Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
How to stop the decline of grammar? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Myriane

5,950 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:29 am
I wholeheartedly agree with this idea (I would join if I even had a guild, which I don't). Maybe if we promote the idea, it will spread out. I am not optimistic or idealistic enough to believe it will reach everybody on Gaia (I mean, come on, Gaia is f*ing huge!), but I do believe it will reach out a good portion of it...  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:50 am
I remeber a time on gaia when you could go to search a fourm and you would'nt find your self being responded to with stars. When everything started to go down hill there was a large scale newbie hate group. Its still there, I think that the whole "grammer going down hill" played a big part of gaia just not being the site it used to be. If we had a spell check system or people just used an online dictionary maybe gaia would be more enjoyable place. I do thinks its a big problem that need to be delt with as soon as possible.

RawrRibbon

KatieDid_202

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:43 pm
Shinobi 1977
My notion is to just set the proper example. Refuse to use text talk even when everyone else in a chat room is. Sooner or later, it'll rub off. I've chatted with people who've had atrocious spelling and grammar. After a while of chatting with me, they've improved dramatically, all without my saying a word.

Flaming and nagging will do just the opposite. When you get on someone's case about a bad habit, it often makes them do it more just to be obstinant. So I would suggest just set the proper example, and if enough of we do it, we'll start to see a change on Gaia (I hope).

I completely agree with you.
I have noticed that when one does something enough, it tends to rub off on others around them.
I think that if all of us just keep typing and saying what we are now, if not improving, we can really set an example for others here on Gaia and maybe even other websites/chat rooms. A problem with this is that they aren't being educated properly in the first place, so some of the structures and spellings look correct to them. There really isn't that much we can do about the education part of it (unless we make some sort of partition or something...but that probably won't happen).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:54 pm
metalmalzan
Trying not to stretch. Note forward post.

Erm, the style where:
and so forth might not work.

Reasoning: Some gaians are too lazy to correct grammar skills, and as people around them have an effect, well, they will taint others... bueagh, my friend actually, well supports txt tlk, and I am being tainted by his spelling! evil

I completely agree with you on this one. I feel as though people are so lazy that they really just don't give a damn anymore.  

KatieDid_202

Zealot of Insanity

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:36 pm
http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12024413

This, my literate friends, is a thread that promotes rapping, which is a type of subliminal messaging and erasing good grammar and spelling from Gaia. I am disgusted by the number of these threads that promote illiteracy and the misuse of punctuation. (which is a branch of grammar confused )  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:51 am
I'm afraid to tell you this, but grammer is not in decline. It is a living being and is constantly changing. Thus, ye olde becomes that old, then becomes "that old school s**t". So grammar is not in decline, but in change from smart, back to stupid, relaxed, and unrefined. xp  

Doombringer50

SilverMaple

Sparkly Lover

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:40 am
I say we scotch tape dictionaries to the eyes of illiterate people and force them to memorize words spellings and meanings! twisted Mwahahahahahaha!!!! *Ish in a funny mood* xd rofl  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:35 pm
Bloody Palms
metalmalzan
Trying not to stretch. Note forward post.

Erm, the style where:
and so forth might not work.

Reasoning: Some gaians are too lazy to correct grammar skills, and as people around them have an effect, well, they will taint others... bueagh, my friend actually, well supports txt tlk, and I am being tainted by his spelling! evil

I completely agree with you on this one. I feel as though people are so lazy that they really just don't give a damn anymore.

"Yes, exactly. I am constantly getting annoyed with my friends' bad grammar and spelling. One of my friends' said that she knows that she is spelling wrong, but she's just too lazy to fix it. Call me a Grammar Nazi for this but, I bug her until she fixes it."

Chthonic Catnip

Bloodsucker

Chthonic Catnip

Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:36 pm
SilverMaple
I say we scotch tape dictionaries to the eyes of illiterate people and force them to memorize words spellings and meanings! twisted Mwahahahahahaha!!!! *Ish in a funny mood* xd rofl

xd xd xd
"YEEAY!! I agree!"
rofl dramallama rofl

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:39 pm
metalmalzan
http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12024413

This, my literate friends, is a thread that promotes rapping, which is a type of subliminal messaging and erasing good grammar and spelling from Gaia. I am disgusted by the number of these threads that promote illiteracy and the misuse of punctuation. (which is a branch of grammar confused )

crying emo crying
"I nearly fainted from having to read that... HORIBBLE-NESS!!"
gonk emo gonk
(("In the forum, I mean."))

Chthonic Catnip

Bloodsucker

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers