Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Nines19

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:22 pm
Boxy
Nines19
Wait, this religion may have some purpose.

If my calculations are correct, all those fluffy fwiccans following SRW like she's God/dess are actually UUs.
If this is true, we can say this to their faces.

Commence Operation Bwa-ha-ha-ha.
Well, the essence of UU is fluffy eclecticism.

Wait, "fwiccan"? Is that because they're fwiccan cwazy?

Tweety might say so, but I use it to mean "fake Wiccan".  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:35 am
I met one who was supposed to lead a spirituality group at the GAGV youth. Apparently the youth facilitator thought it'd be a great idea.

The guy she found was rather presumptive. I found his beliefs rather insulting.  

Gho the Girl

Cyrus the Elder

6,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:55 am
Gho the Girl
I met one who was supposed to lead a spirituality group at the GAGV youth. Apparently the youth facilitator thought it'd be a great idea.

How so, if I may ask ninja  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:54 am
i have encountered all kinds of Unitarians.

a good friend of mine is Catholic and was abused and deserted by her husband and feels it is unrighteous to remarry. so she goes to the Unitarian Church with her Hindu POSLQ.

i see nothing wrong with that, and am glad that they have that option.

some Unitarians are strongly pro-Jesus of Nazareth (isn't he an attractive character, when you get past the institutional trappings?)

and some are more Emersonian vague lecturing solipsists.  

chessiejo

Gho the Girl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:29 pm
Cyrus the Elder
Gho the Girl

Basically said he believed my belief in something greater was outdated and quaint.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:39 pm
Gho the Girl
Cyrus the Elder
Gho the Girl

Basically said he believed my belief in something greater was outdated and quaint.
That's pretty demeaning. The guy sounds like an a**.  

rmcdra
Captain

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150

Vasilius Konstantinos

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:13 pm
Ah, Unitarian Universalists. All faiths are fine until they show any disdain for other faiths, and then we take the bad parts out and make it nice and squishy. How cute.

Its a joke religion. Its a "can't we all just get along" religion. No offense to those who practice it, but hey, its the net. Insult me back!  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:40 pm
Boxy
Okay, so if you aren't familiar with the prospect of Universal Unitarians, I highly suggest that you read up on their basic tenets.

Now, my question is whether they are too liberally-minded. I mean, they kinda through out the Baby Jesus with the bathwater-turned-into-wine. The basic theology rejects the divinity of Christ, the reality of any miracles, and so on and so forth.

The basic theology does not reject these concepts. It is silent on them.

Quote:
Essentially, it is the organization for humanism while still retaining the trappings of communal worship.

I briefly flirted with the idea of joining the UU and this is, essentially, how I explained it. I agree.

Quote:
eMy question is, does drawing from too large of a body of mythos -- from literally any religion -- does it detract from the depth of meaning and study?

Why would it? Their base message, essentially, is Agape and that all persons are called to follow this regardless of nation, religion, etc. They draw from any work or religion, Locke or the Bible, to back the message.

In the congregation I attended, the service worked in two parts that were deemed 'Hours.' First hour, the minister (or guest speaker) would speak on some topic (and the lectures were actually rather good). Second hour, the congregation would break off into 'small groups.' One group would be dedicated to discussing the lecture, another current events, and the others tended to vary. These small groups offered opportunity for reflection and feedback from others on one's spiritual growth.

Quote:
What think you, gentle liberals?

Eh, the congregation near me seemed to just be there to masturbate to how wonderful they were and how backwards everyone else was. Well, not everyone was like that, but too many for comfort. A lot of the actions, especially on the 'Green Committee,' were not done in efforts to make the church green but rather to be able to say that they made the church green. This is by the admittance of the Head of the Green Committee. But I've encountered the same in Christian churches; it is a fault of humans, not the UU.  

Aino Ailill

Aino Ailill

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:50 pm
Vasilius Konstantinos
Ah, Unitarian Universalists. All faiths are fine until they show any disdain for other faiths, and then we take the bad parts out and make it nice and squishy. How cute.

Its a joke religion. Its a "can't we all just get along" religion. No offense to those who practice it, but hey, its the net. Insult me back!

Yo momma's so ugly just after she was born, her mother said "What a treasure!" and her father said "Yes, let's go bury it."

biggrin  
Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces