Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:46 pm
Requiem6661
Fresnel
Sidal
Any concept weapons ya'll have found?
User Image

Rods from God, aka Project Thor. The idea is a carbon or tungsten telephone pole with fins, a small solid-fuel motor, and a basic guidance system, twelve rounds to a cartridge. One cartridge of 12 and one guidance system are launched up at the same time. The guidance system is radioed coordinates, and launches a rod from the cartridge. The rod thrusts a bit with its motor to destabilize its orbit, and it drops out of the sky. The kinetic impact less than five minutes later is pseudo-atomic. When all twelve rounds have been expended, just launch up a new cartridge.

Regan-era s**t. Don't know why they never did it. Maybe they did. ninja
I like the Thor idea. So it'd basically be like a small meteor impact. I'm wondering, though, if the rod could be reused or recycled after impact.
Umm... pseudo-atomic, as in, everything inside a 1 mile radius turns to vapor. It's all the explosive force of a nuke without the radiation. Think... MOAB.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:31 pm
Fresnel
Umm... pseudo-atomic, as in, everything inside a 1 mile radius turns to vapor. It's all the explosive force of a nuke without the radiation. Think... MOAB.

WANT!  

Maelthra Reloaded

Sidal

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:12 am
Think by "pseudo-atomic," as in really big boom, not a re-enactment of Hiroshima. lol  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:36 am
Maelthra Reloaded
Fresnel

WANT!

Seconded.
But what are the costs man, what are the costs?!  

OberFeldwebel

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:22 pm
OberFeldwebel
Maelthra Reloaded
Fresnel

WANT!

Seconded.
But what are the costs man, what are the costs?!
Cheaper than a space shuttle. Less electronics, less guidance, no life support, no crew... it's like a large communications satellite.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:23 pm
Sidal
Think by "pseudo-atomic," as in really big boom, not a re-enactment of Hiroshima. lol
User Image

No, I think it'd be about the same.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Orkronos

Gracious Sex Symbol

6,575 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:28 pm
Fresnel
Sidal
User Image

no fallout though.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:35 pm
Orkronos
Fresnel
Sidal
User Image

no fallout though.
That's the bonus.

Also, carbon is cheaper than uranium.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Buki_Actual

9,050 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:48 pm
Fresnel
Requiem6661
Fresnel
Sidal
User Image

Rods from God, aka Project Thor. The idea is a carbon or tungsten telephone pole with fins, a small solid-fuel motor, and a basic guidance system, twelve rounds to a cartridge. One cartridge of 12 and one guidance system are launched up at the same time. The guidance system is radioed coordinates, and launches a rod from the cartridge. The rod thrusts a bit with its motor to destabilize its orbit, and it drops out of the sky. The kinetic impact less than five minutes later is pseudo-atomic. When all twelve rounds have been expended, just launch up a new cartridge.

I like the Thor idea. So it'd basically be like a small meteor impact. I'm wondering, though, if the rod could be reused or recycled after impact.

Someone's an Endwar fan!  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:03 pm
Sgt Buckner
Fresnel
Requiem6661
Fresnel
Sidal
User Image

Someone's an Endwar fan!
No, I stole it from Niven and Pournelle's Footfall where an alien spaceship takes rocks from the asteroid belt and uses them like Thor poles. To fight back, the humans build Project Orion:

User Image

...which uses the shockwaves from nuclear bombs as thrust.

The space shuttles were tacked on as space fighters, and the cargo bays were fitted with solid-fuel missile launchers. The Michael itself had the main guns from several US Iowa-class battleships bolted on. It was quick, it was dirty, and it was very, very effective.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Anima_Raptor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:03 pm
Fresnel
Sgt Buckner
Fresnel
Requiem6661
Fresnel
Sidal
User Image

Someone's an Endwar fan!
No, I stole it from Niven and Pournelle's Footfall where an alien spaceship takes rocks from the asteroid belt and uses them like Thor poles. To fight back, the humans build Project Orion:

User Image

...which uses the shockwaves from nuclear bombs as thrust.

The space shuttles were tacked on as space fighters, and the cargo bays were fitted with solid-fuel missile launchers. The Michael itself had the main guns from several US Iowa-class battleships bolted on. It was quick, it was dirty, and it was very, very effective.

First off, i watch a few of those dudes on DA, and alot of their designs are legit (at least the rifle designs, no short of an android could fire those 20mm handcannons)

And what exactly is this "Football" you speak of? Game? Book? B-Movie? never heard of it but it looks really cool

Also, i think i saw an episode of Justice League wen Lex Luthor had the same idea, except he used a giant rail gun. Basically sent up a small space station with an expendable array of circular magnets and slung them towards earth.

Which is a hell of an idea if we faced it the other direction, basically having a pseudo-infinite supply of rock ammo to sling around at aliens ^__^  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:33 pm
Footfall is a fine novel. I've met both Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. They're students of the Robert Anson Heinlein school of science fiction.

Larry Niven can also claim to have held private meetings that were later turned into the core briefing materials used to present the concept of space warfare to then President Reagan. He used the THOR weapon system in one of his early novels in the 1970s.

Oh, and William Gibson also used THOR in one of his early cyberpunk novels. I think it was in Count Zero.

Fun uses for your tax money!  

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:19 pm
Floyd
Footfall is a fine novel. I've met both Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. They're students of the Robert Anson Heinlein school of science fiction.

Larry Niven can also claim to have held private meetings that were later turned into the core briefing materials used to present the concept of space warfare to then President Reagan. He used the THOR weapon system in one of his early novels in the 1970s.

Oh, and William Gibson also used THOR in one of his early cyberpunk novels. I think it was in Count Zero.

Fun uses for your tax money!
There were actually plans to build Project Orion, but then we signed an atmospheric nuclear testing treaty with the USSR and the plans went unfulfilled. Thor seems pretty solid though, I really have no idea why we don't use it. Another advantage is that when you launch a nuke, you have this huge ******** billowing cloud of smoke and infrared signatures and it leaves a radar blip that the Russians or whoever can pick up with relative ease without even paying particular attention to the US. Thor is nigh undetectable.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:17 am
In Endwar, it's called Kinetic Strike. I think the first picture posted IS the Endwar satalite  

Buki_Actual

9,050 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:52 am
Sgt Buckner
In Endwar, it's called Kinetic Strike. I think the first picture posted IS the Endwar satalite
"Rods from God make an appearance in the book End War by Tom Clancy."

Game based off the book?  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas