Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Discourse

Back to Guilds

A guild for those who wish to occasionally find refuge from the GD and ED forums 

Tags: conversation, debate 

Reply Gaian Discourse
Refusing medical treatment. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Archaic Thought
Captain

Aged Phantom

7,325 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:00 pm
black_wing_angel
Fresnel
mistercombine
Really, that's... something. Hm, well, freedom of choice really. That and natural selection would weed him out for stupidty. Humanity wins!
I wouldn't say stupidity. Chemo's no 'take two and call me in the morning'. It'll ******** you up.

This.

Not everyone might be willing to go through the dangers of chemo. And why should they?

Heartless as I may be, isn't the disposition for cancer mostly genetic? Remove that little bit from the gene pool. (If it is)  
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:08 pm
mistercombine
black_wing_angel
Fresnel
mistercombine
Really, that's... something. Hm, well, freedom of choice really. That and natural selection would weed him out for stupidty. Humanity wins!
I wouldn't say stupidity. Chemo's no 'take two and call me in the morning'. It'll ******** you up.

This.

Not everyone might be willing to go through the dangers of chemo. And why should they?

Heartless as I may be, isn't the disposition for cancer mostly genetic? Remove that little bit from the gene pool. (If it is)

It depends on the type of cancer and the general circumstance.  

Kuchen Fairy

Fresnel

Citizen

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:27 am
mistercombine
black_wing_angel
Fresnel
mistercombine

This.

Sometimes, but not always. Getting sunburned too often can cause skin cancer. Poor luck and a single stray gamma ray from the sun can cause cancer pretty much anywhere in your body. Too many X-rays, exposure to radioactive material (including odorless radon gas that likes to seep into basements), asbestos, first- or secondhand tobacco smoke... there's a million non-genetic ways to get cancer.  
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:49 am
Fresnel
mistercombine
black_wing_angel
Fresnel
mistercombine

This.

Sometimes, but not always. Getting sunburned too often can cause skin cancer. Poor luck and a single stray gamma ray from the sun can cause cancer pretty much anywhere in your body. Too many X-rays, exposure to radioactive material (including odorless radon gas that likes to seep into basements), asbestos, first- or secondhand tobacco smoke... there's a million non-genetic ways to get cancer.

Gotta' catch 'em all!

Anyways, it is mostly to do with your immune system and just plain luck. Radiation and mutagens make mutations more likely to happen but if your immune system is decent and you are lucky, it won't get out of control. It only takes one sneaky mutation to ******** you over though.  

magmayoshi

Dapper Mage

Kats Scratches

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:50 am
Fresnel
mistercombine
black_wing_angel
Fresnel
mistercombine

This.

She burns like the sun, and I can't look away

I'm still trying to work out how my radiotherapy killed cancer.
She'll burn our horizons, make no mistake.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 4:14 am
Kats Scratches
Fresnel
mistercombine
black_wing_angel
Fresnel
mistercombine

This.

It killed a massive amount of cells in the area, among other things. They're accelerating the body's process of Russian roulette through radiation by introducing a greater amount (and more localized) than you get naturally, hoping all the cancerous cells get a bullet. "Let's try to kill you in this area. Your normal cells will gradually replace themselves anyways."  

magmayoshi

Dapper Mage

Fresnel

Citizen

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:09 am
magmayoshi
Kats Scratches
Fresnel
mistercombine
black_wing_angel

This.

It killed a massive amount of cells in the area, among other things. They're accelerating the body's process of Russian roulette through radiation by introducing a greater amount (and more localized) than you get naturally, hoping all the cancerous cells get a bullet. "Let's try to kill you in this area. Your normal cells will gradually replace themselves anyways."
Russian roulette is a pretty good analogy. Normal radiation is like playing reverse russian roulette in a crowded room. One guy gets shot, everyone else gets unruly. Radiotherapy is like playing reverse russian roulette with an automatic weapon. EVERYONE DIES except the one guy holding it, and the cops (your immune system) mop him up later.  
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:34 pm
A little update for those interested: the boy is still refusing and says he won't stop as physical resistance to reject this treatment. Looks like they're going to either have to hold him down or appeal in court, if they can.

There was a poll on MSNBC where like ******** 68 percent of voters thought it was right of the government to tell this boy what to do with his own body despite the fact that it was hurting nobody but himself.

Seriously, if it's what he wants, why is it anybody else's business? The parents are not forcing this. This was his initial decision and he came to it on his own, from what he has said, and the parents simply support his decision. So why do people think it's okay for the government to step in to save the kid's life? You're putting him through hell to do so. I just don't think it's fair at all. It's like forcing people to eat X vegetable just because it's good for them, only 100 times more serious.  

Kuchen Fairy

Kuchen Fairy

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:30 pm
Mother, son missing in forced chemotherapy case. Thank God they're fighting.  
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:48 pm
Silver Screen
If all else fails, this kid should eat a shotgun in protest. This is so ******** wrong it's sickening.

OOH! OOH! He should claim to be a Christian Scientist.  

Fresnel

Citizen

magmayoshi

Dapper Mage

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:54 pm
Fresnel
Silver Screen
If all else fails, this kid should eat a shotgun in protest. This is so ******** wrong it's sickening.

Ya...

Or even better, inverted-Jesus! He's so magical he can only cure his own sickness.  
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:03 pm
Fresnel
Silver Screen

What I don't understand is how a girl even younger than this boy can go across state lines to have an abortion and not even have to inform her parents of the medical procedure - and yet this kid can't even decide for himself whether or not he should get chemo. I have a feeling this is going to end up in the hands of the Supreme Court.
How far can the government go in controlling others until people step up and say hey, this is wrong? Until it starts happening to those people? It's very easy to judge from the outside - chemo gives the kid a chance at life, so chemo sounds great. But I'm not that kid. Nobody else is that kid except him. He's the only one that should be able to make decisions about his own body if it's not harming anybody else.

And honestly, if I was that kid and felt the same way he did about the whole thing, a shotgun to the teeth is the exact thing I'd be pondering right about now. I hope they don't find him but chances are the government will, and no doubt by then he'll be significantly more ill, so by the time they strap him down and force the chemo on him, it may or may not be too late and he'll just spend the rest of his days throwing up his Cheerios. Sounds charming.

All in all, I'd rather die the way I want to than let somebody else tell me what's "best" for me.  

Kuchen Fairy

black_wing_angel
Vice Captain

Blessed Rogue

10,775 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Mega Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:26 am
Silver Screen
Fresnel
Silver Screen

What I don't understand is how a girl even younger than this boy can go across state lines to have an abortion and not even have to inform her parents of the medical procedure - and yet this kid can't even decide for himself whether or not he should get chemo. I have a feeling this is going to end up in the hands of the Supreme Court.
How far can the government go in controlling others until people step up and say hey, this is wrong? Until it starts happening to those people? It's very easy to judge from the outside - chemo gives the kid a chance at life, so chemo sounds great. But I'm not that kid. Nobody else is that kid except him. He's the only one that should be able to make decisions about his own body if it's not harming anybody else.

Yes, chemo does sound great. Unless you practice a given religion or spirituality that bans advanced medical procedures, and any artificial medicines.

I forget what it was, but there is a religion that bans blood transfusions, as well as many medical procedures, save for "natural" cures.

Essentially, with that in mind, it's unconstitutional to tell someone, ANYONE, "YOU WILL GET THIS DONE!". If he wants to die, then ******** it. Let him die. He surely has his reasons.

The government has no right to tell you what you can and can not do with your own body, as that infringes "bodily domain", which is what all of those pro-choice advocates hold SACRED.

In short, if I make a decision regarding my body, knowing damn good and well the consequences, and it holds no legitimate effect on YOUR life, then ******** your opinion.

Quote:
And honestly, if I was that kid and felt the same way he did about the whole thing, a shotgun to the teeth is the exact thing I'd be pondering right about now. I hope they don't find him but chances are the government will, and no doubt by then he'll be significantly more ill, so by the time they strap him down and force the chemo on him, it may or may not be too late and he'll just spend the rest of his days throwing up his Cheerios. Sounds charming.

All in all, I'd rather die the way I want to than let somebody else tell me what's "best" for me.

I agree. Where does it end? Will the government soon decide that my diet is unacceptable, and force me to eat food I wouldn't touch, because "it's what's "best" for me"?

I don't think so. I'd just assume stab myself with the fork, than eat some of the s**t that's supposed to be "good" for me.

I spent 12 years in public school (plus Kindergarten), and I've seen some of the food that the good ol' Government has "approved" for my diet, and let's just say that I skipped lunch more than a few times. The s**t they feed kids in school, man.

Although, it got better in Highschool, since you could actually CHOOSE what you got. You could have just a boat of fries, every ******** day, if you wanted! As many boat-fulls as you want, as long as you pay for them all!  
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:51 am
Interesting story from an acquaintance on LJ.

Quote:
I would like to point out that from 2007-2008, there was a similar case in my home state, Connecticut, involving Chelsey Cruz, a 15 year old with lupus. Unfortunately, the case appears to have generated little publicity aside from the local news. Chelsey's mother and Chelsey refused chemotherapy and other treatments after observing their effects on Chelsey. In the end, Chelsey was forced to have the treatments and a uniformed guard was employed to stop her mother from removing the girl from the hospital.

As reported in newspaper the "Hartford Courant":

In a letter to the judge dated Feb. 1, Chelsey, an honors student at Capital Prep Magnet School in Hartford, wrote about the "horrifying side effects " of her medication and said her parents were being "penalized" for supporting her desire to try alternative treatment.

"I have already tried what the doctors consider to be the standard of care for the past five years. I have experienced the horrifying side effects of them and realized that they have not helped me in any way. In fact, I feel I have gotten worse and now require dialysis," Chelsey wrote. "In light of this, I no longer want to use them."

"I would also like to be back with my mom and brothers without any interference from any agency," she wrote.

While receiving involuntary medical treatment, Chelsey Cruz died, without being allowed to spend her last days with her mother.

Copies of the news articles are here:

http://www.lymediseasenetwork.com/Chelsey_Cruz.pdf

Copies of my letters to the newspaper are here:

http://shimmersplash.livejournal.com/tag/chelsey+cruz

I can imagine the same such circumstances may end up befalling this kid as well.  

Kuchen Fairy

Fresnel

Citizen

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:19 pm
black_wing_angel
Silver Screen
Fresnel
Silver Screen

Yes, chemo does sound great. Unless you practice a given religion or spirituality that bans advanced medical procedures, and any artificial medicines.

I forget what it was, but there is a religion that bans blood transfusions, as well as many medical procedures, save for "natural" cures.
That's why I said Christian Science. They believe that the first step in curing ANY disease is prayer. They've killed kids with curable diseases before by making them pray before a doctor would see them, and no judge in the country dares rule against them, as they'll just scream 'freedom of religion'. He should convert to Christian Science and they'll never be able to touch him.

Quote:
Essentially, with that in mind, it's unconstitutional to tell someone, ANYONE, "YOU WILL GET THIS DONE!". If he wants to die, then ******** it. Let him die. He surely has his reasons.

The government has no right to tell you what you can and can not do with your own body, as that infringes "bodily domain", which is what all of those pro-choice advocates hold SACRED.

In short, if I make a decision regarding my body, knowing damn good and well the consequences, and it holds no legitimate effect on YOUR life, then ******** your opinion.

Quote:

I agree. Where does it end? Will the government soon decide that my diet is unacceptable, and force me to eat food I wouldn't touch, because "it's what's "best" for me"?

I don't think so. I'd just assume stab myself with the fork, than eat some of the s**t that's supposed to be "good" for me.

I spent 12 years in public school (plus Kindergarten), and I've seen some of the food that the good ol' Government has "approved" for my diet, and let's just say that I skipped lunch more than a few times. The s**t they feed kids in school, man.

Although, it got better in Highschool, since you could actually CHOOSE what you got. You could have just a boat of fries, every ******** day, if you wanted! As many boat-fulls as you want, as long as you pay for them all!
Who are we kidding? Drugs, prostitution... we've never had bodily domain.  
Gaian Discourse

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff