Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Animal Lovers Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for all animal lovers and pet owners 

Tags: animal lovers, pets, animals, cats birds dogs fish reptile, official animal lovers guild 

Reply Main Forum
7 Things You Didn't Know About PETA Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sarahmooo
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:15 am
Foofy_Miru
Another tidbit about PETA: They want to eliminate all captive animal keeping. All of it. No dogs, no cats, no cows, no horses, no reptiles, no fish, no hamsters... Yeah. Ew.

They're also one of the main driving forces (alongside the Humane Society of the United States) behind the "Python bans"... AKA, the bans that aim to forbid captive keeping, breeding, etc of all Pythons (including, but not limited to, ball pythons, green tree pythons, and Burmese pythons) as well as the larger boas (Boa Constrictor, including the commonly kept Colombian "red tails" [B.C.Imperator] and much prettier "true" red tails [B.C.Constrictor]). That's just for now... Both HSUS and PETA would love to eliminate the reptile trade, right down to every last innocent little corn snake and gecko. =(

Ugh. PETA and HSUS give me nightmares.

I knew about the captive animal keeping, but not about the pythons.
That's retarded.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:38 pm
i was reading peta's FAQ and i was amazed to see they dont have one of the all time most frequently asked question "why are you so crazy?"

also "Most snakes are carnivorous." what snakes arent?  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Foofy_Miru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:49 pm
Shanna66
i was reading peta's FAQ and i was amazed to see they dont have one of the all time most frequently asked question "why are you so crazy?"

Crazy? Who said they were crazy..? wink

I'm pretty sure "carnivorous" and "insectivorous" are considered different (though you could argue that insects are made of meat). Rough and Smooth Green Snakes are both insectivorous species, as are blind snakes, ringneck snakes, and similar tiny, burrowing species. Garters are kind of in-between... The young ones will feed primarily on fish and earthworms, but do eventually get big enough to feed on regular mice (whether they will take said mice is another question altogether). So, on that point, PETA actually managed to get something slightly correct.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:01 am
Foofy_Miru
Shanna66

Crazy? Who said they were crazy..? wink

I'm pretty sure "carnivorous" and "insectivorous" are considered different (though you could argue that insects are made of meat). Rough and Smooth Green Snakes are both insectivorous species, as are blind snakes, ringneck snakes, and similar tiny, burrowing species. Garters are kind of in-between... The young ones will feed primarily on fish and earthworms, but do eventually get big enough to feed on regular mice (whether they will take said mice is another question altogether). So, on that point, PETA actually managed to get something slightly correct.

Oh.. my.. GOD.
-heart attack-
I can't believe they got something even remotely correct.

Sarahmooo
Captain

Foofy_Miru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:49 pm
Skittleo

Oh.. my.. GOD.
-heart attack-
I can't believe they got something even remotely correct.

I KNOW. It's crazy! I think the world may be coming to an end. o.o  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:40 pm
i still consider bugs as animals and thus have meat. unless its eating a plant then its a meat eating animal to me xp  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Foofy_Miru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:28 pm
Shanna66
i still consider bugs as animals and thus have meat. unless its eating a plant then its a meat eating animal to me xp

I think there's enough of a difference between bugs and animals for "Insectivorous" and "Carnivorous" to be two different things. A carnivorous snake cannot handle the exoskeleton on the average bug, for example, and I bet they can't digest soft-bodied grub quite right, either. An insectivorous lizard will get horribly fat if you feed them mice in place of insects, though I don't think the difference from insect to animal is quite as different as that from animal to insect. Even though bugs are most certainly meat, there are significant enough differences... If that makes sense. =P  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:54 pm
Foofy_Miru
Shanna66

I think there's enough of a difference between bugs and animals for "Insectivorous" and "Carnivorous" to be two different things. A carnivorous snake cannot handle the exoskeleton on the average bug, for example, and I bet they can't digest soft-bodied grub quite right, either. An insectivorous lizard will get horribly fat if you feed them mice in place of insects, though I don't think the difference from insect to animal is quite as different as that from animal to insect. Even though bugs are most certainly meat, there are significant enough differences... If that makes sense. =P

true. i should use ther 2 different terms more often. i always have to explain to people why feeding pinkies to leopard geckos is a bad thing. just because it can fit in its mouth does not mean it can be digested well  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Foofy_Miru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:58 pm
Is there more wrong with feeding pinkies to leopard geckos than the nutritional content? I know they have too much fat for the average insectivore, and I'd guess there are other significant nutritional differences, but that's all I know of. xP  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:30 am
its a bit more difficult for them to digest. their systems are made to digest bug meat and fat, mammal meat and fat is very different. but some people just really want to see their pet eat a mammal. i always tell them that if they wanted a pet that would eat mice they should have gotten a snake or larger lizard  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Foofy_Miru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:17 pm
Ah... Good to know. =)  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:48 pm
ive heard rumors about another python ban, any word on anything?  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Foofy_Miru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:32 pm
S-373? That's the only one I know of right now... It's passed through Committee, so now, I guess, it needs to be voted on by the full Senate and House of Representatives before it can get to the President. Here's a post by USARK on iHerp about what can be done about it... http://www.iherp.com/Public/Blog/Detail.aspx?UID=35585  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:08 pm
Bah.
I bet they don't have one decent reason for wanting to ban pythons.

Sarahmooo
Captain

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:33 am
Skittleo
Bah.
I bet they don't have one decent reason for wanting to ban pythons.

well they kind of do. stupid owners that give the rest of us a bad name and dont properly take care of their animals.

if it wasnt for the idiots who put their large snakes around their neck and who set their reptiles loose into the wild then no one would be calling for these stupid bans  
Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff