Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

uryu ishida

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 6:13 pm
Inquisitor Brock
uryu ishida
Inquisitor Brock
I like .22 too, for guns primarily designed for it. But an M4 shooting .22 is a b*****d child. Doesn't belong in either world.
The M4 was designed to be modular for damn near any caliber. Shut it. They make ARs in everything from .22LR to .50Beowulf, a purpose-built .22LR AR-15 is far from strange.

Besides, it's purpose-built for .22, the lower is not compatible with other uppers, except possibly other CTR uppers (if you're getting a CTR with a plan of a .223 upper, you're doing it back-asswards)

Doesn't make it any less of a b***h gun. The took the balls the M4 has with .223, which is pretty much a .22 on steroids, and hacked them right off.

If it was full auto, it'd be cool. Now it's just weird.

Though I will say, it looks alot better than the ungodly AK47 and M16 .22 replicas I see at the shows nowadays. Gives me nightmares.
It's just as valid as any other firearm. As was already stated, it's designed for the low-budget and for low-cost/low-recoil training. It's cheaper than a full AR and conversion kit, as well as not requiring readjusting sights or optics (as you change nothing, unlike with a conversion). It's really a new-age version of the Jager AR-22. The Jager was also German, and a.22LR version of the M16, and now that it's out of production, the DEDICATED .22LR AR market is pretty sparse with little competition other than conversions, which have various downfalls.

Now, a downfall with this one, is it seems it's not compatible with current .22LR AR-15 magazines, just their own, even if the magwell is entirely to spec. I don't get how that works, other than feeding.  
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 12:08 am
uryu ishida
Inquisitor Brock
uryu ishida
Inquisitor Brock
I like .22 too, for guns primarily designed for it. But an M4 shooting .22 is a b*****d child. Doesn't belong in either world.
The M4 was designed to be modular for damn near any caliber. Shut it. They make ARs in everything from .22LR to .50Beowulf, a purpose-built .22LR AR-15 is far from strange.

Besides, it's purpose-built for .22, the lower is not compatible with other uppers, except possibly other CTR uppers (if you're getting a CTR with a plan of a .223 upper, you're doing it back-asswards)

Doesn't make it any less of a b***h gun. The took the balls the M4 has with .223, which is pretty much a .22 on steroids, and hacked them right off.

Though I will say, it looks alot better than the ungodly AK47 and M16 .22 replicas I see at the shows nowadays. Gives me nightmares.
It's just as valid as any other firearm. As was already stated, it's designed for the low-budget and for low-cost/low-recoil training. It's cheaper than a full AR and conversion kit, as well as not requiring readjusting sights or optics (as you change nothing, unlike with a conversion). It's really a new-age version of the Jager AR-22. The Jager was also German, and a.22LR version of the M16, and now that it's out of production, the DEDICATED .22LR AR market is pretty sparse with little competition other than conversions, which have various downfalls.

Now, a downfall with this one, is it seems it's not compatible with current .22LR AR-15 magazines, just their own, even if the magwell is entirely to spec. I don't get how that works, other than feeding.
Why would you have to change the sights with a conversion? Both sights are on the upper.

Oh, did you mean a drop-in bolt conversion?  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

uryu ishida

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 7:41 am
Fresnel
uryu ishida
Inquisitor Brock
uryu ishida
Inquisitor Brock

Why would you have to change the sights with a conversion? Both sights are on the upper.

Oh, did you mean a drop-in bolt conversion?
Generally, the .22AR market is dominated by the drop-in conversions, with a couple uppers thrown in (aren't they mostly made by some of the people who do drop-ins?), which generally requires the sights to be recalibrated for .22LR. If you car, anyway. If the point is to train without killing your wallet, you might. An upper is a good idea, if you already have an AR. Unless you use optics that you want to train with, it's pretty much the perfect plan if you already have an AR.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:08 pm
Well, we went to the goodie shop, adn boy, I have to start going in with a blindfold in.

He got three new SIGs in.
About a bajillion new revolvers.
6 CZ-82s, with proving targets for all of them (sumbitches are accurate)
Mossberg Persuader
Saiga 12, about his hundredth one
AK-47 clone, though it needs a looser mag release and new mag release spring.
Six Colt Tactical Rimfires. Handling review below.
Double Star AR-15s
And one stripped lower.
That's far from everything, but that's just the notables. He has a metric ton of GLOCKs and XD/XDms.

Colt Tactical Rimfire Handling Review
This is just from handling it in-store. It feels solid and tight. The action is the right strength, not too hard or light to actuate. He had installed a red-dot sight on it, so I can't comment on factory sights. The adjustable stock easily adjust perfectly to my size. The safety turns a full 180 to go from safe to fire, which I didn't particularly like. It was still easy to do with just your thumb, though. The trigger was very nice. No external slide release or lock. It's been said that the forward assist didn't work, but it moved on the one I tried. Packaged with two magazines in this particular store for $149 LESS than the first ones in my area that only came with ONE mag. Mags will be about $30 and are proprietary from BDM mags because of a tab on the back. Balances well and hefts just like an AR.

Is it bad that I give my MOM and allowance? I just gave her $50 to put down on her AR-7, and we "played" with it a while. The buttplate is on very tight, which will need some working to get it usable easily. Assembly is easy to simple, Henry could have done a bit more finishing on the barrel attachment area, there are "fluffies" that need buffing out for sake of my OCD. She'll have to get used to the aperture sight, since she's used to open leaf-type sights., but it shouldn't be hard to teach her since I'm used to aperture sights.

The Saiga 12's sights are set WAY forward. AND the barrel is threaded. Why!? A shotgun silencer is several FEET long.  

uryu ishida

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:03 pm
uryu ishida
Mossberg Persuader
Dear god tell me it's not the one with the outrageously huge muzzle brake?

Quote:
Is it bad that I give my MOM and allowance? I just gave her $50 to put down on her AR-7, and we "played" with it a while. The buttplate is on very tight, which will need some working to get it usable easily. Assembly is easy to simple, Henry could have done a bit more finishing on the barrel attachment area, there are "fluffies" that need buffing out for sake of my OCD. She'll have to get used to the aperture sight, since she's used to open leaf-type sights., but it shouldn't be hard to teach her since I'm used to aperture sights.
Henry, huh? I've been ogling one of those for a while now. You'll have to tell me if it has any silly quirks after you've had it for a bit.

Quote:
The Saiga 12's sights are set WAY forward. AND the barrel is threaded. Why!? A shotgun silencer is several FEET long.
Suppressors aren't the only thing you put on threads. Flash hiders, brakes, and compensators also go there. Also, I could be wrong, but I think Saiga uses an external choke system. It's a ~2" barrel extension that screws on those threads.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:07 pm
Fresnel
uryu ishida
Mossberg Persuader
Dear god tell me it's not the one with the outrageously huge muzzle brake?

Quote:
Henry, huh? I've been ogling one of those for a while now. You'll have to tell me if it has any silly quirks after you've had it for a bit.

Quote:
Suppressors aren't the only thing you put on threads. Flash hiders, brakes, and compensators also go there. Also, I could be wrong, but I think Saiga uses an external choke system. It's a ~2" barrel extension that screws on those threads.
It's the Roadblocker that has the muzzlebrake. This just a pistolgrip shotgun with a head sheild.

We don't have it yet, but we've put it on his easypay (layaway) plan. I was going to put the Colt on, but we were in too much of a hurry to fill out another 4473. I got to help him get everything out and fondle it, though. Something though, is that the bolt handle restracts, so remember to pull it out when you assembe it or you'll have a hell of a time pulling the bolt back. Oh, and the buttcap is on there GOOD.

Ah, but still.  

uryu ishida

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:10 am
uryu ishida
We don't have it yet, but we've put it on his easypay (layaway) plan. I was going to put the Colt on, but we were in too much of a hurry to fill out another 4473. I got to help him get everything out and fondle it, though. Something though, is that the bolt handle restracts, so remember to pull it out when you assembe it or you'll have a hell of a time pulling the bolt back. Oh, and the buttcap is on there GOOD.
I know you don't have it yet, but by the time I'm in a position to buy one you will have had it for a while.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:43 am
Fresnel
uryu ishida
I know you don't have it yet, but by the time I'm in a position to buy one you will have had it for a while.
Well luckily, I just got a job that gives me $400 (before tax) per pay period.
That's MINIMUM WAGE.
So I can get much more now, and maybe even afford ammo!  

uryu ishida

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:11 am
DO NOT WANT

An M4 in anything other than .223/ 5.56 is not on my wish list.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:36 pm
Guess you must not like the platform, because it's modular to almost ANY caliber ever made, though I should be more specific and say that they're mostly the rimless calibers.  

uryu ishida

Man of the Demoneye

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:59 pm
I really don't get why some of you guys are so against .22 versions of the more popular rifles. It's a godsend around here where .22 is about the biggest rifle you can shoot. Plus the whole cost / availability thing with the ammo.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:23 pm
Man of the Demoneye
I really don't get why some of you guys are so against .22 versions of the more popular rifles. It's a godsend around here where .22 is about the biggest rifle you can shoot. Plus the whole cost / availability thing with the ammo.
Yeah, when you consider that the cost of a 30-round magazine's worth of .223 is more than the cost of a value-brick of .22LR, it gets handy to have tacticool rifles in .22. One round of .22 is roughly 2.2 cents, so you can fire about 23 rounds of .22LR for the price of a single bullet of most other major calibers.

The math just works in your favor if you have a .22.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

uryu ishida

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:57 pm
Man of the Demoneye
I can STILL buy 550 rounds of Federal for $12. How much .223 does that get today? Not very much at all, possibly not even a whole magazine. I happen to like .22s because I can afford to shoot them, which is why I wish someone made a modern 7.62x25TOK carbine, because I can also afford to shoot that.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:29 pm
uryu ishida
Man of the Demoneye
I can STILL buy 550 rounds of Federal for $12. How much .223 does that get today? Not very much at all, possibly not even a whole magazine. I happen to like .22s because I can afford to shoot them, which is why I wish someone made a modern 7.62x25TOK carbine, because I can also afford to shoot that.
I'm curious what kind of shotshell prices you get. Wal-Mart out here sells 100 packs of Winchester, 12 gauge, #8 shot for $22. I found that shockingly low.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

uryu ishida

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:25 pm
Fresnel
uryu ishida
Man of the Demoneye
I'm curious what kind of shotshell prices you get. Wal-Mart out here sells 100 packs of Winchester, 12 gauge, #8 shot for $22. I found that shockingly low.
Reasonable is all I can say. I don't shoot it enough to care much, and what I end up buying is more expensive because it's buckshot.  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff