beta Consumer 0
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0

Psycho has Left

Aged Lunatic

7,150 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 2:10 pm
I've seen both quite a few times. I love the classic, but they didn't do too bad on the newer version. I loved the ending to the classic compared to the ending of the newer one, and nothing can beat Jack Nickolson and his famous line, "Here's Johnny!!". LOL!!!
blaugh wink xp  
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:22 pm
Book: Best
Kubrick movie: Great
Mini-Series: Kill me.

Kubrick basically rewrote the entire book as a movie, while still keeping a couple things. After reading the book, considering Kubrick's style, I think he really could have made the movie scarier. Jack Nicholson was awesome as Jack, but hey, he's Jack Nicholson, so of course he's awesome and sets a high bar for any remake (Lol Joker Lol). Not to mention; NOTHING is more amazing than Shelley Duvall's expression of fear:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Honest to goodness fear, in my opinion.

Mini-Series: I liked it but I didn't, I loved the fact it was scarier and included more of the book substance instead of erasing what it meant. It covered more of what Danny Torrance's abilities could do, instead of Kubrick's version. Things I didn't like, Rebecca DeMorney's acting, the new, god awful, Danny Torrance, and the fact that while showing the lounge alive and full of action (and ghosts) they showed all three Andrews Sisters being dead, when really, one of them is still alive. I loved how they showed the fact that Wendy Torrance really got herself severely hurt in the book, instead of "HERE'S JOHNNY CHOP CHOP MY TINY KNIFE STOPS THE AXE AND I'M SAVED"

But for someone who prefers real acting, as opposed to the campy acting that was unnecessary throughout this story... I definitely prefer the movie.  

Chloe Van Peebles

5,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Contributor 150

Rei_Toei

Green Smoker

16,800 Points
  • Grunnyland Dabbler 50
  • Party Member 100
  • Beta Gaian 0
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:23 am
I loved the book; I am a huge Stephen King fan. (Can't wait to seen Gunslinger on the screen). It is awfully difficult to make a movie as good as King writes. They nearly always fall short. I think Kubrick did a great job of generating the fear and the hellish visions of the Overlook. The newer ver was closer to the original story, but hard to beat Kubrick's flair for creeping you out.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:51 am
Jack Nicholson pwn's all.  

MediaclCunt

Oshi the Killer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:18 am
I like the mini series better because it followed the book more that the movie did. I didn't really care for the movie.  
Classic - Old - Independent Movies

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff