Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Anima_Raptor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:42 am
Desert_Fox_Rommel
Floyd
I see great potential for this modification. Once all the bugs are hammered out of the belt feed system, this gun will make for one nice home defense weapon.
I don't think a belt fed shotgun mg is such a good idea for home defense. I think a regular shotgun on its own is bad enough. The scatter pattern makes it more likely to damage some of your own property as well as potentially injure a family member that might be on the other side. I know that's kind of a risk with any gun, but with the spread pattern of a shotgun it's more likely you will ruin your stuff. Add a high rate of fire and well your property will probably be ******** up.

Ya, i was just about to say that. Imagine putting 20 shells into the general direction of the robber, and after the guy is down, notice the pellet riddle wall behind him with the silhouette of the guy you just shot up. Not to mention the blood everywhere.

Although coming out with a Shotgun MG Arnold style would be pretty intimidating 3nodding

"GIT DAAAAUGHWN"  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:02 am
roflcopter  

Orkronos

Gracious Sex Symbol

6,575 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Ultimate Player 200

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:39 am
He's working the bugs out, give him time.
3nodding

Hopefully he comes up with a model that's a bit more asthetically pleasing.

Design an upper that looks like an M1919 or an M60.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:01 am
At in-home distances, scatter of shot is not exactly even OPTIMAL, it actually doesn't spread that much at all. Every single pellet of #3 hit a human steel silhouette fairly close together at <7 yards, the average distances of my house.  

uryu ishida

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:12 am
uryu ishida
At in-home distances, scatter of shot is not exactly even OPTIMAL, it actually doesn't spread that much at all. Every single pellet of #3 hit a human steel silhouette fairly close together at <7 yards, the average distances of my house.

Rifled barrel would fix that.

But still that's more spread that you'd get with a solid projectile.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:19 am
OberFeldwebel
uryu ishida

And there's a higher chance of that solid projectile MISSING, and then penetrating your exterior wall. As well as having a much higher chance of overpenetration of the target in ANY serious rifle round. It also imparts more kinetic energy into the target than a pistol. It's a middle ground, that has been adapted SPECIFICALLY for close/mid combat. My 20g hits harder, and with less chance of overpentration, than my 7.62TOK, and that's a pistol round.

It would be hell to shoot an intruder, and then find out the round penetrated him, your inner walls, your EXTERIOR wall, and then your neighbor's home.  

uryu ishida

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:43 am
uryu ishida
OberFeldwebel
uryu ishida

And there's a higher chance of that solid projectile MISSING, and then penetrating your exterior wall. As well as having a much higher chance of overpenetration of the target in ANY serious rifle round. It also imparts more kinetic energy into the target than a pistol. It's a middle ground, that has been adapted SPECIFICALLY for close/mid combat. My 20g hits harder, and with less chance of overpentration, than my 7.62TOK, and that's a pistol round.

It would be hell to shoot an intruder, and then find out the round penetrated him, your inner walls, your EXTERIOR wall, and then your neighbor's home.

I heard that 7.62Tok with lead cast bullets are balistically comparable to .357s.
neutral

No, use the buckshot in the threaded barrel, it'll start spreading instantly.

Apparently Steel shot will damage a rifled barrel, lead is fine though.

The leadshot will foul up your rifling, but it's an easy clean if you set up one of those electrolosis cleaning systems.

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=31740.0  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:05 am
OberFeldwebel
uryu ishida
OberFeldwebel
uryu ishida

I heard that 7.62Tok with lead cast bullets are balistically comparable to .357s.
neutral

The leadshot will foul up your rifling, but it's an easy clean if you set up one of those electrolosis cleaning systems.

]http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=31740.0
You know, they make a bore snake in 12ga. I think it even has the copper bristles on it.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

OberFeldwebel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:09 am
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
uryu ishida
OberFeldwebel
uryu ishida

neutral

You know, they make a bore snake in 12ga. I think it even has the copper bristles on it.

Yeah, but did you read some of the posts in that link?

CenturyHouse

Even after throughly cleaning a Mosin Nagant rifle that I have and it appearing to be totally clean, HUGE amounts of gunk came out using this method.

Also, constant cleaning with brushes or over cleaning, causes a lot of the muzzle wear.
eek
I didn't know that and found that out from the guys at Surplusrifleforum.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:25 am
OberFeldwebel
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
uryu ishida
OberFeldwebel

neutral

Yeah, but did you read some of the posts in that link?

CenturyHouse

Even after throughly cleaning a Mosin Nagant rifle that I have and it appearing to be totally clean, HUGE amounts of gunk came out using this method.

Also, constant cleaning with brushes or over cleaning, causes a lot of the muzzle wear.
eek
I didn't know that and found that out from the guys at Surplusrifleforum. I may have to try this with my Enfield some day. It still has some of that waxy green s**t all over the chamber, maybe that'll come out. Although I'm sure 100 years of ammo has left significant gunk in the barrel on its own.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

uryu ishida

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:29 am
OberFeldwebel
uryu ishida
OberFeldwebel
uryu ishida

neutral

And]http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=31740.0
And just where do I find those?
Because not all of us have reloading setups, or casting equipment. It's balistically comparable, but EVERYTHING that's factory/surplus for TOK is FMJ (and Wolf makes a JHP, but no one seems to carry it). As well, just looking at the feed ramp, the markings left on it from feeding, lead bullets can be deformed. Hand-cycling the CZ shows that it hits the feed ramp pretty hard.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:54 am
uryu ishida
OberFeldwebel
uryu ishida
OberFeldwebel
uryu ishida

neutral

Because not all of us have reloading setups, or casting equipment. It's balistically comparable, but EVERYTHING that's factory/surplus for TOK is FMJ (and Wolf makes a JHP, but no one seems to carry it). As well, just looking at the feed ramp, the markings left on it from feeding, lead bullets can be deformed. Hand-cycling the CZ shows that it hits the feed ramp pretty hard. So long as it doesn't ******** up the trailing edge, you're good. One nick on the trailing edge and your bullet's ********, but you can beat the hell out of the sides and it'll still be pretty accurate.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

uryu ishida

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:22 am
Fresnel
uryu ishida
OberFeldwebel
uryu ishida
OberFeldwebel
uryu ishida

neutral

Because not all of us have reloading setups, or casting equipment. It's balistically comparable, but EVERYTHING that's factory/surplus for TOK is FMJ (and Wolf makes a JHP, but no one seems to carry it). As well, just looking at the feed ramp, the markings left on it from feeding, lead bullets can be deformed. Hand-cycling the CZ shows that it hits the feed ramp pretty hard.
So long as it doesn't ******** up the trailing edge, you're good. One nick on the trailing edge and your bullet's ********, but you can beat the hell out of the sides and it'll still be pretty accurate.Good, because it hits JUST below head on, and then starts rising, before the feed lips FINALLY let the round go.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:02 am
With all this talk of penetration some that's what she said jokes are in order.

As for shotguns with threaded barrels and steel shot aren't there sabots in shot shells anyway that could act as a buffer?  

Desert_Fox_Rommel

uryu ishida

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:05 am
Desert_Fox_Rommel
With all this talk of penetration some that's what she said jokes are in order.

As for shotguns with threaded barrels and steel shot aren't there sabots in shot shells anyway that could act as a buffer?
It's called a shot cup. And from dissecting a BIRDSHOT round earlier, it holds all of the pellets. They don't bounce. BUT, it doesn't look like they are all held in the buckshot shells (NOT taking one apart, too expensive)  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff