Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
What's worse? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Finding typos in...
  A video game.
  Subtitles for movies.
  A (published) book.
  Fellow grammarian's sentences.
View Results

MyMyMyGirl

2,650 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:55 am
Quote:
Some examples of technology are playstation's, mobile phone's, microwave's, tv's.

What the bloody hell?

In my Grammar book I found "Barrmitzvah" instead of Bar Mitzvah.

I think typos are really bad when they're in school books or reading books. It just makes the author look like they don't have any clue on what they're doing.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:49 pm
Honestly, it's a nightmare when a school text is plagued with grammar errors. I constantly have to overlook misspellings in my technology texts (For instance, theirs =/= there's!), and it's horrendous to have to deal with professors that can't spell.

This is especially pathetic when they're using Powerpoint presentations from more than two semesters ago. What excuse can a professor really give, at that point?

"Sorry, never got around to fixing the typo that's printed in size 48 font."

Really? Then please don't b***h to us about how you think all college kids these days are lazy assholes, please. rolleyes

KuraiKitty

Cthulhu Eating Ye

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:24 pm
It annoys me greatly when I find grammatical errors or typos within schoolwork or books. However, finding errors in posts of fellow grammar devotees is worse than finding them in books. Hypocrisy is the ultimate evil.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:50 pm
iesl
I would have voted for the book, but since subtitles for movies was an option, I voted for that.
I'm assuming the published book is at least two hundred pages with a small font. In this instance, it is acceptable, as long as the mistakes are moderate. And, hopefully, they are mistakes. I would give the author and the editor the assumption that they overlooked it, and do not believe the typo is proper. But subtitles in a movie? A movie is not as long as a book. With so many people working on its production, I judge these typos harshly.

I agree about the subtitles. Sometimes, fan subtitles just make me want to force-choke people sometimes.  

toachung

7,450 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Nerd 50
  • Contributor 150

angelswolf121

Partying Codger

8,850 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Champion 300
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:00 pm
Tests typed by English teachers!  
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 4:53 am
One of my older books (from about 1950's) has the word "clew" in place of the word "clue." [A clew is a thread, as of yarn or cotton. Theseus was given a clew by Ariadne to get into and out of the Labyrinth.] I've also seen books from this decade with dropped letters and homonym/synonym mistakes. It gets very annoying to be reading a book by a favorite author and suddenly come across a typographical error.  

Melantha007

8,450 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items