Reply Twilight - The Book, by Stephenie Meyer
Young People Reading the Twilight Series Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

[OMG] Nucleus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:21 pm
I don't really think it's appropriate for 4th graders to be reading Breaking Dawn. Twilight thru Eclipse is fine, but in Breaking Dawn, there's a lot of innuendos and I didn't know about that when I was their age.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:32 pm
I think it should not be banned from young people to read the first 3 books but I don't see why they would want to read it...it's not like they're really going to understand love and all the "gushy" stuff yet, especially if they're 4th graders. As for Breaking Dawn...I definitely think it's not for 4th graders, it's for more mature individuals.  

covo

complex_ity_
Vice Captain

Hygienic Fatcat

7,800 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bidding War 100
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:44 pm
cutepupster38
So during school the other day, I saw a 4th grader with a group of kids around her all comparing their books in the Twilight Series. In my opinion, they are a little young to be reading the Twilight Series, especially Breaking Dawn. Anyone else's thoughts?

Really? surprised Wow, this is a bit of a dilemma.

On one hand, I'm all for young kids reading. I don't think kids nowadays read even half the number of books I did, and it wasn't so long ago that I was little. My cousin is only five years younger than me, in Grade 7, and he's still reading Amelia Bedelia, which is a great concern. On that note: great. Read Twilight.

On the other hand, I don't think Twilight is appropriate for kids...below the age of 12 or 13, let's say. Twilight is relatively tame, but at the end of the book it's mentioned that James is torn apart and put on fire. New Moon is relatively fine - unless you look at it from the emotional angle - but at the end we read how the Volturi massacre that group of tourists. And in Eclipse there's the fight with the newborns. I wouldn't let anyone under the age of 16 read Breaking Dawn.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:48 pm
complex_ity_
cutepupster38
So during school the other day, I saw a 4th grader with a group of kids around her all comparing their books in the Twilight Series. In my opinion, they are a little young to be reading the Twilight Series, especially Breaking Dawn. Anyone else's thoughts?

On one hand, I'm all for young kids reading. I don't think kids nowadays read even half the number of books I did, and it wasn't so long ago that I was little. My cousin is only five years younger than me, in Grade 7, and he's still reading Amelia Bedelia, which is a great concern. On that note: great. Read Twilight.

On the other hand, I don't think Twilight is appropriate for kids...below the age of 12 or 13, let's say. Twilight is relatively tame, but at the end of the book it's mentioned that James is torn apart and put on fire. New Moon is relatively fine - unless you look at it from the emotional angle - but at the end we read how the Volturi massacre that group of tourists. And in Eclipse there's the fight with the newborns. I wouldn't let anyone under the age of 16 read Breaking Dawn.

I don't think that the violence is as much of a problem as the "love stuff"(trying to avoid giving too much away) that happens especially in Breaking Dawn.  

cutepupster38

complex_ity_
Vice Captain

Hygienic Fatcat

7,800 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bidding War 100
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:50 pm
cutepupster38
complex_ity_
cutepupster38

I don't think that the violence is as much of a problem as the "love stuff"(trying to avoid giving too much away) that happens especially in Breaking Dawn.

Well I was thinking, hopefully, that fourth graders wouldn't know enough about that "love stuff" so they'd be clueless even if they read Breaking Dawn. But regardless, I wouldn't let them read Breaking Dawn.

The "love stuff" in the rest of the series is no problem for fourth graders. What's the worse they can say? "Ew, they kissed"?  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:07 pm
Or (highlight to read) "Eww...Bella tried to take her clothes off in front of Edward. Gross!!"  

cutepupster38

Mrs Joe Trohman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:35 pm
[OMG] Nucleus
I don't really think it's appropriate for 4th graders to be reading Breaking Dawn. Twilight thru Eclipse is fine, but in Breaking Dawn, there's a lot of innuendos and I didn't know about that when I was their age.

Okay. I'm confused. I know this is just your opinion, but I'm confused as to why you're assuming that every fourth grader couldn't understand and/or take sexual innuendos. And you're sort of contradicting yourself when you say that you didn't understand innuendos when you were that age. O.o

I'm just confused about your whole post. Could you try to explain it to me? =]

Twilight - The Book, by Stephenie Meyer

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces