Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Pagan Pride Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Am I Overreacting?
  yes
  no
  maybe
View Results

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:52 pm
Esselean
Just because someone dresses up doesnt mean they arent serious about their religion or spirituality and just because someone dresses normally doesnt mean they ARE

But it does lead one to question, if they are serious and intelligent about their faith, why don the fantasy-themed outfit for an event that they know well and full does not involve a great deal of fantasy themes?

Quote:
Whatever happened to 'dont judge a book by its cover'???

What ever happened to using reason and good judgment when getting dressed for something?

I think you keep misunderstanding (me, at least). I'm not saying that people can not dress how they like. I am saying that you can dress how you want, but don't be surprised if/when people don't take you seriously. And don't turn around and b***h about not being taken seriously because of it.

Quote:
If you are going to judge people on what they wear you are just going to make it harder to find the like minded people you are looking for.
Well thats in my experience anyway razz

No, someone who considers a PPD to be a sort of anime con or costume party is NOT what I would consider a "like-minded" person.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:53 pm
Esselean
Sanguina-chan
Yeah... and I guess mostly it's just really disappointing. You go to a PPD or a meetup hoping to connect with someone who follows a religion similar to yours, and it's incredibly disheartening and depressing to meet people who don't care a jot for their deities and have never had a serious thought in their pretty little heads their whole lives - which is even more depressing when you consider that many of these people are over 40.

Just because someone dresses up doesnt mean they arent serious about their religion or spirituality and just because someone dresses normally doesnt mean they ARE
Whatever happened to 'dont judge a book by its cover'???
If you are going to judge people on what they wear you are just going to make it harder to find the like minded people you are looking for.
Well thats in my experience anyway razz

I work in a bookshop. I know for a fact that everyone judges books by their covers.

Also, note that I said "meet people", not "see people at a distance and make snap judgments about them". In fact, that entire paragraph you quoted had nothing to do with clothing or appearance whatsoever. It was all about stupid people and how they suck.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:20 am
Esselean
Of course I forgot Pagans aren't allowed to have fun.

Doesn't answer my question.
If a Pagan is informed and intelligent about their path, why would they wear fantasy-themed garb to an event where they know there aren't a great deal of fantasy-themed things?
Would you wear t-shirts with the logos of big oil companies to an anti-drilling protest?

Quote:

I'm not bitching (If that comment was refering to me) I'm just trying to be open minded and realistic about peoples motive for what they do instead of judging and insulting anyone who is different.

No, it was not directed at you because you're not bitching about that particular issue that I am addressing.

Are you one of those folks who are so opened minded that your brains have fallen out, and you're either unable or unwilling to go find them again? I mean, *realistically* what reason would a person have to wear faerie wings, if not for the purpose to dress up in a costume? Tell me, how many teens do you see wearing costumes when they attend World Youth Day at the Vatican?

Quote:
Have you asked them or do you just presume they are clueless? I don't know about a costume party but PPD does seem to be a celebration which is practiacally a party and who doesnt dress up for a party?

To parallel, if I go to a goth hangout and see a kid in a Marilyn Manson shirt screaming "SATAN IS MY FATHER" I wouldn't have to even speak one word to him to know that 1. He is not goth, and 2. that he hasn't the foggiest idea of what goth is.

If you want to wear faerie wings when having a circle with your friends, great, go for it. Want to wear faerie wings while going out into public where you know they will give a certain impression (one that you probably don't want to garner for yourself)? Sort of a dumb idea.

It would depend on the party. I wouldn't wear a ballgown to my friend's kid's 4th birthday party. Neither would I wear a tube top and a miniskirt to a gala ball. There is a time and a place for certain kinds of dress. You seem to not understand this.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:21 am
I think you guys are starting to diverge into another conversation here. The original post was a vent. It was one person saying that they couldn't stand that some people seemed to take paganism so lightly, when she feels so strongly about it.

I see nothing wrong with that.

Yet you guys have turned this into an argument about the appropriateness of Fairy wings at a PPD event.

Can't you see that is not what the original post was about? It was about being frustrated that no one will take you seriously as a pagan, because there are so many fluffy bunnies out there making it a joke.

It's not about wands and wings and glitter, its about what those things represent to many pagans: foolishness, lack of understanding, and disrespect.

Jernni

Sparkly Millionaire

4,950 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:32 pm
Jernni
I think you guys are starting to diverge into another conversation here. The original post was a vent. It was one person saying that they couldn't stand that some people seemed to take paganism so lightly, when she feels so strongly about it.

I see nothing wrong with that.

Same. I agree with Sweet's rant and position on the issue.

Quote:
Yet you guys have turned this into an argument about the appropriateness of Fairy wings at a PPD event.

Actually, I'd include the bits about Harry Potter too, but that would just make for long, awkward sentences. People dressing up in Harry Potter style for a PPD offend me worse than faerie wings.

Quote:
Can't you see that is not what the original post was about? It was about being frustrated that no one will take you seriously as a pagan, because there are so many fluffy bunnies out there making it a joke.

I've not really seen how the discussion has grown and diverged too far from this though.

Quote:
It's not about wands and wings and glitter, its about what those things represent to many pagans: foolishness, lack of understanding, and disrespect.

Which is what I was under the impression we were still talking about. Which is why I'm unsure why those who dress to represent the foolishness, the lack of understanding and the disrespect should looked upon in the same esteem as someone who understands, respects, and is not foolish about their path.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:40 pm
Yeah, it's not actually about the fairy wings wink I was under the impression we were still fairly on-topic, but then I may have been arguing under that impression while others were talking about something else entirely.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Jernni

Sparkly Millionaire

4,950 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:24 am
I really dislike when my posts are taken apart, and taken out of context like that. I wasn't being argumentative at all, I was trying to bring both points of view together.

I was merely stating that yes, they are just fairy wings for goodness sake, but that to some people, it represents other things.

I was just trying to see from both sides.

But if my posts are going to be taken out of context and split up to be read in a manner they were not meant to, then I will be quiet.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:19 pm
Esselean: I'll repeat this one last time for you and after that, I really don't care if you're still butt-hurt or if you think we're arguing.

I agree, one can wear whatever they want, no matter how ridiculous it may look. BUT, that person should not be surprised when they are not taken seriously or poked at. This person also has no right later to complain about being made fun of or not taken seriously for it.

Short of drawing you a picture, I'm not sure how else to get you to understand. You seem to be afflicted with selective reading/hearing and are only responding to the parts that make it seem like I'm attacking you.

Jernni: For one, I know you were not being argumentative. Neither was I. I'm abrasive, but not always argumentative.

Breaking down your quotes was not done to be an argumentative gesture. I break down quotes quite often as it helps me to better address and focus on each point. It is also used so that there is no question as to what one of my comments is referring to; I could type comment A, and when someone else reads back, they might be unsure if my comment A is in reference to your comment B or C, or even D. It is also a handy way for some with reading disabilities to follow the conversation.

If you feel something was taken out of context then feel free to re-state it and point out how it was misconstrued.  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:11 pm
The pagan community offers Pagan Pride Days as ways for the pagan community to network with each other, but also as a way for the general public to have a chance to see what all the "fuss" is about. While these events should be fun and obviously as pagans we tend to have a bit of a "free-spirited" attitude anyways, the point was that if we want the general public to take paganism (and the religions that fall under the "pagan" umbrella) seriously - and these PPDs are a main way that the public will "knowingly" come into contact with us (gods...sounds like we are diseased blaugh ), then should we dress in a manner that reflects the seriousness that we want to project? Not saying that people can't dress however they feel comfortable, just that they should think carefully before dressing, on what kind of image they wish to project in a situation where we (as a community) are trying desperately to project the image that paganism is a valid spiritual/religious path - and not a group of pot smoking hippie/goth, ren faire kids, who are just trying to piss off their parents. (talking general public perception here)

Now if it were clearly stated that it was a costumed event, that is different. Note that I also have issue with wearing "ritual" wear to these events, since ritual wear is usually reserved for wearing at rituals only. The specific reasoning behind this is to not "contaminate" your ritual wear with "mundane" energies.

The issue is not that people can't wear what they want (believe me there are all sorts of crazy things I'd wear if I could), it's simply asking them to properly judge the appropriateness of the outfit before they put it on.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:44 pm
Hissy-fits are unbecoming.

Most of your posts are already preserved as quotes in the posts of others, so you're not really getting rid of anything.  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games