Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
How did you find your Patron? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:28 pm
Tenrai Kado
Violet Song jat Shariff
What do you mean exactly when you say you're a "person of light"?

You still might want to investigate more before you say he's your patron. It seems kind of like jumping to conclusions to say that just because you see Deity A in a meditation, s/he is automatically your patron. One of the Hellenic Pagans here on Gaia, IIRC, was pointed towards the Greek gods by Apollo, but has Dionysus as her "patron"-figure.

When I say person of light is that I practice in the name of good.
To enlighten others and myself and to help others.
That's what I mean by person of light.

"In the name of good"?

But your idea of "good" may differ drastically from my own. I might consider your work to be "dark", in that it could work against what I understood to be beneficial.

Interesting Fact! Apollo liked to kill people with his arrows. Yupyup. He was both a god related to medicine, and one who struck people down with illness.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:08 am
Another interesting fact!

Artemis was the goddess of childbirth, but her arrows brought death to mothers during said birth. If she was happy, then it was quick. >_>'

If it is Artemis knocking at my door, I'm a little scared. e.o  

Artistic Genocide

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:20 am
She is kinda scary. Awesome, though.

This one woman once said "I have most children ever! I am therefore better than Leto!" (or whoever) and Apollo and Artemis got so annoyed that they slaughtered her entire family with their arrows.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:11 pm
Sanguina Cruenta

This one woman once said "I have most children ever! I am therefore better than Leto!" (or whoever) and Apollo and Artemis got so annoyed that they slaughtered her entire family with their arrows.

Yeah, i read that.>_>'
I honestly think it's her, though. I just keep getting these feelings that it's her.
but at times, when i read some of her myths, it just doesn't fit me. She's a goddess of young girls, virgins, childbirth, and wilderness.
I guess i could be considered a young girl, and i love the wilderness, but the other two don't really match in all honesty. ._.'
I keep secretly hoping it's Athena though.>_>'  

Artistic Genocide

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:48 am
Artistic Genocide
Sanguina Cruenta

Yeah, i read that.>_>'
I honestly think it's her, though. I just keep getting these feelings that it's her.
but at times, when i read some of her myths, it just doesn't fit me. She's a goddess of young girls, virgins, childbirth, and wilderness.
I guess i could be considered a young girl, and i love the wilderness, but the other two don't really match in all honesty. ._.'

You don't have to be like a particular deity for them to have an important place in your life. Sometimes they might turn up to teach you about something that's important to them, to share it with you, and as such you wouldn't have that element as a part of your life to begin with.

It's not really all that helpful to reduce gods to their spheres of influence. Artemis is a patron of young women and girls, yes. She's a patron of childbirth. She's also a goddess of feminine power and strength, of athletic skill, of passion and hunting and animals. She is, herself, more than simply the things with which we associate her.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:58 am
It's been awhile since I've refreshed my knowledge of the Greek gods and goddesses, but if I remember currently, the helmet is a symbol of Athena. If that is what you saw her holding, maybe she's giving you a hint.

Aha, here it talks about the significance of her helmet in the first paragraph.
http://www.pantheon.org/articles/a/athena.html  

Katsumi Aki

Artistic Genocide

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:04 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
Artistic Genocide
Sanguina Cruenta

This one woman once said "I have most children ever! I am therefore better than Leto!" (or whoever) and Apollo and Artemis god so annoyed that they slaughtered her entire family with their arrows.

Yeah, i read that.>_>'

You don't have to be like a particular deity for them to have an important place in your life. Sometimes they might turn up to teach you about something that's important to them, to share it with you, and as such you wouldn't have that element as a part of your life to begin with.

It's not really all that helpful to reduce gods to their spheres of influence. Artemis is a patron of young women and girls, yes. She's a patron of childbirth. She's also a goddess of feminine power and strength, of athletic skill, of passion and hunting and animals. She is, herself, more than simply the things with which we associate her.

Ah, yes. ^_^'
my bad. I should know better then that. It's just a little new to me, is all. If it is her, I've never been approached like that by a specific god/dess before. It's just a little startling.-_-'  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:06 pm
Katsumi Aki
It's been awhile since I've refreshed my knowledge of the Greek gods and goddesses, but if I remember currently, the helmet is a symbol of Athena. If that is what you saw her holding, maybe she's giving you a hint.

Aha, here it talks about the significance of her helmet in the first paragraph.
http://www.pantheon.org/articles/a/athena.html

Thank you!
=3
I love the info, but i think it wasn't a helmet i saw, now that i think about it.  

Artistic Genocide

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:04 pm
i do not have a patron at this time, but isnt your patron supposed to find you, not the other way around? confused  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:10 pm
whiporwill-o
i do not have a patron at this time, but isnt your patron supposed to find you, not the other way around? confused

Pretty much.
From what I gather, at any rate.  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

Artistic Genocide

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:28 am
i just had an epiphany. O.o'

About a year ago, i was at the frio river. I was exploring along the line of the river, picking up odds and ends, and i tried to snap a branch off a fallen/dead tree. It didn't work so well and i ended up twisting my ankle a bit with a few cuts on top of it. Needless to say i had a hard time walking. i was about a mile or two from the others.

After a while of trying to get back to them, i gave up and sat on a log, and put my head in my hands. I was just gonna wait for my parents to realize i was missing, but it was starting to get a bit dark. After a few moments of crying, (yes, i cried.xD) i feel a bit of wind blow behind me. I turn my head and see a staff/cane of cypress leaning against a tree, where it wasn't before. It was just leaning there like someone had just put it there.

I reach behind me and grab it, and at the same time i hear something move from behind the trees. I look over and there's a rather large doe staring at me, but it looked and felt like more then staring. She looked like she was waiting for me to take the staff/cane. Like she wanted to help me. she had a certain kind of knowledge in her eyes. I felt like i had to thank her for leaving me the cypress. Which i did.

I took my eyes off her for a second when i went to stand up and i looked back over to her and she was gone. not like run-through-the-woods gone. like vanished gone. I made my way back to my family.

Now that i look back on that, and what has happened recently, i wonder if their connected?

The cypress tree is sacred to Artemis, as are deer.

opinions? advice? =3  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:37 am
Sounds like a good sign! Go with it wink

Artemis was historically honoured on the sixth day after the new moon*. Sounds like an appropriate time to do something, and gives you time to prepare ^_^ You could recite a Homeric Hymn or something. I'm sure there are some for her.

Homer (duh)
(ll. 1-20) I sing of Artemis, whose shafts are of gold, who cheers on the hounds, the pure maiden, shooter of stags, who delights in archery, own sister to Apollo with the golden sword. Over the shadowy hills and windy peaks she draws her golden bow, rejoicing in the chase, and sends out grievous shafts. The tops of the high mountains tremble and the tangled wood echoes awesomely with the outcry of beasts: earthquakes and the sea also where fishes shoal. But the goddess with a bold heart turns every way destroying the race of wild beasts: and when she is satisfied and has cheered her heart, this huntress who delights in arrows slackens her supple bow and goes to the great house of her dear brother Phoebus Apollo, to the rich land of Delphi, there to order the lovely dance of the Muses and Graces. There she hangs up her curved bow and her arrows, and heads and leads the dances, gracefully arrayed, while all they utter their heavenly voice, singing how neat-ankled Leto bare children supreme among the immortals both in thought and in deed.

(ll. 21-22) Hail to you, children of Zeus and rich-haired Leto! And now I will remember you and another song also.

*(If you're interested and you aren't already aware of this site, there's a helpful basic ritual form here under "solitary ritual". Also check out the dos and don'ts.)  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Artistic Genocide

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:22 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
Sounds like a good sign! Go with it wink

Artemis was historically honoured on the sixth day after the new moon*. Sounds like an appropriate time to do something, and gives you time to prepare ^_^ You could recite a Homeric Hymn or something. I'm sure there are some for her.

Homer (duh)
(ll. 1-20) I sing of Artemis, whose shafts are of gold, who cheers on the hounds, the pure maiden, shooter of stags, who delights in archery, own sister to Apollo with the golden sword. Over the shadowy hills and windy peaks she draws her golden bow, rejoicing in the chase, and sends out grievous shafts. The tops of the high mountains tremble and the tangled wood echoes awesomely with the outcry of beasts: earthquakes and the sea also where fishes shoal. But the goddess with a bold heart turns every way destroying the race of wild beasts: and when she is satisfied and has cheered her heart, this huntress who delights in arrows slackens her supple bow and goes to the great house of her dear brother Phoebus Apollo, to the rich land of Delphi, there to order the lovely dance of the Muses and Graces. There she hangs up her curved bow and her arrows, and heads and leads the dances, gracefully arrayed, while all they utter their heavenly voice, singing how neat-ankled Leto bare children supreme among the immortals both in thought and in deed.

(ll. 21-22) Hail to you, children of Zeus and rich-haired Leto! And now I will remember you and another song also.

*(If you're interested and you aren't already aware of this site, there's a helpful basic ritual form here under "solitary ritual". Also check out the dos and don'ts.)

thanks! =3 i actually didn't know that. >_>' I love new info.xD
also, where did you get homeric Hymn from? was it a book or website?
and i actually love that website.xD  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:10 am
You guys are so lucky. I wish someone would call out to me, and tell me they're really there. sad  

o sunflower king

Artistic Genocide

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:10 am
Taerinn
You guys are so lucky. I wish someone would call out to me, and tell me they're really there. sad

actually, i was the one that did the calling, technically. xD i basically sat down and said, "Okay, who wants me? which god/dess wants me?" while meditating. i got that shocking response in the first thread post.xD  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games