Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Barru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:42 am
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Maybe the selector switch completely disengages the gas system and it works like a blowback. Perhaps that lowers the rounds per minute.
I would almost expect that to speed it up, because blowback starts on the bullet leaving the cartridge, while gas starts only when the bullet is almost out of the barrel.

Man, we should start designing a gun. xd

Really?
Hmm... yeah we should.
Should use a caliber that's already made or should we make a new one?

Hmmm...
5.8?
aww... already made.
8.8x57?
grr... .348 win

Well, I like my 7.62s so perhaps we could just make one like that with a different casing size. More or less powder.

7.62x60?
.30 Orion FFFFFFFFFFFFFUU-

Hmm, maybe a cartridge size between x39 and x54R that's either rimless for semi-auto or rimmed for bolt.

You gotta be ******** kidding me.
Stupid Czech beat me to it.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
I wonder if anyone made a 7.62x50, too close to 7.62x51 nvm.

x40, yup already made.

Yeah ******** that, go with an already made cartridge.

Any firearms that I would make would probably a slight homage to the old military rifles.
Could be good. Maybe. Expensive? ... ******** yes.

omg...
if this is made I will become an hero.
You know 9x39 right?
What about...
9x54?
It's not! OMG!
We found the round.
Now to make a rifle.

I'm thinking of making a bolt and a semi-auto.
Just wonder if it should be a rimless round.

I'm picturing the bolt action, a lot like a Mosin but bigger. Not necessarily longer, just bigger.

Or perhaps a somewhat smaller version of the PTRS 41.

Or maybe... just make a whole new rifle.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:36 am
Barru
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel
Maybe the selector switch completely disengages the gas system and it works like a blowback. Perhaps that lowers the rounds per minute.
I would almost expect that to speed it up, because blowback starts on the bullet leaving the cartridge, while gas starts only when the bullet is almost out of the barrel.

Really?
Hmm... yeah we should.

Hmmm...
5.8?
aww... already made.
8.8x57?
grr... .348 win

Well, I like my 7.62s so perhaps we could just make one like that with a different casing size. More or less powder.

7.62x60?

Hmm, maybe a cartridge size between x39 and x54R that's either rimless for semi-auto or rimmed for bolt.

x40, yup already made.

Any firearms that I would make would probably a slight homage to the old military rifles.

omg...
You know 9x39 right?
What about...
9x54?
It's not! OMG!
We found the round.
Now to make a rifle.

I'm picturing the bolt action, a lot like a Mosin but bigger. Not necessarily longer, just bigger.

I'd be curious to see how something like a 5x100 would show up on the ballistics charts. Just for shits and giggles. Tiny bullet, ******** supermassive case, and a s**t-ton of powder. If you can keep the bullet a solid when it comes out the end, lulz may ensue. Actually, I'd be curious to see how a liquefied bullet would perform, too.

I had an idea for an action once... a bullpupped AR action. Obviously gas piston, because impingement sucks, but instead of a buffer behind the bolt carrier, you use an EXPANSION spring (or two), and fasten them to the front of the receiver. That way the limit of how far back the action can be set is no longer dictated by the buffer spring, but by the bolt carrier. With a few modifications you could probably cut that down quite a bit, too. It wouldn't be super far back, but you could still drop the grip in front of the magazine.

Ooh, a gyrojet sniper rifle. Most of the infamous inaccuracy of the gyrojet was due to manufacturing defects in the gas vents of the more common models of gyrojet round, so it would be easily fixed. You could hypothetically end up with a rifle the size of a P90 with 1000+ yard accuracy, .50 cal hollowpoint impact, and nearly no report at the shooter's location.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Barru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:44 am
Fresnel
Barru
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel

Really?
Hmm... yeah we should.

Hmmm...
5.8?
aww... already made.
8.8x57?
grr... .348 win

7.62x60?

x40, yup already made.

omg...
You know 9x39 right?
What about...
9x54?
It's not! OMG!
We found the round.
Now to make a rifle.

I'd be curious to see how something like a 5x100 would show up on the ballistics charts. Just for shits and giggles. Tiny bullet, ******** supermassive case, and a s**t-ton of powder. If you can keep the bullet a solid when it comes out the end, lulz may ensue. Actually, I'd be curious to see how a liquefied bullet would perform, too.

I had an idea for an action once... a bullpupped AR action. Obviously gas piston, because impingement sucks, but instead of a buffer behind the bolt carrier, you use an EXPANSION spring (or two), and fasten them to the front of the receiver. That way the limit of how far back the action can be set is no longer dictated by the buffer spring, but by the bolt carrier. With a few modifications you could probably cut that down quite a bit, too. It wouldn't be super far back, but you could still drop the grip in front of the magazine.

Ooh, a gyrojet sniper rifle. Most of the infamous inaccuracy of the gyrojet was due to manufacturing defects in the gas vents of the more common models of gyrojet round, so it would be easily fixed. You could hypothetically end up with a rifle the size of a P90 with 1000+ yard accuracy, .50 cal hollowpoint impact, and nearly no report at the shooter's location.

May have to use non-expanding rounds.
Perhaps a steel core or mild steel core with either a copper or soft metal jacket.

Even then though, it's a small bullet, and could heat up real fast.
Especially with all that burning powder.
If that melts and s**t we could try an 8, 9 or even a 10x100.

You do like the gyrojet idea don't you?
Yeah, that'd be fun to resurrect. But I doubt any places would let you shoot those, as the rockets could cause a fire.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:10 am
Barru
Fresnel
Barru
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel

Really?
Hmm... yeah we should.

Hmmm...
5.8?
aww... already made.
8.8x57?
grr... .348 win

7.62x60?

x40, yup already made.

omg...
You know 9x39 right?
What about...
9x54?
It's not! OMG!
We found the round.
Now to make a rifle.

Perhaps a steel core or mild steel core with either a copper or soft metal jacket.

Yeah, that'd be fun to resurrect. But I doubt any places would let you shoot those, as the rockets could cause a fire.
Come to think of it, I once heard of a guy locally who had a rifle that shot .50BMG cases necked down to .223. I wonder how THAT worked? I should see if I can figure it out. I heard the gun was massive, to deal with the pressures

They gyrojet had its place. Not exactly suitable for CQB, but for long-range sniping it could be an extremely effective weapon, and disorienting for the recipient's guards. Not to mention the rifle needs nearly nothing on it to counteract recoil or handle chamber pressure. All you need is a trigger, a hammer, and a barrel.

I can see the fire hazard concern, actually. Indoor ranges would probably be fine, those are all steel and brick anyway, but outdoor ranges might be picky about it. Then again, dragonsbreath exists...  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Barru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:17 am
Fresnel
Barru
Fresnel
Barru
Fresnel
OberFeldwebel

Really?
Hmm... yeah we should.

Hmmm...
5.8?
aww... already made.
8.8x57?
grr... .348 win

7.62x60?

x40, yup already made.

omg...
You know 9x39 right?
What about...
9x54?
It's not! OMG!
We found the round.
Now to make a rifle.

Come to think of it, I once heard of a guy locally who had a rifle that shot .50BMG cases necked down to .223. I wonder how THAT worked? I should see if I can figure it out. I heard the gun was massive, to deal with the pressures

They gyrojet had its place. Not exactly suitable for CQB, but for long-range sniping it could be an extremely effective weapon, and disorienting for the recipient's guards. Not to mention the rifle needs nearly nothing on it to counteract recoil or handle chamber pressure. All you need is a trigger, a hammer, and a barrel.

I can see the fire hazard concern, actually. Indoor ranges would probably be fine, those are all steel and brick anyway, but outdoor ranges might be picky about it. Then again, dragonsbreath exists...

Yeah it does, but do they allow you to shoot them at ranges?

And how many times did you set stuff on fire?
wink  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:48 am
Barru
Fresnel
Barru
Fresnel
Barru

Really?
Hmm... yeah we should.

Hmmm...
5.8?
aww... already made.
8.8x57?
grr... .348 win

7.62x60?

x40, yup already made.

omg...
You know 9x39 right?
What about...
9x54?
It's not! OMG!
We found the round.
Now to make a rifle.

wink
Surprisingly, some ranges do. You just have to shoot it in the rifle range, and if you light it on fire, you better damn well put it out.

So far I have a 100% fire rate, 'cos I've only shot one round. It was past midnight though, and I was pretty blind. DO NOT shoot Dragonsbreath after dark with your eyes open. My brother's done it once himself, but he's shot quite a few more rounds than I. Birdshot is red, dragonsbreath is dark orange... mistakes were made and a tree got lit on fire.

My point was, though, if something as volatile as dragonsbreath is made, gyrojets aren't bad at all in comparison.

ETA: Looked it up. Apparently necking down .50BMG to .22 is a time-honored suicidal pastime for the slow-witted wildcatter. Most guns that can fit the cartridge can't handle the pressure.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Barru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:13 pm
Fresnel
Barru
Fresnel
Barru
Fresnel
Barru

Really?
Hmm... yeah we should.

Hmmm...
5.8?
aww... already made.
8.8x57?
grr... .348 win

7.62x60?

x40, yup already made.

omg...
You know 9x39 right?
What about...
9x54?
It's not! OMG!
We found the round.
Now to make a rifle.

wink
Surprisingly, some ranges do. You just have to shoot it in the rifle range, and if you light it on fire, you better damn well put it out.

So far I have a 100% fire rate, 'cos I've only shot one round. It was past midnight though, and I was pretty blind. DO NOT shoot Dragonsbreath after dark with your eyes open. My brother's done it once himself, but he's shot quite a few more rounds than I. Birdshot is red, dragonsbreath is dark orange... mistakes were made and a tree got lit on fire.

My point was, though, if something as volatile as dragonsbreath is made, gyrojets aren't bad at all in comparison.

ETA: Looked it up. Apparently necking down .50BMG to .22 is a time-honored suicidal pastime for the slow-witted wildcatter. Most guns that can fit the cartridge can't handle the pressure.

Hmm... could make a rifle out of a solid block of steel, 3" x "3 x 5' 9"
But it'd be more like a cannon.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:10 am
What about a rifle round in the 10-11mm range? Something with a similar bullet to a .40, 10mm, or .45 bullet, but a long, perhaps bottleneck cartridge. Maybe .458 SOCOM or even .50 Beo? How do those stack up?  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Barru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:50 am
Fresnel
What about a rifle round in the 10-11mm range? Something with a similar bullet to a .40, 10mm, or .45 bullet, but a long, perhaps bottleneck cartridge. Maybe .458 SOCOM or even .50 Beo? How do those stack up?

45-70?
... 45-140
O.O

No idea. But I think a straight cartridge would be easy on reloading.
Then perhaps releasing a bottleneck as well.
That way they can use either bullets to reload.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:50 am
Barru
Fresnel

45-70?
... 45-140
O.O

No idea. But I think a straight cartridge would be easy on reloading.
Then perhaps releasing a bottleneck as well.
That way they can use either bullets to reload.
Bottleneck bullets generally get better performance because they have a solid surface to gas seal against. Rimmed and semi-rimmed cartridges use the rim, bottlenecks use the taper, and straight-walled cartridges use the leading edge of the cartridge. VERY finicky. Rimmed rounds, though they get the best gas seal, have the disadvantage of not stacking well in a magazine. Overall a bottleneck round gets more consistent pressure with looser tolerances.

Also, .45-70 is a dying round. Wikipedia says that at one time, it disappeared, and Marlin filled the gap with the .444 Marlin, a semi-rimmed, straight-walled round. Maybe that might be an acceptable round?

Quote:
The Marlin can push a 240 grain bullet at velocities over 2,400 ft/s (730 m/s) generating 3,070 ft·lbf of energy (730 m/s and 4,160 J) making it well suited for all large game. SAAMI has rated this cartridge at 44,000 CUP.
Unfortunately...
Quote:
It functions most efficiently when used with cast lead bullets.
Cast-lead will quickly ******** up a gas-recoil system, as proven by everyone's favorite DEAGLE.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Tier One OPERATOR

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:54 am
Combine rimmed and bottlenecked. Also, the feed problem was solved by the Nagant system, so if you don't mind having a semi that strips, it's pretty legit.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:03 am
Fresnel
They're both considered to be essentially modern equivalents of .45-70  

Tier One OPERATOR

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:12 am
Horrified Survivor
Fresnel
.45-70 is the true American big-bore hunting round. If it can down anything from a buffalo to a grizzly, I'm game. It'd ******** a man up, hard-core. Mitigating the kick a touch might be nice, though. I know .45-70 is pretty manageable for such a large round, but less recoil is always better. Maybe dropping in some 20mm-type recoil reducing tech?  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:15 am
Fresnel
Horrified Survivor
Fresnel
.45-70 is the true American big-bore hunting round. If it can down anything from a buffalo to a grizzly, I'm game. It'd ******** a man up, hard-core. Mitigating the kick a touch might be nice, though. I know .45-70 is pretty manageable for such a large round, but less recoil is always better. Maybe dropping in some 20mm-type recoil reducing tech?
They were both designed to be in AR-platforms.

Fifty Beowulf was deliberately designed as the Action Express for ARs.  

Tier One OPERATOR

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:24 am
Horrified Survivor
Fresnel
Horrified Survivor
Fresnel
They were both designed to be in AR-platforms.

Fifty Beowulf was deliberately designed as the Action Express for ARs.
Well, I'm tossing out every decent .40-.50 caliber rifle round I can think of. So far, that makes:

.444 Marlin
.45-70 Gov
.458 SOCOM
.50 BEO

And now I'm just looking for an analysis from people who know their s**t. Personally I don't like the idea of the .45-70. Venerable though it is, it's not as long-range as I'd like, and it's falling out of favor.  
Q&A (Are YOU using this?)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff