Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Is a Full Moon Esbat Ritual Really Necessary? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Esbats are:
  absolutely necessary
  not really necessary
  only if you feel like it
View Results

A Sentimental Heart

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:43 pm
Morgandria

No worries. Which Goddess in particular are you speaking of?

And alone - as in, singular. One individual. Wicca is a coven-based practice. Even a properly initiated member of a Wiccan coven can't practice Wicca alone - they need to be with the group to properly practice the rites.

I haven't been able to catch her name yet, but the only time I ever encountered her visually she seemed like an odd combination of an Egyptian version of Nyx and Gaia put together.

I'm quite worried now; I've never performed a ( Esbat or personal ) ritual with anyone else. Certainly I'll look into it now, aha.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:18 pm
TheBelikov
Morgandria

No worries. Which Goddess in particular are you speaking of?

And alone - as in, singular. One individual. Wicca is a coven-based practice. Even a properly initiated member of a Wiccan coven can't practice Wicca alone - they need to be with the group to properly practice the rites.

I haven't been able to catch her name yet, but the only time I ever encountered her visually she seemed like an odd combination of an Egyptian version of Nyx and Gaia put together.

I'm quite worried now; I've never performed a ( Esbat or personal ) ritual with anyone else. Certainly I'll look into it now, aha.

Why should it concern you? You honour a goddess who is not the Wiccan Lady, and you aren't an initiate of a tradition or a coven - all that means is you're an eclectic solitary neo-pagan witch, not that your rites are invalid. As long as you understand and recognize that what you do can't honestly be called Wicca, it's all good. smile

There's nothing wrong in being a neo-pagan witch. That's where I started, and that's where I still am, even though I am also a Wiccan initiate. I can and do work alone - and at those times I'm not practicing Wicca.  

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

A Sentimental Heart

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:09 pm
Morgandria

Why should it concern you? You honour a goddess who is not the Wiccan Lady, and you aren't an initiate of a tradition or a coven - all that means is you're an eclectic solitary neo-pagan witch, not that your rites are invalid. As long as you understand and recognize that what you do can't honestly be called Wicca, it's all good. smile

There's nothing wrong in being a neo-pagan witch. That's where I started, and that's where I still am, even though I am also a Wiccan initiate. I can and do work alone - and at those times I'm not practicing Wicca.

Ah, the clarification is very, very much appreciated! All the names of who's called what have been very confusing to say the least. Thank you =).  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:11 am
I follow a goddess whose name I'm ignorant of myself. I've had some inklings, but it's like trying to hear something underwater. *shrug* Maybe I'll earn it one day or perhaps I'll never know it, but I'm certain she has one. At least one. Maybe hundreds.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

ncsweet
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:17 am
Sanguina Cruenta
I follow a goddess whose name I'm ignorant of myself. I've had some inklings, but it's like trying to hear something underwater. *shrug* Maybe I'll earn it one day or perhaps I'll never know it, but I'm certain she has one. At least one. Maybe hundreds.

This is where I am as well...I've felt called to her for years, but as of yet her actual name has not been revealed. Hopefully one day she will deem me worthy of the knowledge.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:18 pm
I don't think that it's absolutely necessary, but it's better if you do. Who does'nt want to honor the moon cycles anyway? They help us stay intuned with Mother Earth.  

Arcaniss Vivian

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:58 pm
Arcaniss Vivian
I don't think that it's absolutely necessary, but it's better if you do. Who does'nt want to honor the moon cycles anyway? They help us stay intuned with Mother Earth.

Not all systems follow or honour a lunar cycle or lunar calendar. Nor are all pagan faiths 'earth-based'. For some an Esbat may be competely irrelevant, and perhaps inappropriate.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:50 pm
Morgandria
Arcaniss Vivian

Not all systems follow or honour a lunar cycle or lunar calendar. Nor are all pagan faiths 'earth-based'. For some an Esbat may be competely irrelevant, and perhaps inappropriate.

Define "systems". I'm off in my own little systematic world if we're talking about Neo-Paganism or Wicca.....lol. ^^  

Arcaniss Vivian

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:30 am
Arcaniss Vivian
Morgandria

Define "systems". I'm off in my own little systematic world if we're talking about Neo-Paganism or Wicca.....lol. ^^

Systems - the specific methods or calendars used by a specific path.

If we're talking Wicca, you are indeed separate from that system, not being of the Wica. smile

If we're talking about neo-paganism in general, my point still stands. Your particular individual path may involve Esbats, but other Neo-pagan religions may not involve the lunar calendar, feel that the Moon or the Earth themselves are part of a feminine Deity concept, or have any need to honour celestial bodies at all.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:46 am
Morgandria
Arcaniss Vivian
Morgandria

Systems - the specific methods or calendars used by a specific path.

If we're talking Wicca, you are indeed separate from that system, not being of the Wica. >: (

If we're talking about neo-paganism in general, my point still stands. Your particular individual path may involve Esbats, but other Neo-pagan religions may not involve the lunar calendar, feel that the Moon or the Earth themselves are part of a feminine Deity concept, or have any need to honour celestial bodies at all.

I get lost when attempting to use a lunar calendar, so that will take some time. I'm entirely unclear on any feminine Deity concept and by honoring Mother Earth, what I meant was simply being thankful for the Earth. I was not actually referring to any "Earth-based deities". I apologise for my atrocious grammer and spelling, for I have caused misjudgement. I'm in this guild for tutoring as you can see that my knowledge is lacking severely.  

Arcaniss Vivian

Orchidsandfractals

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:44 pm
I always thought that the Sabbats were to honor the Goddess, and the God. Beltaine is for the God, Isomblek(Not prononucning it right, but the one in Feb.) is to honor the Goddess, Samhain is to honor the God, and the other one, Lugohasa is to honor the Goddess. However, I'm not a Wiccan, and this is based off what my neopagan raising told me?  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:42 pm
Arcaniss Vivian
Although I also enjoy the moon, I don't see how the moon cycles are related at all to earth. The moon's cycle is completely separate from the earth's cycles to me. So could you please explain how you feel they're connected?  

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

GoddessAttuned

Mind-boggling Fatcat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:51 pm
I personally don't think it should be necessary to always celebrate the esbats and the lunar-cycle. But if you like and wish to, then go for it. I choose to out of my odd attraction to the moons cycles and its worship. I know not everyone celebrates it but, it surely shouldn't be done if it is only thought to be necessary and not because the practitioner chooses to.
I mean, where is the passion and happiness in celebrationg the moon-cycles if it is only considered manditory?
o.O
But thats just one pagans thought on it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:20 pm
Its all up to you, whatever you feel comfortable with =) Don't feel pressured to do something just because a magazine says you should.  

Raissa Firehawk

Familiar Gaian

Arcaniss Vivian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:15 pm
kage no neko
Arcaniss Vivian
Although I also enjoy the moon, I don't see how the moon cycles are related at all to earth. The moon's cycle is completely separate from the earth's cycles to me. So could you please explain how you feel they're connected?

Don't take my word as any type of "set in stone", but I consider the moon connected to Earth because the moon causes lunar changes that effect life on Earth whether we notice it or not. They're interrelated in the cycles of life in general. As I'm part of the cycle I choose to honor the Moon's effects on me. smile  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games