Mosin Advice Please? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Shrantic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:08 pm
ArmasTermin
Hm. Better rifle = better rifle, but I don't know. I just want the Mosin more. There's no justification, it's just preference. That and I just know nothing about this K31. I mean on any firearm forum in existence there's a thread about people and their Mosins, the stupidly cheap wonder-rifle that everybody owns at least one of. But I'll do some research and look into the thing.

EDIT: Also cheap ammo is a good thing, and apparently the Swiss is more expensive in that regard. Do you think picking the "best of five" option for the Mosin would keep me from getting a lemon?

And of the three Mosins offered by AIM, is the most expensive one at 99.95 necessarily the best one? Because I've heard of hexagonal receivers being better somehow, and if I were to get one I'd want to get the best kind.

Also, I've been thinking about starting to put together a MOLLE system and would want pouches to accommodate 7.62x54R-loaded clips. Can any of you think of any well-suited for that off-hand?
If you're going to buy a Mosin, go to a gun store and look at 'em in person. I got mine at a local Dunham's for 70 dollars, and I had 9 to pick from.

Here's a little info about the K31 and how it shoots. I know that at the end he says he got his for $109, but you're simply not going to find any good examples of the gun for that price anymore; similar to how you're not going to find any good M44's for 70 anymore.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:46 pm
Rocky Sassoon
ArmasTermin
Hm. Better rifle = better rifle, but I don't know. I just want the Mosin more. There's no justification, it's just preference. That and I just know nothing about this K31. I mean on any firearm forum in existence there's a thread about people and their Mosins, the stupidly cheap wonder-rifle that everybody owns at least one of. But I'll do some research and look into the thing.

EDIT: Also cheap ammo is a good thing, and apparently the Swiss is more expensive in that regard. Do you think picking the "best of five" option for the Mosin would keep me from getting a lemon?

And of the three Mosins offered by AIM, is the most expensive one at 99.95 necessarily the best one? Because I've heard of hexagonal receivers being better somehow, and if I were to get one I'd want to get the best kind.

Also, I've been thinking about starting to put together a MOLLE system and would want pouches to accommodate 7.62x54R-loaded clips. Can any of you think of any well-suited for that off-hand?
If you're going to buy a Mosin, go to a gun store and look at 'em in person. I got mine at a local Dunham's for 70 dollars, and I had 9 to pick from.

Here's a little info about the K31 and how it shoots. I know that at the end he says he got his for $109, but you're simply not going to find any good examples of the gun for that price anymore; similar to how you're not going to find any good M44's for 70 anymore.

There are very few gun stores in my area. I've only ever seen Mosins at gun shows, and the next one is in September. So that's not really an option right now.  

ArmasTermin

090Freak090

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:13 pm
Holy sheep s**t batman, check this out. M44s for under $100. Up side of M44s is that they were made '44 and later so you hardly have to worry about War dates. I just checked my brothers M44 and it is stamped by Cent Arms as well and I actually preffer it to my '44 91/30  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:00 pm
090Freak090
Holy sheep s**t batman, check this out. M44s for under $100. Up side of M44s is that they were made '44 and later so you hardly have to worry about War dates. I just checked my brothers M44 and it is stamped by Cent Arms as well and I actually preffer it to my '44 91/30

Hm, good stuff. Saved. But wouldn't I get more recoil, flash, and noise from the shorter barrel, as well as less accuracy?  

ArmasTermin

090Freak090

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:31 pm
ArmasTermin
090Freak090

Hm, good stuff. Saved. But wouldn't I get more recoil, flash, and noise from the shorter barrel, as well as less accuracy?

Between the two I have the M44 is all over better quality (accuracy included). The wood is heavier and runs smoother, and I believe it is more accurate as well. However, I am comparing a war time production and post war production rifles so it could be seen as apple o oranges in that regard. Either way it is plenty accurate and is also far more weildy than the huge pole arm that the 91/30 is. Also, you can actually use the bayonet on the M44.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:09 pm
Okay, might be able to have my Mosin ordered tomorrow, God willing. But I read this on AIM surplus in the ammo description.

"Packaged 440rds to a sealed "spam" can, and 880rds to a wooden crate as pictured. Can opener with 2 can or greater orders only."

When it says, "can opener" does it mean can opener like I think of a can opener, or some archaic Red Army multi-tool that is the only thing I'd be able to use to get the tin open besides power tools?

Also, will be going with the M91/30 rather than M44 for no other reason than that I want the 91/30 more.  

ArmasTermin

Thdark

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:16 pm
This is the Can Opener that would come with it:
User Image

Whether that is what you thought of when you envisioned "Can Opener", I don't know.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:29 am
Thdark
User Image

Whether that is what you thought of when you envisioned "Can Opener", I don't know.

It's just that it seems like they wouldn't bother mentioning the can opener at all unless it was something unusual or worth noting, otherwise one would assume you could just open it without.  

ArmasTermin

ArmasTermin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:00 pm
Mosin ordered!

Unfortunately, not only did my local shop not have AIM Surplus's info available, the guy had never heard of the place and apparently they don't do online orders. (Shrug emote)

But they had it ordered from one of their standard dealers over the phone, however it will be a regular wooden stock rather than laminated. And that's pretty okay, because not only was it a little cheaper, I had considered stripping, sanding, and staining the stock in a nice dark red finish. But I may decide that would remove the "character" of the rifle and not do it, or be too lazy. Not sure. Had thought of buying an aftermarket polymer stock to put on while doing the woodworking and to have a spare, but all those stocks seem really short compared to the length of the rifle and seem like they'd look goofy. Apparently the cheek risers they all have also raise your line of site above the level of the standard irons and you really have to mash your face on their to look through them well, as the stock is designed of sporterized Mosins.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:17 pm
and the thread ends with no "i got it" pics

I love my M44, I got it from a gun show and payed 95 for it. there was also a polish m44 unissued for 300. I was just at a gun show last weekend and didn't find any M44 lower then 150, they are going up in price cause not many are making there way to the states...so if you want one get one.  

SpeedmanRC

Conservative Hunter

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:55 am
Almost every time I drop in at the local Impact Gun shop, they have a shipping box of M 91/30's on the floor by the front door. They tend to go fast at $96 each.

Someday I'll slip my new iPod Touch in my pocket and grab a photo. It's something to behold in person.

I've also seen a lot of the Swiss Schmidt Rubin K31 rifles and a few carbines in various states of decay. I love the brass muzzle caps when they're included. The clip slips over the front sight. Pity the ammo for that rifle is so scarce.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:02 am
Thdark
User Image

I get one of those every time I order 7.62x54 and 5.45 ammo.

it works awesome for opening those thick ammo cans  

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

SpeedmanRC

Conservative Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:05 am
Floyd
Almost every time I drop in at the local Impact Gun shop, they have a shipping box of M 91/30's on the floor by the front door. They tend to go fast at $96 each.

Someday I'll slip my new iPod Touch in my pocket and grab a photo. It's something to behold in person.

I've also seen a lot of the Swiss Schmidt Rubin K31 rifles and a few carbines in various states of decay. I love the brass muzzle caps when they're included. The clip slips over the front sight. Pity the ammo for that rifle is so scarce.
yeah, the longer 91/30's will be $90 for some time yet, yeah I've seen more K31's showing up...but then agian those are more likely to dry up or go up in price faster...cause I don't think that many where made and survived. unlike the mosin.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:06 am
Recon_Ninja_985
Thdark
User Image

I used my angle grinder to just take the top off 3 sides, then folded it open and wala. had it open in under 30 seconds.  

SpeedmanRC

Conservative Hunter

Recon_Ninja_985

Dapper Entrepreneur

7,850 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:25 pm
SpeedmanRC
Recon_Ninja_985
Thdark
User Image

I used my angle grinder to just take the top off 3 sides, then folded it open and wala. had it open in under 30 seconds.
I just take the entire lid off.

also, for the ones I have open, I unwrap all my ammo and put all my rounds back into the tin and take the tin with me to the range.

means I have a lot of loose rounds ready to reach into. saves a lot of time loading and minimizes trash cleaning time at range  
Buying and Advice

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff