Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Reading Room~* (discussions on books/authors)
Recommended Reading Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MidnightLetter
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:49 pm
If you have a book or author you think should be added to the list, feel free to post here and let us know.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:38 am
I highly recommend Carl Neal's "The Magic Toolbox". It's great for beginners and getting-onto-intermediates wanting a better look at magical or ritual tools.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Arcaniss Vivian

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:45 pm
I want to suggest the following general books from one of my "most viewed" shelves: The Crystal Bible by Judy Hall, The Spells Bible by Ann-Marie Gallagher, The Astrology Bible by Judy Hall, The Book of Runes by Ralph H. Blum, The History of Magic by Franjo Terhart, and Celtic Myth and Magick by Edain McCoy. I have'nt read the last one, but it looks like a good fictional read. : )  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:54 pm
Unfortunately Blum and McCoy are ones to stay far away from.

I'll let San or Vi speak on Blum's shortcomings, since that is more their area of expertise, but check out stopedainmccoy.com for the basics of why she is not a good choice (particularly anything "celtic" she writes).  

ncsweet
Crew

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:22 pm
Arcaniss Vivian
The Book of Runes by Ralph H. Blum

If you want to read a culture-raping, Christianised insult to the gods, sure. Just don't claim it contains anything accurate. Or Hel, Runic. Or Norse.

BURN IT.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:46 am
Wicca for Beginners by Thea Sabin was a good book for basics, I believe.  

SADERR

Daearen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:52 am
Sanguina Cruenta
Arcaniss Vivian

If you want to read a culture-raping, Christianised insult to the gods, sure. Just don't claim it contains anything accurate. Or Hel, Runic. Or Norse.

BURN IT.

I would burn my copy but it would smell awful! >_<  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:21 am
Does anyone have any recommendations for someone who is just reading up on the religion who might convert?  

AnetteTepes

ncsweet
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:37 am
There is a whole list on the first page of recommended books. Besides reading Gerald Gardner's books, I'd personally recommend Wicca: The Old Religion in the New Millennnium by Vivianne Crowley, Circle of Fire by Sorita D'Este & David Rankine and Elements of Ritual by Deborah Lipp. For a historical prospective on Witchcraft and Wicca, Ronald Hutton's Triumph of the Moon is a good one to read as well.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:56 am
Thanks! I'll look into them.  

AnetteTepes

Lamia Moonrose

6,350 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:15 am

Christopher Penczack's The Witch's Shield: Protection Magick and Psychic Self-Defense was pretty good and comes with some nice meditations on a CD.

For the Faery List:
Ted Andrews: Enchantment of the Faery Realm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:59 pm
Lamia Moonrose
For the Faery List:
Ted Andrews: Enchantment of the Faery Realm

I've heard some reeeeally bad reviews for this one so take it with a salt mine.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Arcaniss Vivian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:15 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
Arcaniss Vivian

BURN IT.

Burning books is against my faith. Thanks for putting down my opinions, I love you too. <3 <3 <3 smile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:23 pm
Arcaniss Vivian
Sanguina Cruenta
Arcaniss Vivian

BURN IT.

Burning books is against my faith. Thanks for putting down my opinions, I love you too. <3 <3 <3 smile

She's not really putting down your opinions, it just unfortunate that Blum is one of the worst authors out there on the subject of Runes. Blum has done to Runes, more or less what Ravenwolf has done to Wicca. The average person, wouldn't necessarily know that though, if that is one of the only books they've ever read on the subject. It's the same with books on "Wicca", unless someone points you in the right direction, there are literally 100's of books that will offer up misinformation and one could read them for years and never know it.  

ncsweet
Crew

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:43 pm
Arcaniss Vivian
Sanguina Cruenta
Arcaniss Vivian

BURN IT.

Ralph Blum's piece of crap is an insult to my faith. It spreads misinformation about it, it outright lies about it, it takes one of the most sacred elements of my faith and teaches people to abuse and rape it.

Thanks for advocating the rape and abuse of a sacred tool given to us by Most High. I love you too.

Seriously, though. Your opinion is wrong. Opinions can be wrong, and in this case yours is very wrong. The book is a terrible one. He even puts the runes in the WRONG ORDER which is not only insulting, it misses an important point about the order they already have. He says Ansuz is Loki's rune. Reading that book makes me physically ill and very, very angry.

If you're not going to burn it, at least discard it in a way that means it is never, ever read again.  
*~Reading Room~* (discussions on books/authors)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games