???
  yes
  no
View Results

Pom Graines

Familiar Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:00 pm
Sunegami
Personally, I see mermaids, centaurs, etc. as being human with animal traits; by that definition, they're not "anthro" to me.
I see it's all a matter of perspectives about if they're fish and horses with human tops or humans with horse and fish bottoms. I guess in the end they can go either way depending on how you look at it.

Though I still lean towards yes they are anthros as even Greek gods were said to be 'anthropomorphic' and they were essentially just big powerful humans to begin with really.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:35 pm
Mameoyashi
Sunegami
Personally, I see mermaids, centaurs, etc. as being human with animal traits; by that definition, they're not "anthro" to me.
I see it's all a matter of perspectives about if they're fish and horses with human tops or humans with horse and fish bottoms. I guess in the end they can go either way depending on how you look at it.

Though I still lean towards yes they are anthros as even Greek gods were said to be 'anthropomorphic' and they were essentially just big powerful humans to begin with really.

Indeed. Like I said, that's just my own opinion on the subject. X3

I think the reason deities can be considered anthropomorphic is that they have no corporeal form to begin with; it's all avatars and personifications and such.

. . . Reading back over that, I'm not sure I'm making sense anymore. X3

Sunegami

Playful Nerd

22,040 Points
  • Pizza Party Attendee 500
  • 1000 High Score 100
  • OTP 200

Selene Aries

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:26 pm
RyanJakobi
Of course Bugs Bunny is furry. He's got fur. blaugh

He is furry, but not a furry.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:37 pm
Sunegami
Pppth I do that all the time xd  

Cassidy Peterson

Garbage

Pom Graines

Familiar Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:41 pm
Sunegami
Mameoyashi
Sunegami

Indeed. Like I said, that's just my own opinion on the subject. X3

I think the reason deities can be considered anthropomorphic is that they have no corporeal form to begin with; it's all avatars and personifications and such.

Makes sense to me, no worries!

But on the same token centaurs and mermaids are inherently not human (even if they did really exist, they wouldn't be human but mermaids and centaurs), so placing upon them human attributes and such would still very technically be anthropomorphic XD

That's just being very nit picky more and I mention it more because the thought amused me and less to try to refute what you're saying.

I understand your point of view but I guess I just go with more the technical definition. But this isn't something that matters and is just a matter of agreeing to disagree X3  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:52 pm
damn this is all to confuseing gonk  

shishigashira

Gallant Knight

10,150 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Friendly 100
  • Forum Regular 100

Cassidy Peterson

Garbage

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:58 pm
redandblackgothclicheman
The general question, or all the technical talk? whee  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:07 pm
Cassidy Peterson
redandblackgothclicheman
The general question, or all the technical talk? whee

the technical talk -__- i'm not that smart  

shishigashira

Gallant Knight

10,150 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Friendly 100
  • Forum Regular 100

Selene Aries

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:12 pm
Mameoyashi

But on the same token centaurs and mermaids are inherently not human (even if they did really exist, they wouldn't be human but mermaids and centaurs), so placing upon them human attributes and such would still very technically be anthropomorphic XD

That's just being very nit picky more and I mention it more because the thought amused me and less to try to refute what you're saying.

I understand your point of view but I guess I just go with more the technical definition. But this isn't something that matters and is just a matter of agreeing to disagree X3

Not fully human, but they are partially. Part of them is distinctly human while another part is distinctly another animal. This isn't really want anthropomorphism pertains. They are definitely morphic, I will give you that, but we are not talking about taking something that was inherently not human and adding human features but more taking some human body parts and some body parts of another animal and combining them. As I said before, they are more easily classified as chimera.

No matter what we are still talking about fantasy creatures. *shrugs*  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:21 pm
Mameoyashi
Sunegami

Don't worry, I completely understand about nit-picking. X3 We can all be friends and still believe different things; besides, I really like hearing other ideas about subjects I'm interested in that I may not have considered myself. No hard feelings. ♥  

Sunegami

Playful Nerd

22,040 Points
  • Pizza Party Attendee 500
  • 1000 High Score 100
  • OTP 200

Demian Mizire

5,600 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:20 pm
I consider anthro-as animals with human qualities. mostly animal in my eyes. or up to half animal(bust a mostly animal face). even if not as traditional as the typical furry. werewolves are anthro-ancient eqyption gods.and some cartoons too  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:26 pm
Demean Mizire
I consider anthro-as animals with human qualities. mostly animal in my eyes. or up to half animal(bust a mostly animal face). even if not as traditional as the typical furry. werewolves are anthro-ancient eqyption gods.and some cartoons too

O_o werewolves where egpytion gods?  

shishigashira

Gallant Knight

10,150 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Friendly 100
  • Forum Regular 100

Jungle Boots

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:11 am
Anthropomorphism:

the attribution of human characteristics or behavior to a god, animal, or object.

anthropomorphism being the term from which anthro (in the furry art context) comes from, anthro the prefix and term is actually latin for human, such as in anthropology, the study of humans.

doesn't define exactly the ratio of physical human characteristics to animal, it also doesn't define how the characteristics are blended.

now im sure you mean anthro as in modern furry art/fantasy representation and not the word for word definition. and even in that case i dont think one can limit the artist/writer's art by saying the eyes have to animalistic, the face has to be animalistic, ect. otherwise it it is cast out of this class of art.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:17 pm
Jungle Boots
Anthropomorphism:

the attribution of human characteristics or behavior to a god, animal, or object.

anthropomorphism being the term from which anthro (in the furry art context) comes from, anthro the prefix and term is actually latin for human, such as in anthropology, the study of humans.

doesn't define exactly the ratio of physical human characteristics to animal, it also doesn't define how the characteristics are blended.

now im sure you mean anthro as in modern furry art/fantasy representation and not the word for word definition. and even in that case i dont think one can limit the artist/writer's art by saying the eyes have to animalistic, the face has to be animalistic, ect. otherwise it it is cast out of this class of art.

O_o well then...idk  

shishigashira

Gallant Knight

10,150 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Friendly 100
  • Forum Regular 100

Jungle Boots

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:03 pm
voiceless_fox
Jungle Boots
Anthropomorphism:

O_o well then...idk

im satisfied with the term anthro art/fantasy representation as referring to anything ANYTHING involving a hybrid of the human speciese with that of an animal, even if that animal is fantastical or real.

thus including fawns sphynx minotaurs and centaurs  
Adult Furries Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces