Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Scooby-Doo and the Witch's Ghost. A WTF moment* Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Mariah Clark Rocks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:53 am
I liked the movie, I was a little offed by what they said. But damn, it's still scooby doo and I love them.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:24 am
I loved that movie heart , it was actually my first introduction to wicca/paganism although, yes, it was a misinterpretation of the whole "witches are all bad" subject. Scooby Doo movies and shows were definitely one of my big influences lol xd  

Prince of Aces

[ Nicolette ]

6,100 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:57 pm
I always have that song that band was singing stuck in my head, though I'm sure I'm mixing up "wind" with "water", as I keep thinking it goes: "Earth, Wind, Fire and Air" which is kinda...redundant. If it DOES go like that then, wtf.

I always loved that movie, but the core plotline of it never stuck with me; I forgot about the witches=bad and wiccans=good thing until you said it. XD I guess it just goes to show that children will likely not take all of this to heart.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:52 pm
[ Nicolette ]
I always have that song that band was singing stuck in my head, though I'm sure I'm mixing up "wind" with "water", as I keep thinking it goes: "Earth, Wind, Fire and Air" which is kinda...redundant. If it DOES go like that then, wtf.

Yes, the song goes like that. I know, it's catchy. rofl I think it's kind of silly that they left out "water".  

RubyLight

wiccan of the moon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:34 pm
I understand and sympithize with your position. I loved that movie, but it is quite rude. i mean, wiccans and witches are one in the same, are we not?  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:04 pm
wiccan of the moon
I understand and sympithize with your position. I loved that movie, but it is quite rude. i mean, wiccans and witches are one in the same, are we not?

LOL not always wink .
There are non-Wiccan witches. Even non-Pagan witches!  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:09 pm
Violet Song jat Shariff
wiccan of the moon

LOL not always wink .

and witches that have no spiritual or religious beliefs at all.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:11 pm
whiporwill-o
Violet Song jat Shariff
wiccan of the moon

LOL not always wink .

Yup 3nodding .  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:14 pm
Violet Song jat Shariff
whiporwill-o
Violet Song jat Shariff
wiccan of the moon

LOL not always wink .

Yup 3nodding .

hurray for diversity! blaugh  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:18 pm
whiporwill-o
hurray for diversity! blaugh

Speaking of which....
This thread has me wondering...how many of you are also equally as appalled at inaccurate portrayals in the media of other religions?

If you are not as shocked or upset by inaccurate portrayals of other religions, I have to ask why you feel that the way "Wiccans" and "witches" are skewed is somehow worse or more severe than the misrepresentation of other faiths/practices.  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

RubyLight

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:58 pm
Of course I'm upset at the media. Many films and series portray the Rroma as loony mystics. Most Muslims are shown as extemists bastards or something out of Disney's Aladdin. Many Taoists and followers of Confucious are portrayed in a negative or sterotyped light as well.
Would it be the end all if the media didn't reduce every faith to a stereotype? confused  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:19 pm
RubyLight
Of course I'm upset at the media. Many films and series portray the Rroma as loony mystics. Most Muslims are shown as extemists bastards or something out of Disney's Aladdin. Many Taoists and followers of Confucious are portrayed in a negative or sterotyped light as well.

I haven't really seen a stereotyping of Taosim/Confucianism that wasn't more of a racial stereotype though...unless you can refer me to a certain example?
Quote:
Would it be the end all if the media didn't reduce every faith to a stereotype? confused

It wouldn't.
But, this thread just got me thinking about how some folks look at instances like this Scooby-Doo bit and get upset because it's not accurate...but then turn around and probably don't think twice when say, Christianity or Islam is portrayed incorrectly and laugh at it going "LOLOLOLOL oh those silly/fundie/close-minded/dumb Christians/Muslims." neutral

Honestly, for this Scooby-Doo thing....the name of the show says it all. If folks are taking cues from the show as actual fact, then they have much bigger problems to worry about.  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:30 pm
Violet Song jat Shariff

Honestly, for this Scooby-Doo thing....the name of the show says it all. If folks are taking cues from the show as actual fact, then they have much bigger problems to worry about.

agreed.

i actually refuse to watch alot of shows because i find that today's humor tends to lend itself more toward blaspheming rather than actual comedy. it's such a shame.

don't get me wrong, i do have a sense of humor, but so many people take things way too far. beyond the point of being so insulting even to someone who isn't even of the faith that is being ridiculed.... that came out sounding weird, but you know what i mean.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:23 pm
Violet Song jat Shariff
RubyLight

I haven't really seen a stereotyping of Taosim/Confucianism that wasn't more of a racial stereotype though...unless you can refer me to a certain example?
Quote:

It wouldn't.
But, this thread just got me thinking about how some folks look at instances like this Scooby-Doo bit and get upset because it's not accurate...but then turn around and probably don't think twice when say, Christianity or Islam is portrayed incorrectly and laugh at it going "LOLOLOLOL oh those silly/fundie/close-minded/dumb Christians/Muslims." neutral

The Tao/Confucios example is more racial, but they are stereotyping the race and the religion at the same time.
Yes, I notice the derogatory Christian/Muslim references. Sadly, most don't pay attention to that.
The thing about shows such as Scooby Doo is that children willingly accept the stereotypes and it affects their thinking as adults.

As a side note: The show Charmed annoys the hell out of me, for obvious reasons.  

RubyLight

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:26 pm
RubyLight
The Tao/Confucios example is more racial, but they are stereotyping the race and the religion at the same time.

I would say it's a racial stereotype before it's a religious one, but that's me.
Quote:
Yes, I notice the derogatory Christian/Muslim references. Sadly, most don't pay attention to that.

Then you'll understand why the Abrahamic majority can't be assed to pay attention or correct inaccurate portrayals of various Pagan practices?
Quote:
The thing about shows such as Scooby Doo is that children willingly accept the stereotypes and it affects their thinking as adults.

I think you're giving too much credit to children's TV shows neutral And not quite enough credit for kids once they reach a reasonable age to replace media-placed stereotypes with their own real life experiences.
Quote:
As a side note: The show Charmed annoys the hell out of me, for obvious reasons.

Me too xd But I think for different reasons. The plot in that show is awful.  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games