Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Blue Atsushi-Kai

6,550 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Beta Critic 0
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:46 pm
I gotta admit, I have had trouble getting into Pratchett.

Terry Brooks writes some great books, I'd start with the Landover series to get you started before jumping into his more popular book, The Sword of Shannara (which was the first of his now 16 Shannara book set)

Jim Butcher writes a great paranormal detective series called The Dresden Files (first one is called Storm Front). Book 11 is out VERY soon!!! He has a second series which is more old fashioned SciFi called The Furies of Caulderon.

Kim Harrison writes a series similar to The Dresden Files called The Hallows. It's got a female lead. I was amazed how quickly I got into this series, when reviews mostly were bad.

Anne McAffrey wrote two phenomenal books called DragonSinger and DragonSong. The third book in this Harper Hall Trilogy, I had a lot of trouble getting into, but it has it's own fanbase. The third book is called Dragon Drum.

All of Douglas Adams' books are remarkable.

Kurt Vonnegut has a certain following, but I find that I like his shorter stories MUCH more than his novellas.

I can't remember the author, but a book called MAUS (had a series of paintings done for it, which are AMAZING!) is great if you want something that'll tug on your heartstrings. It's WWII era and imagine the jews are mice and the cats are the nazi's. Very powerful, but an insanely fast read.

Of course, the Harry Potter books, but only if you read ALL of them. Stopping after the first few is not an option. The books mature with the characters. As they get older, the language changes, the moods change, and the situations become more "mature".

Frank Beddor wrote an amazing take on Alice in Wonderland in his series The Lookingglass Wars. The first two books are The Lookingglass Wars, and Seeing Redd (and there a supplemental book called Princess Alyss of Wonderland and a 5-shot comic series called Hatter M). The third (maybe final) book is coming out in the fall and it's called The Laws of Wonderland.
This series is MAD! Take the Lewis Carrol books and throw them away. there are SO few similarities. Imagine American McGee's: Alice, and make it less goth and more...down to earth, but still with the terrible predicaments and character mental states. I really love these books.

Sandman gets my vote too.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:58 pm
BOOKS MOVIES WERE BASED FROM!

Minority Report, SURPRISINGLY GREAT BOOK!

I Am Legend. The movie was great, the book is WAY BETTER!

I've found that the Bourne series (Bourne Identity, Supremacy, Ultimatum, Sanctum, etc) has a certain appeal. I've read the first 6, and it's really been a coin toss as to whether or not I liked them. 2, and 5 were good, 1 and 3 were blah, didn't care for 4, and 6 rocked. 7 comes sometime in June.

The Neverending Story. Forget the movie. FOREVER. You gotta read this, as it's totally different and puts a great deal in perspective. Easy and fast read.

The Eragon Cycle. I didn't think I'd like them, and only read them because I thought the movie was cute. It was a pleasant surprise to read them and find that there was SO MUCH MORE that went on. Many important things were cut out from the movie. I don't think that they'll ever do the second book as a movie without redoing the first film. If they do, it'll be a bad idea. Too much backstory was never even written in to the script.  

Blue Atsushi-Kai

6,550 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Beta Critic 0

Kurick-teh-dude

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:25 pm
Looks like someone is having fun >.>  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:07 pm
I'm also gonna plug my roommate's writing >.> Can't really take it anywhere, but...Anyway

http://reannaking.deviantart.com/

Is called Jigsaw :3 Is fantasy  

Af Mas

Kurick-teh-dude

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:10 pm
Af Mas
I'm also gonna plug my roommate's writing >.> Can't really take it anywhere, but...Anyway

http://reannaking.deviantart.com/

Is called Jigsaw :3 Is fantasy

As soon as it said "dragon" I was into it X3. Imma get back to reading it now..oh its chap.15...well imma go find the first chapter xp  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:37 pm
Kurick-teh-dude

xd Why yes, yes I am.  

Blue Atsushi-Kai

6,550 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Beta Critic 0

Kurick-teh-dude

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:00 am
Blue Atsushi-Kai
Kurick-teh-dude

xd Why yes, yes I am.

not you  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:01 pm
Alas Babylon, it was the first book about nuclear war.  

Isaol-the-wolf

Af Mas

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:18 pm
I'm gonna revive this and also recommend Jim Butcher's Dresden Files. Finished the first two in less than two weeks, and they're phenomenal.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:31 pm
I just read "reap the wild wind" by Julie Czerneda.

It was really good. It's sort of a mix between fantasy and science fiction. But if anyone is into that, I would recommend it.  

Rainey_angel81

Adult Furries Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces