Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Reading Room~* (discussions on books/authors)
silver ravenwolf? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you like silver ravenwolf?
  yes
  no
  i've never looked into her
View Results

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:50 pm
SRW is not a Wiccan, and cannot be said to teach Wicca in any way. It isn't impossible to be a Christian and a Wiccan, but the practices really must be maintained separately, not mixed together - assuming you manage to reconcile honouring the Lord and the Lady of the Isles as acceptable to YWVH. But one of Gardner's original coveners was said to do so, so it obviously isn't impossible.

And as I've said before, very politely, what you practice cannot be qualified as Wicca. It's neo-pagan witchcraft. And Mary is still not a goddess.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:09 pm
ok, so we have a new gal at work who claims up and down to be a Wicca practitioner for 15 years, yet she basically worships te ground that Silver walks upon.... why does this make no sense. any respectable person of any faith would realize that Ravenwolf's work is not very credible.  

whiporwill-o

IceQueenMizore

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:35 pm
I own 1 book, its alright but has you doing alot of the work and honestly i check every thing i learn and try not to take too much from one book, if i did i'd still be conservitive christian. some stuff is a little off.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:40 pm
whiporwill-o
ok, so we have a new gal at work who claims up and down to be a Wicca practitioner for 15 years, yet she basically worships te ground that Silver walks upon.... why does this make no sense. any respectable person of any faith would realize that Ravenwolf's work is not very credible.

SilverRavenWolf founded "The Black Forest Coven" which has many, many branches. There's even one in Flint, MI! It is often referred to as "wiccan." Is she a member of one of the Black Forest Coven's affiliates?
(You would be surprised how many respectable people have been duped by SRW. confused )

@IceQueenMizore: Which book do you have? It's good that you compare the info to other sources. That's a responsible method for going through any text. 3nodding  

RubyLight

IceQueenMizore

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:10 pm
To ride a Silver Broomstick.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:53 pm
On the up side, that's the least crappy of her books, IceQueen.

Still crappy, but the least crappy wink  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Ellisari

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:51 pm
=] I am proud to say, although I admit I started out on the fluffy side, that I am an actual teenage neo-pagan that altogether avoided picking up a Silver Ravenwolf book ^____^

After reading decent material, such as The Spiral Dance, and Drawing Down the Moon, and Gerald Gardner's works, I can agree that Silver Ravenwolf is absolute bollocks.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:57 pm
Eh, I don't know if I'd call "To Ride a Silver Broomstick" the 'least crappy' of her books. I simply found it unremarkable in most respects except for the writing style - which some people love and other people hate. Overall, the author gets far more prejudice than she deserves. It's particularly interesting to note that otherwise tolerant Neopagans suddenly start hate-mongering when Silver Ravenwolf comes up. Whatever happened to simply accepting other people's paths, eh? Simply say it isn't for you and move on; no need to be disrespecting.  

Starlock

Ellisari

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:53 pm
Starlock
Eh, I don't know if I'd call "To Ride a Silver Broomstick" the 'least crappy' of her books. I simply found it unremarkable in most respects except for the writing style - which some people love and other people hate. Overall, the author gets far more prejudice than she deserves. It's particularly interesting to note that otherwise tolerant Neopagans suddenly start hate-mongering when Silver Ravenwolf comes up. Whatever happened to simply accepting other people's paths, eh? Simply say it isn't for you and move on; no need to be disrespecting.

x3 Its not her path thats wrong, its the fact she claims its Wiccan when its not.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:27 pm
*shrug* I think she designates her books as Wicca/Witchcraft "for a new generation" precisely because she recognizes that it is a break from the traditional generation. Where one draws the line between what is and is not Wicca/Witchcraft is somewhat up in the air, so I suppose I don't get ruffled up by her choice of words like a BTW person would.  

Starlock

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:48 pm
WHY DO I NEED TO DO THIS AGAIN.

Quote:
Where one draws the line between what is and is not Wicca/Witchcraft is somewhat up in the air

It is not up in the air. Where one draws the line between Wicca and not-Wicca is firmly established. The fact that you continue to ignore this is your problem, not an indication of lack of definition or a line.

Also, this: "Wicca/Witchcraft"
NO. NOT THE SAME THING.

Quote:
the author gets far more prejudice than she deserves.

Personally I disapprove of the spreading of outright lies as fact. I also disapprove of the spreading of religious bigotry, entitlement, and the encouragement of persecution complexes. If you support this sort of thing or just don't give a ******** fine, but personally I am not a fan and will speak out against it when I see it. It's not simply about what she calls it. It's about what she teaches.

The way she talks about Christianity is disgusting, especially since she will turn around in the next moment and say how wonderful angels are. Her inaccuracies are well documented - OUTSIDE of whether what she teaches is Wicca or not. She claims all witches are Wiccans, that Wicca is an ancient religion, and that Drawing Down the Moon is a ritual any solitary Pagan can perform to charge themselves with lunar energy. Not to mention her recent book that claims to be about Hedgecraft.

Again, if you're cool with the spreading of wankery and similar false information, that's your lookout. I am not.

Quote:
no need to be disrespecting

When $ilver decides to start respecting fact, history, the religions of others, and people in general (not least her readers), then I will consider respecting her.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:07 pm
I have a rule against burning books on a matter of principle, all books have something worthwhile surely?

Not in the case of SRW. As already said she spreads crap like its seed sowing season.
She's bigotted and completely disrespectful. Whats horrible and unjustifiable is that she makes people think that thats ok!!! More than ok...she makes people think its right.

She is a complete con-artist. I have half a mind to campaign to get book sellers to stop selling her books in my area. She gives paganism and wicca a very very very poor name. And its not her who has to clean up the mess. It's people like San-chan, Tea, Cu and the rest who have to sort out SRW "misfit" kids and set them on the proper path. Those are the people who should be getting her dollars.  

doistu

Ellisari

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:36 am
doistu
I have a rule against burning books on a matter of principle, all books have something worthwhile surely?

Not in the case of SRW. As already said she spreads crap like its seed sowing season.
She's bigotted and completely disrespectful. Whats horrible and unjustifiable is that she makes people think that thats ok!!! More than ok...she makes people think its right.

She is a complete con-artist. I have half a mind to campaign to get book sellers to stop selling her books in my area. She gives paganism and wicca a very very very poor name. And its not her who has to clean up the mess. It's people like San-chan, Tea, Cu and the rest who have to sort out SRW "misfit" kids and set them on the proper path. Those are the people who should be getting her dollars.

Exactly!
Do you KNOW how much it irks me to see people my age trying to standout and call themselves "Wiccan" for shock effect! All because they read SRW, and pretty much the only thing they understood was "Yush i can b3 W1ccaN and d0 MAJICK!1one1!".
Its what gives other pagans like you and I a hard time when we say we're pagan, and are automatically grouped with the Hot Topic [nothing against it, I do love that store] obsessed misfits.
If these children reaally want shock effect, they're just saying "wiccan" cause they're too afraid to say "Satan Worshipper".
This really gets in my hair. Because of these SRW worshippers, I can't even tell my parents what I am in a respectable manner, or they'll group me with them, too. And then I'll be sent to some snooty private Catholic school to have it "beaten out of me".

Sorry for the rant. But SRW bothers me. She's a con-artist that makes me and every other Pagan look bad.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:39 pm
iChibi-Panda

This really gets in my hair. Because of these SRW worshippers, I can't even tell my parents what I am in a respectable manner, or they'll group me with them, too. And then I'll be sent to some snooty private Catholic school to have it "beaten out of me".

Sorry for the rant. But SRW bothers me. She's a con-artist that makes me and every other Pagan look bad.

Ultimate irony.
I go to a snooty private Catholic school. I have yet to have had it beaten out of me because no one understands the concept of not belonging to a mainstream religion.
Honestly, its not that bad. A lot of the people are genuinely lovely. But due to the snooty privateness a lot more goes down within each sub-group/click. Like drugs...but thats because mummy and daddy have too much money and don't care about junior hehe  

doistu

Ellisari

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:06 pm
doistu
iChibi-Panda

Ultimate irony.
I go to a snooty private Catholic school. I have yet to have had it beaten out of me because no one understands the concept of not belonging to a mainstream religion.
Honestly, its not that bad. A lot of the people are genuinely lovely. But due to the snooty privateness a lot more goes down within each sub-group/click. Like drugs...but thats because mummy and daddy have too much money and don't care about junior hehe

sweatdrop My point wasnt about the snooty private Catholic school beating someone out of Paganism, my point was that SRW forces sensible pagans, like me, into situations where I can't even tell my parents what I am or I either wont be taken seriously, or have it beaten out of me [By any means, not just snooty private Catholic schools ^^]  
*~Reading Room~* (discussions on books/authors)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games