Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
New Gods? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:30 am
If they are gods then they are still "little gods". No real power, may be able to get that electronic device going just a little bit longer. I know of a few people who have called on the car god to get their car home. Of course the same result could be achieved by asking the car itself, if you're an animist.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:08 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
raging-earth
Well, the idea of a god/dess must begin somewhere. At one point the gods and goddesses we Pagans/etc. worship were simple thought forms that grew into what they are to us today.

You say that like it's a common belief neutral

I sincerely hope there are more Pagans who actually believe in the gods they worship than there are ones who think they're just ideas and archetypes.
I'm falling even more in love with you, letting go all I've held onto...

I apologize, I didn't say that exactly how I meant (I'm going to take the loser's route and blame my pain meds, lol). I meant that our acknowledgment of those gods and goddess began at some point, they didn't just always exist. Not so much that they were thought forms we created, but that those gods and goddess allowed for humans to slowly notice them. This, to me, is a simplified explanation on why various cultures often move from one higher being to another, because that newer god/dess allowed themselves to be noticed later than the one before him/her.

...I'm standing here until you make me move, I'm hanging by a moment here with you.

raging-earth

o sunflower king

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:46 pm
This... is actually kind of scary. I don't know why, it just bugs me. I get the awful feeling these new "gods" would be angry, because of how our society works, especially with all the negativity with dealing with technology.
My thought is, why not have our old gods become patrons for our new technologies? If they relate, then why not? Like Zeus being the god of electrical energy, lightbulbs and whatnot...
Just a thought.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:29 am
The idea that a fictional novel can yeild new gods of tecnology of all things is scary. Then again, Scientology was created by a Sci-fi writer. (Sad.) Honestly, I think the "new gods" are for lasy people who take their fiction too seriously. Why would I need a new god for the internet? Loki seems to be handling that quite well.  

RubyLight

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:22 pm
Quote:
The idea that a fictional novel can yeild new gods

Pest that I am to bring this up, but...isn't a lot of what we perceive the Lord and Lady to be like based on Aradia: Gospel of the Witches? If I remember correctly Hutton said that a lot of thing were based on poems and other fictional writings of those particular time periods.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:37 pm
too2sweet
Quote:
The idea that a fictional novel can yeild new gods

Pest that I am to bring this up, but...isn't a lot of what we perceive the Lord and Lady to be like based on Aradia: Gospel of the Witches? If I remember correctly Hutton said that a lot of thing were based on poems and other fictional writings of those particular time periods.

That's rather interesting. For clarification, what sort of fictional writings of the time period are we talking about? Calling poetry describing deity fiction is debatable.  

RubyLight

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:02 pm
The White Goddess was an influence too, IIRC. I imagine they were inspired by something, but nevertheless, it does make one wonder.

I'm not saying the Lady isn't there, but perhaps she is rather different to how she is commonly perceived. I mean, if we're talking of the Lady of the Isles, why would she be like an Italian goddess, as in Aradia? We don't know, save Morg, what that goddess is like. Not in any solid, certain way. If we're talking about another Lady, she would be different than the Lady of Wicca, and the same source materials may not apply.

Okay, I don't think that made a great deal of sense. I'm just kinda babbling. Don't mind me.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:38 pm
That is scary. I think material possessions have too much importance to some people. It's one thing for someone to worship through a statue, or some other such item, that represents a god. But to actually worship the material item itself... I don't know. That would worry me.  

dark_angel_32189

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:50 am
Quote:
For clarification, what sort of fictional writings of the time period are we talking about? Calling poetry describing deity fiction is debatable.

It's more of a case where many of the aspects that have been assigned to certain Gods/esses were based on how they were described in the literature. Not necessarily saying that the particular God/ess didn't exist before hand, but that how we perceive them is somewhat based on fictional writings

Quote:
The White Goddess was an influence too, IIRC. I imagine they were inspired by something, but nevertheless, it does make one wonder.

I knew I was forgetting something. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:45 am
too2sweet
Quote:
For clarification, what sort of fictional writings of the time period are we talking about? Calling poetry describing deity fiction is debatable.

It's more of a case where many of the aspects that have been assigned to certain Gods/esses were based on how they were described in the literature. Not necessarily saying that the particular God/ess didn't exist before hand, but that how we perceive them is somewhat based on fictional writings.

Oh, that makes sense. Some of those issues would be cleared up with UPG right? Unless, they're thoughtforms. sweatdrop  

RubyLight

IceQueenMizore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:57 pm
Jenny Artucio
This... is actually kind of scary. I don't know why, it just bugs me. I get the awful feeling these new "gods" would be angry, because of how our society works, especially with all the negativity with dealing with technology.
My thought is, why not have our old gods become patrons for our new technologies? If they relate, then why not? Like Zeus being the god of electrical energy, lightbulbs and whatnot...
Just a thought.

You know, SOME people treat their technology with respect, I don't think they'd be angry

Also: DIBS ON NAMING THE GOD OF VIRTUAL GAMING  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:30 pm
God of Virtual Gaming shalt be named:

NINSEGONG

OH YEAH, got the dawn of home, counsels disc, and arcade all in there  

IceQueenMizore

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:48 pm
IceQueenMizore
You know, SOME people treat their technology with respect, I don't think they'd be angry

I'd think that some of the "gods" would become angry at being discarded in favor of new technology.
I think I mentioned an example of the 3.5" floppy disk....no one uses floppys anymore. Hence, if someone had created a deity around that item, the deity behind that was suddenly jilted and left out in the cold by the evolution of CD-RWs and DVD-Rs.

I agree with Jenny in letting the gods we already have and honor take on the techie front. (drawing from the pantheon I honor; I don't recommend anyone hijacking random gods that they don't usually honor) Thorr is a protector...but why limit that to one's home/frith? Odinn is associated with knowledge and wisdom...and if I'm really trying to dig up something obscure, I ask him (if he doesn't mind, of course) to help me in my search for knowledge. If I'm being cheeky or trying to give someone enough rope to hang themselves with in a discussion, Loki or even Odinn again can enter here.

So most of the time I really don't think it's a matter of "OMG these are new things and hence need new gods to go with them!" but rather it's an issue of the practitioner in question knowing their gods and what their gods can handle/cover.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:28 pm
Tell me if you saw this coming:

Odin is the God of Google and Wikipedia.  

IceQueenMizore

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:31 pm
IceQueenMizore
Tell me if you saw this coming:

Odin is the God of Google and Wikipedia.

....No, I didn't.

I would think Odinn to have higher standards than Wiki at any rate xd  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games