Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Discourse

Back to Guilds

A guild for those who wish to occasionally find refuge from the GD and ED forums 

Tags: conversation, debate 

Reply Gaian Discourse
Revelations Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

end times ???
  yes
  no
  don't care
View Results

Archaic Thought
Captain

Aged Phantom

7,325 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:25 pm
Being an atheist, I tend to think the world will either end in one of two ways, a World consumin war, or a global ice age.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:09 pm
mistercombine
Being an atheist, I tend to think the world will either end in one of two ways, a World consumin war, or a global ice age.

What, no meteor?  

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:10 pm
Dion Necurat
black_wing_angel
Dion Necurat
black_wing_angel
Well, if I see a guy on horseback chasing me with a flaming sword, yeah, I'm calling it quits.

But, it should be noted, that EVERY stage of humanity, that has had the bible, has sorta wondered if they were living in the "revelations" time period, and looking for signs. I've often found myself looking for those signs, myself. Revelations happens to be my favorite book of the bible, due to the creepy and cryptic nature of it.

So, while I'm not convinced that this is the time of Revelation, still, we'll always wonder if "today" is, until the time that there's undeniable proof. Even if it means we suspect, for 500 years. It's the nature of human fear, and curiosity.

Also, keep in mind that the Book of Revelations doesn't actually predict "the end of days", but the end of the era. In which there will be created "New Heaven" and "New Earth". This could possibly refer to an event already passed, without our knowing, or, the "New Earth" could be a reference to humanity terraforming a new planet to inhabit, as the Earth itself only has so much longer, with our blatant abuse of it.

It doesn't necessarily mean the end of humanity, just the end of this given planet.

Dion Necurat
Revelations does not predict the end of days. Rather, it is a metaphorical analysis of Nero's reign as Rome's emperor. Additionally, a lot of people make proclamations in regards to revelations that are not canon.

Are you, by chance, referencing the guys in the street with cardboard signs that say "THE END IS NEAR!", or something else entirely?

Nah, those guys are amusing. Its just my usual shot at people who think Dante's Inferno is canon.

Ah yes. The same people that think that the Da Vinci code is real.

Those people are ******** stupid. It says in the book that it is a complete work of fiction. Difficulty reading?

Ah, but does the MOVIE tell you it's a work of fiction?

THAT, is where the confusion is coming from. Hell, you'd be surprised how many people think it's an independent film, and not a "book to film".  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:20 pm
His Supreme Excellency
As an atheist, my Biblese is out of practice. But doesn't it say something to the effect of nobody being able to predict the end times? Furthermore, haven't people been predicting the end of days since near the beginning of days? One coincidence does not a conspiracy make, my friend.

Yes, the Mayan calendar says we're all supposed to end in 2012. But I'm not going to lose sleep over it.  

DioxazinePlum

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:31 pm
DioxazinePlum
His Supreme Excellency
As an atheist, my Biblese is out of practice. But doesn't it say something to the effect of nobody being able to predict the end times? Furthermore, haven't people been predicting the end of days since near the beginning of days? One coincidence does not a conspiracy make, my friend.

Yes, the Mayan calendar says we're all supposed to end in 2012. But I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

Well, that's the assumption. People tend to assume the worst case scenario.

The more "likely" thing, is that it's the end of the calendar, and it starts over. Or, quite possibly, the end of an age. It doesn't have to be the end of the world. And even if it WAS supposed to be such, you should know that predictions do not always pan out as they are foretold, unless they're too vague.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:42 pm
black_wing_angel
DioxazinePlum
His Supreme Excellency

The more "likely" thing, is that it's the end of the calendar, and it starts over. Or, quite possibly, the end of an age. It doesn't have to be the end of the world. And even if it WAS supposed to be such, you should know that predictions do not always pan out as they are foretold, unless they're too vague.

like nostradamases predictions.  

Akikan

Wilczurak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:57 pm
I don't see how a global currency could represent evil--in any form. It could stabilize the global stock market as a whole. It could enrich countries in dire need of assistance. It could rid the world of hardcore segregation. It could do many things for the overall public of Earth, many things. Many positive things.

However, knowing the nature of humankind, we can discern that such a thing will not be allowed. Corporations would lose too much money. The US would lose its power over other countries. The game of dominance would be abolished. The powers that be cannot let such things happen. They do not care for us. They care only for their bank accounts and how far they could push others.

I also don't see how credit could be a sign of the anti-christ. (I will not turn this thread into a discussion of theism and/or atheism.)

Global Warming explains the disasters. Swine Flu has been blown out of its initially meager proportions--meaning that it's no bigger than any other kind of flu. Violence? We've always had that. We always will.

As an afterthought: The bible is too vague in its descriptions of prophecies. That mark of the anti-christ might as well be the cellphones that each of us carry. It could be anything--if you're already assuming that those marks aren't literal, and you are.

Personally, I believe in none of this bs. The world may only come to an end thanks to Global Warming. Not God, not the end of a calendar.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:08 pm
Akikan
black_wing_angel
DioxazinePlum
His Supreme Excellency

like nostradamases predictions.

Yeah, They're LAUGHABLY vague, and a lot of people still don't catch that.  

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100

Archaic Thought
Captain

Aged Phantom

7,325 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:04 pm
black_wing_angel
mistercombine

What, no meteor?

That, too, but the chances of War or a global ice age are much greater.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:21 pm
mistercombine
black_wing_angel
mistercombine

What, no meteor?

That, too, but the chances of War or a global ice age are much greater.

I guess so.  

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:00 pm
Kaz-Balan
tack119
alot of christians in this current day believe that we are living in the end times as is stated in the book of revelations. I too share this view.

I don't. What's the use ?

Rather than desperately whining, crying "it's the end of times", I prefer informing myself, preparing in conscience for the crisis, discussing for possible consequences and solutions, etc.

To the Christian you say you are, I'd advise to take what moral support the Bible may bring, for now and later, for you and other people around you, relatives, friends and neighbours.

After all, the Bible might even be some source of hope, by bringing people together into some discussions, because our world doesn't only need technical progress or social progress, as the people have obtained in rich countries, but also moral progress.

Yeah, the people of this world could definitely use some moral upgrading, in my opinion.  
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:47 pm
I'm an atheist, so I don't believe in a biblical apocalypse. However. I do believe that their will be a global disaster do to either war, overpopulation, or pollution.  

Zambimaru

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:48 am
Zambimaru
I'm an atheist, so I don't believe in a biblical apocalypse. However. I do believe that their will be a global disaster do to either war, overpopulation, or pollution.

I think we ALL believe in that, no matter what faith we follow.  
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:04 am
black_wing_angel
Zambimaru

I think we ALL believe in that, no matter what faith we follow.

um wait...did you just find grounds for world peace? something we all agree on? eek you heard it here first...:p  

village midget

Fanatical Smoker

Gaian Discourse

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas