Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Desert_Fox_Rommel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:42 pm
Floyd
Maelthra Reloaded
why a 20gauge?

I like my shoulder too much to want to mess it up with my Winchester Model 12. mrgreen

Now, for a photo.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

/edit
Correct link now in play.

1. That's a beautiful shotgun.

2. I hear you there on the not wanting to ******** up your shoulder. The first time I ever even touched a gun it was a 12 gauge. The pastor of the church I used to attend just handed me a shotgun and expected me to have it all figured out. I was just shooting a paper target, but like I said I never even touched a gun before so I was kinda nervous. The gun slipped forward a little to where the stock wasn't even touching my shoulder when I pulled the trigger. It hurt like a b***h for half a week.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:54 pm
Desert_Fox_Rommel
Floyd
Maelthra Reloaded
why a 20gauge?

I like my shoulder too much to want to mess it up with my Winchester Model 12. mrgreen

Now, for a photo.

/edit
Correct link now in play.

1. That's a beautiful shotgun.

2. I hear you there on the not wanting to ******** up your shoulder. The first time I ever even touched a gun it was a 12 gauge. The pastor of the church I used to attend just handed me a shotgun and expected me to have it all figured out. I was just shooting a paper target, but like I said I never even touched a gun before so I was kinda nervous. The gun slipped forward a little to where the stock wasn't even touching my shoulder when I pulled the trigger. It hurt like a b***h for half a week.
That happened to me the first time I ever shot an AR, because I was used to .22s. Took me a couple shots to learn to keep it against my shoulder. Those cleats HURT.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:09 pm
One thing about UPS ground shipping, they're slow but they will deliver!

The balance of this combo is fantastic. It's a light shotgun out of the box. But now that the extra barrel length is out of the picture, it's a point and acquire target dream. The open sight is painted white with a dot front post. Perfection.

Now to get some 20 gauge deer slug suited for a rifled barrel...  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:13 pm
Maelthra Reloaded
Mighty fine looking shotgun, but I don't understand people having problems with 12-gauge shotties. I have on certain occasions put more than my fair share of rounds downrange, ranging from target load (similar to bird shot) to magnum slugs out of an 870, and mostly what bothered me was my ringing ears instead of a sore shoulder, that being with a factory stock.

User Image
Why not try a recoil-absorbing stock, such as this? (mossberg 500 pictured, COPstock recoil absorbing stock.)

Doesn't look like a wire frame stock would absorb much recoil

Honestly, it doesn't even look comfortable.  

Anima_Raptor

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:40 am
I wonder if it has a gas system or some type of buffer inside that added piece behind the receiver.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:00 am
OberFeldwebel
I wonder if it has a gas system or some type of buffer inside that added piece behind the receiver.
I think the funny Z-shaped kink allows it to flex downward and back to absorb some of the recoil, and IIRC there's some sort of buffer in the pistol grip.

Knoxx does make an AR-style adjustable stock that they claim reduces recoil by 95%; enough to make 00 buck feel like .223.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Man of the Demoneye

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:28 pm
Fresnel
ArmasTermin
Congratulations are in order, Floyd! I don't love that long barrel, but that's a fine-looking shootin'-iron.
I will never understand why they make the barrel that long and the magazine that short.

Probably to have a more complete powder burn + more accurate. As for the magazine, waterfowl hunting only allows for 3 shells (except for snow geese now, yay!) and the 5 rounds with the plug out is more than enough for deer or whatever you are hunting. After 5 shots, whatever you were shooting at will either be dead or long gone.

Edit: the barrel length also helps your pattern out quite a bit.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:10 pm
If you try and add a mag extension, you'll have to file off two stubs inside the mag tube that holds the spring in.  

Inquisitor Brock

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:35 pm
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
I think the funny Z-shaped kink allows it to flex downward and back to absorb some of the recoil, and IIRC there's some sort of buffer in the pistol grip.

Knoxx does make an AR-style adjustable stock that they claim reduces recoil by 95%; enough to make 00 buck feel like .223.

neutral Orly?  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:42 pm
Inquisitor Brock
If you try and add a mag extension, you'll have to file off two stubs inside the mag tube that holds the spring in.

DON'T FILE OFF THE PIECE HOLDING THE SPRING /PLUG IN

If it is anything like the 870 wingmaster, unscrew the end cap, then take a screwdriver and work the inside cap out. Actually, I reccomend a pair of needle nose pliars because it is easier to hold, but use it just like the screwdriver (if that makes any sense at all.) It will get much easier after you do it a few times. Make sure you work it out evenly from all sides or it wedges in there pretty good and you have to push it back down and start all over. But it likely says how to in the manual, so I'll just leave you be.  

Man of the Demoneye

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:49 pm
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel

neutral Orly?

Quote:
This patented Knoxx recoil-reducing stock will revolutionize the way you think about shotguns. Utilizing dual Knoxx recoil compensating systems, the SpecOps Stock™ has the ability to reduce felt recoil of even the most potent loads by up to 95%. The SpecOps Stock™ makes even the heaviest loads easy for all shooters to handle!
'S what they claim.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:26 pm
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel

neutral Orly?

Quote:
This patented Knoxx recoil-reducing stock will revolutionize the way you think about shotguns. Utilizing dual Knoxx recoil compensating systems, the SpecOps Stock™ has the ability to reduce felt recoil of even the most potent loads by up to 95%. The SpecOps Stock™ makes even the heaviest loads easy for all shooters to handle!
'S what they claim.

Ah, well felt recoil.

Hey, what's the shortest barrel you could get without it being illegal?  

OberFeldwebel

Inquisitor Brock

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:43 pm
Man of the Demoneye
Inquisitor Brock

DON'T FILE OFF THE PIECE HOLDING THE SPRING /PLUG IN

If it is anything like the 870 wingmaster, unscrew the end cap, then take a screwdriver and work the inside cap out. Actually, I reccomend a pair of needle nose pliars because it is easier to hold, but use it just like the screwdriver (if that makes any sense at all.) It will get much easier after you do it a few times. Make sure you work it out evenly from all sides or it wedges in there pretty good and you have to push it back down and start all over. But it likely says how to in the manual, so I'll just leave you be.

You use a screw driver, push it in, rotate it 90 degrees, then let the spring push it out.

There's a slot in the plug that holds the plug in while you take the cap off, and a slot that lets it come out.

If you want to add a mag extension you have to remove the pegs.

Note; these are only for the newest models I think.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:18 pm
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel

neutral Orly?

Quote:
'S what they claim.

Ah, well felt recoil.

IIRC, a barrel 12" or shorter is illegal. I don't know at what limit you have to have a Class III for, but my brother had a 12.5" barrel on his and had the stamp.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:28 am
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel

neutral Orly?

Quote:
'S what they claim.

Ah, well felt recoil.

IIRC, a barrel 12" or shorter is illegal. I don't know at what limit you have to have a Class III for, but my brother had a 12.5" barrel on his and had the stamp.

Ah, asked my mother's friend and he said it was 18".
For a civie thing I believe.  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces