Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Gaia Gun Enthusiasts
We are still in Iraq because of pathetic Americans Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

How long would the war have taken?
  1-2 Years
  3-4 Years
  5+ Years
View Results

Buki_Actual

9,050 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:14 pm
Fresnel
Freak_090
Fresnel
Freak_090
EDIT: America needs to get back on track and leave international affairs alone like we were supposed to. People wouldn't be hating us if we didn't do anything to or for anyone else. (See Switzerland)
I'd like to point out that the last war Switzerland fought involved lots of blades and pointy sticks, few guns, the year started with '16', and it was against the Swiss. Switzerland beat Switzerland's a** in less than a year, and the peasants rejoiced.

On the flip side, the last decade the US has had with no direct involvement in a war was the 1920's. Before that, it was the 1870's, I think. Definitely late 1800's. Other than that, we've been involved in one military action or another since 1776.

Note: "...like we were supposed to." I forget where he said it, but George Washington had clearly stated that the US was supposed to be a nuetral country.

I'm not understanding your point about switzerland's civil war...
A civil war is like an invasion. When someone starts s**t, you kind of have to fight it. France HAD to fight WW2. It was fight or be conquered. We did not have to fight in Iraq. It was fight or maybe they'll attack their neighbors some day. So they fought the war they had to fight, they fought it quick and dirty and it was over so fast it hardly qualifies as a war.

Liberals don't realize that 9/11 was the 21st century's pearl harbor  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:43 pm
SBBuckner
Fresnel
Freak_090
Fresnel
Freak_090
EDIT: America needs to get back on track and leave international affairs alone like we were supposed to. People wouldn't be hating us if we didn't do anything to or for anyone else. (See Switzerland)
I'd like to point out that the last war Switzerland fought involved lots of blades and pointy sticks, few guns, the year started with '16', and it was against the Swiss. Switzerland beat Switzerland's a** in less than a year, and the peasants rejoiced.

On the flip side, the last decade the US has had with no direct involvement in a war was the 1920's. Before that, it was the 1870's, I think. Definitely late 1800's. Other than that, we've been involved in one military action or another since 1776.

Note: "...like we were supposed to." I forget where he said it, but George Washington had clearly stated that the US was supposed to be a nuetral country.

I'm not understanding your point about switzerland's civil war...
A civil war is like an invasion. When someone starts s**t, you kind of have to fight it. France HAD to fight WW2. It was fight or be conquered. We did not have to fight in Iraq. It was fight or maybe they'll attack their neighbors some day. So they fought the war they had to fight, they fought it quick and dirty and it was over so fast it hardly qualifies as a war.

Liberals don't realize that 9/11 was the 21st century's pearl harbor
A lot of people forget there's no link between 9/11 and Iraq.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Freak_090
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:22 pm
Fresnel
Freak_090

That only proves my point.

It's a lot easier to take over a country if you are ALREADY in it, no?
Oh no, I was agreeing with you. Switzerland hasn't been attacked because they've given nobody any reason to hate them. They've kept to themselves for five hundred years and built up a feared defense force. They don't start anything, and nobody wants to fight them, so they stay happy and neutral.

Whereas you have America, who gets terrorized rather frequently for being on ANOTHER CONTINENT, and we've been marching around the world now for about sixty years, stomping foreign faces into the mud and forcing our ideals on them. Hell, the last war we were completely justified in fighting was our own civil war.

Ohh, ok. I wasn't sure, but I'm glad we're on the same page.

WWII was a tricky situation. Granted, if we hadn't formed alliances with Britain, France, and the like, we wouldn't have been forced to stop selling iron and steel to Japan and thus we wouldn't have been attacked by them. But, that's not to say that the allied forces wouldn't have come to attack us as well had we continued selling it. Besides, who knows where we would be today if America HADN'T stepped in.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:26 pm
Freak_090
Fresnel
Freak_090

Oh no, I was agreeing with you. Switzerland hasn't been attacked because they've given nobody any reason to hate them. They've kept to themselves for five hundred years and built up a feared defense force. They don't start anything, and nobody wants to fight them, so they stay happy and neutral.

Whereas you have America, who gets terrorized rather frequently for being on ANOTHER CONTINENT, and we've been marching around the world now for about sixty years, stomping foreign faces into the mud and forcing our ideals on them. Hell, the last war we were completely justified in fighting was our own civil war.

WWII was a tricky situation. Granted, if we hadn't formed alliances with Britain, France, and the like, we wouldn't have been forced to stop selling iron and steel to Japan and thus we wouldn't have been attacked by them. But, that's not to say that the allied forces wouldn't have come to attack us as well had we continued selling it. Besides, who knows where we would be today if America HADN'T stepped in.
Regardless of what we did to Japan politically, they threw the first punch. We were in the right there. However, we in turn suckerpunched an unsuspecting Hitler. We had no provocation to join the European war.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Freak_090
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:46 pm
Fresnel
Freak_090
Fresnel
Freak_090

Regardless of what we did to Japan politically, they threw the first punch. We were in the right there. However, we in turn suckerpunched an unsuspecting Hitler. We had no provocation to join the European war.

German U-boats attacking commercial shipping boats isn't a good reason?  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:51 pm
Freak_090
Fresnel
Freak_090
Fresnel
Freak_090

If I recall (though it might have been WWI), we were all up in arms about Germans sinking our boats until they captured one, emptied its holds, and found s**t-tons of American weapons being shipped to Britain, and they and rubbed our faces in it.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:23 pm
So far, the only wars I think America had no business being in in the first place have been Vietnam and Iraq. Vietnam was French territory, therefore, it should have remained their problem. We only stepped in because we didn't want them going Red on us. And the first Bush didn't push into Iraq in the Gulf War for a reason- he predicted that what's happening right now would have happened.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:47 pm
Fresnel
Freak_090

If I recall (though it might have been WWI), we were all up in arms about Germans sinking our boats until they captured one, emptied its holds, and found s**t-tons of American weapons being shipped to Britain, and they and rubbed our faces in it.

You're probably thinking about the Lusitania, and yes that was WWI, but they didn't capture it. They had intel that it was being used to carry supplies to the eastern-front and blew it out of the water.  

Freak_090
Captain

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:02 am
Yeah, I heard about the commercial shipping boats carrying military cargo as well.
neutral

Now the Bismark, what did that sink again?  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:36 am
The Bismark was a convoy hunter in the North Atlantic. It was excellent at destroying supply convoys. It also sank the HMS Hood.  

Inquisitor Brock

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:27 am
Inquisitor Brock
The Bismark was a convoy hunter in the North Atlantic. It was excellent at destroying supply convoys. It also sank the HMS Hood.

Ah yeah.

Was it the hood that signed the Bismark's death warrant or what?
I can't remember.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:38 pm
OberFeldwebel
Inquisitor Brock

Ah yeah.

I can't remember.
No, it was a carrier-based torpedo bomber. It blew the s**t out of the Bismark's rudder and the Bismark couldn't turn. Or, more generically, it was the designers for not making an AA turret that could fire at a declination.

@Freak: I was thinking Lusitania too, but I know that got blown up. I swear they PROVED that we were supplying weapons to the Brits. They suspected it for a long time, we denied it, and one day they said "See? SEE? You've been lying all along and WE CAUGHT YOU."  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Freak_090
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:25 pm
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Inquisitor Brock

Ah yeah.

I can't remember.
No, it was a carrier-based torpedo bomber. It blew the s**t out of the Bismark's rudder and the Bismark couldn't turn. Or, more generically, it was the designers for not making an AA turret that could fire at a declination.

@Freak: I was thinking Lusitania too, but I know that got blown up. I swear they PROVED that we were supplying weapons to the Brits. They suspected it for a long time, we denied it, and one day they said "See? SEE? You've been lying all along and WE CAUGHT YOU."

Oh no, they were carrying weapons alright, but none-the-less it was still a passenger ship and they didn't know for sure.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:35 pm
Freak_090
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Inquisitor Brock

Ah yeah.

I can't remember.

Oh no, they were carrying weapons alright, but none-the-less it was still a passenger ship and they didn't know for sure.
I swear they did the same thing in WW2.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Anima_Raptor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:47 pm
Desert_Fox_Rommel
Middle East parking lot.

1. Iraq is producing WMDs. Their civilians are plotting recreations of 9/11.

2. Nukes

3. ???

4. Profit

I'll vote on that. We need to get rid of some nukes for the sake of world peace, no? XP  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff