uryu ishida

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:01 pm
OberFeldwebel
uryu ishida
Dreams of Leviathan
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
First of all, my grandfather owned a hardware store, and he kept a .32 rimfire behind the counter. Still have it, I could hide the damn thing in my hand, but the ammo is so shitty and rare I don't dare shoot it.

Second, the shotgun not only has the intimidation factor of a barrel you could stick your thumb down, but you don't really have to aim it. Anyone robbing you is going to be RIGHT in front of you, so if you wanted, you could even take the shot through the counter to kneecap the guy before he even has a chance to see the thing. At those ranges, an open choke would be ideal, allowing for maximum spread.

Wouldn't a rifled barrel equal instant spread?

Or... almost instant.
Or would that kB?

The Judge anyone?
Alternate, .410 .45, rinse repeat.
I honestly don't know what would happen if you put a shot shell through a rifled slug barrel.
The pellets spread into an 'O' shape, which isn't terrible, but doesn't give the even coverage you want, and cuts range, increases spread, and doesn't hit the middle

Why do they use a shotgun or a magnum?

It's ******** scary to look down the business end of one.
I don't think rifling would mess with it much since shotgun shells have SHOT CUPS that hold the shot till it's out of the barrel. This keeps leading down and reduces wear on the barrel.

As a note. a .410 snake load is still a SNAKE LOAD. It is NOT MEANT FOR HUMANS, and SHOULD NOT BE USED FOR SO. I'll send you some cookies in prison if you do. BUCKSHOT is an ideal load or SLUGS. NOT bird or snake shot.

And damnit people, there ARE NO FIREARMS CALLED MAGNUMS. It's a type of caliber that's supposedly loaded hot or more powerfully.

So... birdshot and snake shot against a human = jail time?
If done on purpose. They are designed for small animals, named aptly so. It's a large cloud of small-sized pellets, with much less in the way of inertial force and penetration. It creates a shallow permanent wound crater, with little in the way of capability of reaching anything vital or an insured stop. It's a MAIMING wound, which is a REALLY BIG legal no-no, like rock salt. Buckshot has more inertial energy and more penetrative capability, which is a harder impact with a more insured stop. In lawyer terms, killing the assailant is much better than wounding him. It's PROOF that you were really in fear for your life (or other similar requirement), a maiming wound would make it seem like you were not really in fear.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:05 pm
Legal things aside, the Judge is silly for anything bigger than a large rodent, anyway. If you're shooting at Joe Crackhead or Rick Robber you don't want to be throwing grains of salt at him, even if they're going fast.

And a revolver chambered in .357 Magnum is a Magnum just as a shotgun using 12-gauge shells is a 12-gauge. It might not be technically proper, but it's not wrong.  

ArmasTermin

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:50 pm
uryu ishida
Fresnel
uryu ishida
Dreams of Leviathan
Fresnel
I honestly don't know what would happen if you put a shot shell through a rifled slug barrel.
The pellets spread into an 'O' shape, which isn't terrible, but doesn't give the even coverage you want, and cuts range, increases spread, and doesn't hit the middle

Why do they use a shotgun or a magnum?

It's ******** scary to look down the business end of one.
I don't think rifling would mess with it much since shotgun shells have SHOT CUPS that hold the shot till it's out of the barrel. This keeps leading down and reduces wear on the barrel.

As a note. a .410 snake load is still a SNAKE LOAD. It is NOT MEANT FOR HUMANS, and SHOULD NOT BE USED FOR SO. I'll send you some cookies in prison if you do. BUCKSHOT is an ideal load or SLUGS. NOT bird or snake shot.
Who mentioned snake shot? The Judge takes a full 2.75" .410 shot shell.

Quote:
And damnit people, there ARE NO FIREARMS CALLED MAGNUMS. It's a type of caliber that's supposedly loaded hot or more powerfully.
It could be argued that a firearm capable of firing a 'magnum' load, such as a .44, .357, .22WMR, or shotgun with a 3" chamber, could be considered a 'magnum' firearm.
WHen people mention the Judge in .410, they are commonly talking about snake loads, which is a BIG legal no-no if done on purpose. Buckshot in .410 is not carried in many places, simply because of the properties of the round, being fairly diminutive compared to other shotguns and lacking capacity inside the shells.
I know offhand CTD carries .410 00 buck, and I bet 000 wouldn't be too hard to find.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:37 am
For the same reason why you use shotguns to hunt birds.

Burglers move fats ^___^  

Anima_Raptor

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:57 am
Anima_Raptor
For the same reason why you use shotguns to hunt birds.

Burglers move fats ^___^
User Image

Sorry, I had to. xd  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:59 pm
OberFeldwebel

Or... almost instant.
Or would that kB?

The Judge anyone?

I tried some of those CCI .22 Shot shells in my Ruger and at about 25 feet they spread so that I could only identify 3-4 holes within 1' of where I aimed. So, I would say so.  

Freak_090
Captain

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:15 pm
Freak_090
OberFeldwebel

Or... almost instant.
Or would that kB?

The Judge anyone?

I tried some of those CCI .22 Shot shells in my Ruger and at about 25 feet they spread so that I could only identify 3-4 holes within 1' of where I aimed. So, I would say so.

But the CCI .22 shot shells are hardly in a Sabot. A plastic canister?
It probably works the same though, but it would be nice to do a test on a shotgun setup.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:25 pm
I would really say shotguns are a common choice because of massive stopping power and pure scare factor. I mean if you hear that signature double click and know its hostile your gonna come pretty close to shitting yourself.  

war_junky 91

Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces