Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Does anyone else hate swearing? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Henneth Annun

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:56 am
It doesn't bother me as long as it isn't every other word and/or done way too frequently. If the person is angry, I'll leave them alone about it, but they do need to know when to shut up.

Also, if you can't make a sentance without using the words "damn" or "********" in it, then you need to go back to kindergarten and learn your basic adjectives.

I the word "b***h" though. That one really gets to me, like Satan Kiss said above me. I do not take being called that from anyone, and no one else should take it either. I don't even let my friends joke about calling people that when I'm around.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:36 pm
I used to hate swearing, but I have a friend who hates it even more than I do, and if I ever swore, she would get pissed and hit me in the head. So eventually, I started wanting to spite her, so I swore more the more she hit me. Then it kind of stuck, and I can't stop swearing. Worst part? This happened when I was in 5th grade. And I still can't stop. -_-

So...since I don't really hate myself, I can't say I hate swearing. Hate's a pretty strong word. I don't like swearing, but I don't think 'hate' is the word we're looking for.

Oh, and I can't really say I agree about the whole 'b***h' debate. It just means 'female dog', and people who think it's an insult can go ahead and call me that. It just strengthens my resolve. Since when are dogs all that bad?

xXBisexual FlanXx

Dapper Genius

Critical Cookies

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:53 pm
I hate it only when people over use it.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:41 pm
I am personally against swearing for any number of reasons. But I try not to pressure people into something they just won't agree too. I ask my friends not to do it around me because it really is a moral issue for me, but I accept that other people don't feel the same. I think the idea behind coarse language though, comes from the older class system. They are "bad" words because it used to be only the poor would use them, denoting a lack of nobility. Times changed, and the reasons changed. Just my two cents.....  

Rutoh-Chan

Houra

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:24 pm
I don't believe that there are such things as 'bad' words. They're words. They have a meaning and synonyms that aren't offensive so why are they?
I do believe however that some things are rude to call people, such as "b***h", because it really is rude and degrading to call someone a female dog. (Especially if you're sexist....)
And I think some words should not be used in front of certain people or at certain places. It's just against social moral. Don't say "********" anywhere near your grandmother and don't curse out a waiter at a business dinner.
And I believe that when someone who normally curses and uses substitute words in certain places, like saying "frick" because you're at school instead of "********" should not get you in trouble because are trying to be polite and not say the "bad" word.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:57 am
I personally don't have a problem with occasional swearing. If someone is extremely angry, it's often hard to think of better words to express oneself. Using swear words frequently in regular conversation tends to lower my opinion of someone. If those are the words you use the most, it has a tendency to make you look a tad uneducated. I don't mind any of the usual "bad words", those beginning with "f", "s", or "b". The only word that really gets on my nerves and makes my want to yell at people is the one beginning in "n", and how completely all right it seems to be for black people to use it nowadays. Yes, I am about as white as you can get, but my grandfather is one of the most racist people you could ever meet, and it is because of him that I absolutely can't stand that word. I've shocked many a black person by politely asking them not to use that word around me, to receive a response of, "why? You ain't black, why do you care?" They were courteous enough to stop using it when I explained my feelings about that word, though. It's such a hateful, derogatory word that I can't contemplate why anyone would want to use it lightly, and it really bothers me when people do.  

Sachiko13

Ithaya

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:52 am
I like swearing used on occasion as emphasis, though I cannot stand it when it is used over and over again in everyday speech.

I used to hate all swearing but I actually came to like the sound of the word '********', providing it's not overused.
'Dammit' and 'crap' are my particular vices.

I also find it rather amusing when people make a sentence almost entirely composed of swear words.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:14 pm
It doesn't bother me. I mean, I don't go shooting off "********" every chance I get like a lot of kids do. But I do curse.
I guess you could say its all part of my charm. ;]

-Ever Clever-

Raimyah

Girl-Crazy Sex Symbol

9,975 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:54 am
Swearing, like all good things similar to chocolate and Shounen-Ai, is best indulged upon in moderation. Its a damned shame that so few at least swear in a manner more traditional to the language they speak, and continue to corrupt English in more frustrating ways.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:20 pm
I used to be horribly intolerant of swearing. I've become more okay with hearing other people swear (well, I sorta have to be if I'm going to watch hilarious G-bros interviews), but I still don't like to do it myself. I'm actually okay with saying the religiously-oriented ones (damn, hell, etc) because I'm an atheist but I stay far away from saying the sexually-oriented ones (you know what I mean...).

Edit: I read Sachiko's post and I totally agree that the N-word is never appropriate.

Elanchana

YHVHApostle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:35 pm
Swearing is a nuisance in repetition...

But it only makes it worse when someone is swearing in public where there are a bunch of people around.

It's just plain rude, man.

And I know it's not like I haven't heard them before, but please, restrict the volume to an A-B conversation level...

I have to admit, some racial slurs are actually funny. Like cracker.

Cracks me up.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:17 pm
I only mind swearing if...

...it is repetitive. Swearing constantly is annoying and a signal that someone needs to improve his or her vocabulary. Swearing for emphasis is fine by me, but unless it's humor, a sentence made mostly of swear words annoys me.

...it is used in situations requiring formality. If you tell a police officer to ******** off, chances are he's going to be pretty annoyed. If you say bullshit while you're trying to talk to the Dean of Students, it shows just how low-class you are.

...it is used in ways to degrade others based on prejudice, be it racial, sexual, or otherwise. The "N-word" is notable here.

I really only commonly use the lower-class swear words myself, but I'm not afraid to let out an f-bomb if the situation is dire enough. If something hurts worse than the pain of being stung by a thousand hornets, I'm going to say something strong enough to peel paint, but on a day-to-day basis, I stick to "damn."

[For some interesting material on the subject, I recommend the late George Carlin's Seven Words You Can't Say on Television [x], [x]. It's classic, and it's pretty funny and insightful.]  

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas