Submit

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:45 am
Fresnel
Orkronos
OberFeldwebel
Inquisitor Brock
The Japanese actually invaded Alaska.

In fallout 3, the commies invaded Alaska too.

Now, that invasion wasn't just those airballoon bombs right?
There was actual Japanese incursion right?

I heard a little bit about it but not a whole lot.
Kept under wraps?
Yup occupied a tone of islands and the germans managed to land some spies (Gentelmen) in the east coast.
SPIES BE SAPPIN' MAH DOCKYARDS!

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Spy beats Spy.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:50 am
It was some brutal fighting. Some vets said the weather was worse than in Russia cause of the wind whipping right off the Bering Strait. There were mass graves of soldiers cause they couldn't bury them. I remember hearing that there's a bunch of equipment still frozen up there cause it cost more to bring it backl than it was worth.  

Inquisitor Brock

InterElli

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:05 am
Powers and major nations in WWII

Japan: Axis: Pre-1938 - 1945

China: Allied: 1938 - 1945

Russia: Axis: 1939 - 1940 Allied: 1940 - 1945

Finland: Allied: 1939 - 1940 Axis: 1940 - 1943

Poland: Allied: 1939 - 1945

Germany: Axis: 1939 - 1945

Norway: Axis: 1940 Allied: 1940 - 1945

Italy: Axis: 1939 - 1943 Allied: 1943 - 1945

France: Allied 1939 - 1945 Axis: 1940 - 1943 (Vichy only)

Neatherlands and the Low Countries: Allied 1940 - 1945

England: Allied: 1939 -1945

United States: Allied: 1941 - 1945

Bulgaria: Axis: 1939 - 1944 Allied: 1944 - 1945

Hungary: Axis 1939 - 1945: Allied: 1945

Are there any of the major players that I am missing? Also, it is late, I might be off by a year on the dates the nations in East Europe switched sides.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:24 am
I heard of a battle in the Pacific where the US landed 30k troops on some diddly-s**t speck of dirt, took the whole island, and only lost 120-some troops during the entire invasion. The sad part? The Japanese had abandoned it months previous. Some died from friendly fire, some disappeared into the jungle, and many were lost when a destroyer hit an old mine. None were KIA by an enemy.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

InterElli

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:38 am
Fresnel
I heard of a battle in the Pacific where the US landed 30k troops on some diddly-s**t speck of dirt, took the whole island, and only lost 120-some troops during the entire invasion. The sad part? The Japanese had abandoned it months previous. Some died from friendly fire, some disappeared into the jungle, and many were lost when a destroyer hit an old mine. None were KIA by an enemy.

Do you mean during the retaking of the Aleutian island chain off of Alaska? Or another invasion. Because that sounds like the second island of the Aleutian campaign. The Japanese abandoned it and we assumed they hadn't.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:55 am
Random fact. In WW2, the Allies usually took higher casualties in ground battles than the Axis troops they were fighting. That's why America didn't want to invade Japan. The Japanese still had plenty of troops left, and casualties of the Pacific War so far had been higher for America than for Japan. There was no reason to think Japan would be different.  

Ubasti

InterElli

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:53 pm
Ubasti
Random fact. In WW2, the Allies usually took higher casualties in ground battles than the Axis troops they were fighting. That's why America didn't want to invade Japan. The Japanese still had plenty of troops left, and casualties of the Pacific War so far had been higher for America than for Japan. There was no reason to think Japan would be different.

That's true in Russia, and parts of Europe, but almost entirely untrue against Japan. The Japanese were a one trick pony on the ground, and the Allies figured it out pretty quick. In the later parts of the war, the US secured some of the most lopsided casualty figure of the war (in some cases 50-to-1 or more). The reason the United States did not want to invade Japan was how many Japanese they were facing. It was estimated a million GIs would die, and more than 30 times that were projected to die on the Japanese side.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:57 pm
Inquisitor Brock
It was some brutal fighting. Some vets said the weather was worse than in Russia cause of the wind whipping right off the Bering Strait. There were mass graves of soldiers cause they couldn't bury them. I remember hearing that there's a bunch of equipment still frozen up there cause it cost more to bring it backl than it was worth.
If I didn't absolutely HATE that variety of cold and thought I could bring it back intact, I'd go up there and dig up some of that equipment. I don't think snow preserves guns very well, but they DID find that one P-38 Lightning in Greenland that looks pretty well preserved.  

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

Buki_Actual

9,050 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:47 pm
OberFeldwebel
http://www.bookmice.net/darkchilde/japan/balloon.html

Like this?

Yeah, I saw a book on German uniforms that had TAILOR schematics.
Damn thing went for 5 digits I think.

I lol'd at the first line in "General Information"  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:54 pm
Inquisitor Brock
The Japanese actually invaded Alaska.

General Simon Bolivar Buckner Jr. was in charge of the Tenth United States Army defending Alaska.  

Buki_Actual

9,050 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250

Ubasti

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:34 am
InterElli
Ubasti

That's true in Russia, and parts of Europe, but almost entirely untrue against Japan. The Japanese were a one trick pony on the ground, and the Allies figured it out pretty quick. In the later parts of the war, the US secured some of the most lopsided casualty figure of the war (in some cases 50-to-1 or more). The reason the United States did not want to invade Japan was how many Japanese they were facing. It was estimated a million GIs would die, and more than 30 times that were projected to die on the Japanese side.
If that's true, then why did Iwo Jima and Okinawa both see higher American than Japanese casualties?  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:42 pm
Are we talking about the same Battle of Okinawa here Ubasti? The one in WWII?

Because Japan suffered over 100,000 DEATHS, not Casualties , as well as 7,400 POW's.

America suffered roughly 72,000 Casualties all in all, with only some 12,000 of that being killed.

Neither in casualities, or deaths, did America see higher numbers. It was 1 American dead for every 10 Japanese.

We lost more Naval ships, but then again the Japanese lost their Battleship Yamato.

Thdark

Ubasti

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:33 pm
Thdark
Are we talking about the same Battle of Okinawa here Ubasti? The one in WWII?

Because Japan suffered over 100,000 DEATHS, not Casualties , as well as 7,400 POW's.

America suffered roughly 72,000 Casualties all in all, with only some 12,000 of that being killed.

Neither in casualities, or deaths, did America see higher numbers. It was 1 American dead for every 10 Japanese.

We lost more Naval ships, but then again the Japanese lost their Battleship Yamato.
Oki? ********. I always thought the casualties were in the high 20,000s for both sides.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:25 pm
Ubasti
Well yeah, that makes sense. Defensive wars are easier to fight. What is it, three-to-one is the general rule? One defender equals three attackers? After Torch, the entire war was defensive for the Axis.

@Elli: Could have been. I don't remember the name of the island.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Buki_Actual

9,050 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:15 pm
OberFeldwebel
Thdark
OberFeldwebel

I haven't seen any that were dedicated to WWII weaponry though.
I recently bought a book titled "Weapons of the Waffen SS", which, as it suggests, covers the weapons of the Waffen SS.
And by weapons, I mean Small-arms, support weapons, tanks, tank destroyers, some support vehicles, and a little bit on uniforms.

Nice book, but being the gun enthusiast I am, I was displeased when I found they labeled the P.08 Luger as the Walther P.38 and vice versa.

Argh!

Hmm, they should make a series dedicated to the actual weapons, then tanks (there is one I'm sure I packed an order for it on Wednesday), then the uniforms. There is one on the SS uniforms, I saw it when I was picking.

http://www.motorbooks.com/Store/ProductDetails_9283.ncm

There it is!

If it's anything like the one I got for any German Uniform WWI- today, it has good pictures, details, correct rankings, and pictures of the actual Era.
But since it's dedicated to such a specific date I'm sure it's way better.

I don't think they ever actually landed on American soil, but I think Japan had some kind of air balloon bomb delivery, can't remember where it hit though or if it ever did.

Can't remember where I heard this, but the Japanese launched one small airplane from one submarine and dropped one bomb on some town in either Oregon or Washington, can't remember.  
Q&A (Are YOU using this?)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff