Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Discourse

Back to Guilds

A guild for those who wish to occasionally find refuge from the GD and ED forums 

Tags: conversation, debate 

Reply Gaian Discourse
Should fathers have a say in abortion? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Does a man have a say in the abortion of his child?
  Yes
  No
  Depends.
View Results

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:44 pm
Fresnel
The Curse
He should have a decision of his own to make.

Instead of just hoping his pro-life girlfriend will change her mind, he should have the option of aborting his rights to the child.

It's ridiculous that a woman can get pregnant and then practically enslave the man, taking chunks of his income and demaniding his time for the large life period of eighteen years when the woman can walk out by going to an abortion clinic.

She should have to make her decision knowing the man can, for the period after conception until birth, has the right to abort as much as she does.
That, unfortunately, leaves a pro-life woman to fend for herself without the man who impregnated her to help.

All the more reason to actually THINK, before you consent to sex. Talk, discuss options, and risks, and decide if it's really worth the long term risks, for the short term benefits. That would prevent a LOT of this problem.

But God knows that's too much to ask of people... stare  
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:50 pm
Fresnel
The Curse

Instead of just hoping his pro-life girlfriend will change her mind, he should have the option of aborting his rights to the child.

It's ridiculous that a woman can get pregnant and then practically enslave the man, taking chunks of his income and demaniding his time for the large life period of eighteen years when the woman can walk out by going to an abortion clinic.

She should have to make her decision knowing the man can, for the period after conception until birth, has the right to abort as much as she does.
That, unfortunately, leaves a pro-life woman to fend for herself without the man who impregnated her to help.

Yeah, but this is not the man's problem, really. If she can't look after it, but wont kill it, there is nothing wrong with letting it up for adoption or looking for help elsewhere (e.g. family).

If she is pro-life she should be extra aware of contraception. It's completely her fault she's in the mess if she is left alone. She had the legal right to opt out via abortion or adoption.

Without the mans right to opt out legally, you get a situation where the woman can opt out for both of them, or opt in for both of them, no exceptions.  

The Curse

Fresnel

Citizen

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:05 pm
black_wing_angel
Fresnel
The Curse

All the more reason to actually THINK, before you consent to sex. Talk, discuss options, and risks, and decide if it's really worth the long term risks, for the short term benefits. That would prevent a LOT of this problem.

Given other recent events we're both aware of, we both know that men can be manipulative ******** until the last possible moment.  
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:07 pm
The Curse
Fresnel
The Curse

Yeah, but this is not the man's problem, really. If she can't look after it, but wont kill it, there is nothing wrong with letting it up for adoption or looking for help elsewhere (e.g. family).

If she is pro-life she should be extra aware of contraception. It's completely her fault she's in the mess if she is left alone. She had the legal right to opt out via abortion or adoption.

Without the mans right to opt out legally, you get a situation where the woman can opt out for both of them, or opt in for both of them, no exceptions.
Well, contraception isn't 100% effective, and I bet we all know someone out there (I'm lookin' at YOU, 4chan) who'd poke a hole in their condom to knock up a pro-life girl they were pissed at just to destroy her future.

I do recognize the disparity here, I'm just playing devil's advocate because I don't like any of the solutions presented thus far.  

Fresnel

Citizen

Kuchen Fairy

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:39 pm
The Curse
Fresnel
The Curse

Without the mans right to opt out legally, you get a situation where the woman can opt out for both of them, or opt in for both of them, no
exceptions.

Situations like this really need to be left in the hands of the court. All too often a man will promise to be there or whatever and then decide late into the pregnancy that he'd rather not. This situation isn't particularly black and white.  
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:43 pm
Silver Screen
The Curse
Fresnel
The Curse

Without the mans right to opt out legally, you get a situation where the woman can opt out for both of them, or opt in for both of them, no
exceptions.

Situations like this really need to be left in the hands of the court. All too often a man will promise to be there or whatever and then decide late into the pregnancy that he'd rather not. This situation isn't particularly black and white.
These talks aren't public though, so in court they just degrade into he-said-she-said, unless one of them was enough of a paranoid tin-hat crazy that s/he bugged their private conversations.  

Fresnel

Citizen

Kuchen Fairy

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:46 pm
Fresnel
Silver Screen
The Curse
Fresnel
The Curse

exceptions.

These talks aren't public though, so in court they just degrade into he-said-she-said, unless one of them was enough of a paranoid tin-hat crazy that s/he bugged their private conversations.

Life story of every court case ever.  
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 5:43 am
Fresnel
black_wing_angel
Fresnel
The Curse

Given other recent events we're both aware of, we both know that men can be manipulative ******** until the last possible moment.

Of course we can. That's where "thinking" becomes critical. Women need to think, and realize that, when he says "If you really loved me, then you would" he's REALLY saying "I don't love you enough to respect your decision to wait, so either put out, or I'm gone."

And yes, men need to realize that sex is a short term benefit, with long term consequences, and simply is not worth the hassle, until you're ready to face those consequences. And it SURE as hell isn't worth being a manipulative ********, over.

But both lessons are sexually interchangeable. There are women who'll use sex to manipulate men, that men need to watch out for, for example.

All it boils down to, is that "thought" is the Superman to not ******** up your life.

I mean, seriously, we have hands. If you're really THAT hot under the collar, then you have the tools to fix it, without all the trouble.  

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100

Fresnel

Citizen

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 6:31 am
black_wing_angel
Fresnel
black_wing_angel
Fresnel
The Curse

Of course we can. That's where "thinking" becomes critical. Women need to think, and realize that, when he says "If you really loved me, then you would" he's REALLY saying "I don't love you enough to respect your decision to wait, so either put out, or I'm gone."

And yes, men need to realize that sex is a short term benefit, with long term consequences, and simply is not worth the hassle, until you're ready to face those consequences. And it SURE as hell isn't worth being a manipulative ********, over.

But both lessons are sexually interchangeable. There are women who'll use sex to manipulate men, that men need to watch out for, for example.

All it boils down to, is that "thought" is the Superman to not ******** up your life.

I mean, seriously, we have hands. If you're really THAT hot under the collar, then you have the tools to fix it, without all the trouble.
Things aren't always so cut-and-dry. There's always the "Hah, I never actually loved you I was just saying it to get in your pants." It's extremely common.  
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 6:32 am
Silver Screen
Fresnel
Silver Screen
The Curse
Fresnel
The Curse

exceptions.

Most court cases have a shred of evidence in them somewhere.  

Fresnel

Citizen

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 7:45 pm
Fresnel
black_wing_angel
Fresnel
black_wing_angel
Fresnel
The Curse

Things aren't always so cut-and-dry. There's always the "Hah, I never actually loved you I was just saying it to get in your pants." It's extremely common.

I know, and those people are pathetic. stare

What a sad world we live in...  
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 2:28 am

And if I say to you that I wanted to, know that I lied

This is an issue I feel strongly about, because it can be circumstantial.

A woman can maliciously find a man and get herself pregnant for the child support she is due once the child is born, the man, unsuspecting, may not want a child, and reccommends abortion. In this case, if he believed the woman when she said she's protected, it is his fault. If he used a condom, then he did the best he personally could to protect himself from an unwanted child- so should he have to pay child support? the DNA states that he is responsible for 50% of the child, so does that make him responsible by default?

In reverse, a father might want a child, while the mother wants to kill the damn thing because she does not want it. Does the mother have to use her body as a 'rent a womb' and then pay child support afterwards for a child she didn't want in the first place? Surely, the man could have just found a willing woman to carry his child, and perhaps share in the raising of it later?

It's a very messy situation, there's no way to tell a woman she must carry a child for nine months so a man can have his baby, it's akin to abusing someone physically.

Legally, though: The woman has right to her own body. The Biological father of the baby is responsible for it just as the mother is responsible to it, but ultimately, it's the decision of the mother.
You could be right

Kats Scratches

Kats Scratches

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 2:34 am
Fresnel
Silver Screen
Fresnel
Silver Screen
The Curse

exceptions.

Most court cases have a shred of evidence in them somewhere.

Actually, in Australia there's a preliminal hearing of evidence in the Magistrates court to see if there's enough evidence to go to another court.

Fresnel

And if I say to you that I wanted to, know that I lied

Extremely common? It's more than that. It's rarer to find somoene who will stay with you than to find someone who'll just ******** you, and whisper sweet words in your ear to make the situation a little smoother for them.

You could be right

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 3:23 am
black_wing_angel
Fresnel
black_wing_angel
Fresnel
black_wing_angel

Ya ._.;
Well at least not everybody is an a*****e... not yet anyway.  

magmayoshi

Dapper Mage

Fresnel

Citizen

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 8:02 am
black_wing_angel
Fresnel
black_wing_angel
Fresnel
black_wing_angel

And unfortunately we must take into account said pathetic loser assholes and try to protect the women they prey on.  
Gaian Discourse

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff