Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
?what's up with people typing like thiS Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ebania

Sarcastic Prophet

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:33 pm
Mav_X
Hm, good question. Maybe it's because they're all hoi polloi zombies and do it because their friends do it and they think it will make them seem like "one of the group". It's all a part of popular culture conformation.

Possibly. I was chatting with a friend a few weeks ago on MSN...

Me: Megan, why can't you just spell out "best friend forever", "got to go", "be back later", et cetera?
Megan: cuz its the kool way 2 spell it

So yeah. Damn them and their trends. stare I'd rather be a literate nerd than a retarded teenager any day. Well, I'm a teenager. But I am sure as hell not retarded. talk2hand

Quote:
I don't make fun of people that are born mentally retarded. I make fun of people that are born JUST FINE... And are TODAY... mentally... retarded."

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:09 am
Ebony the Peacian Vampire
Mav_X
Hm, good question. Maybe it's because they're all hoi polloi zombies and do it because their friends do it and they think it will make them seem like "one of the group". It's all a part of popular culture conformation.

Possibly. I was chatting with a friend a few weeks ago on MSN...

Me: Megan, why can't you just spell out "best friend forever", "got to go", "be back later", et cetera?
Megan: cuz its the kool way 2 spell it

So yeah. Damn them and their trends. stare I'd rather be a literate nerd than a retarded teenager any day. Well, I'm a teenager. But I am sure as hell not retarded. talk2hand

Quote:
I don't make fun of people that are born mentally retarded. I make fun of people that are born JUST FINE... And are TODAY... mentally... retarded."
That's a very good view. I don't understand, it's like cigarette smoking. ?? Just because smoking looks cool? You see, text talking is to do with the forward quote above as is cigarette smoking. People choose to be retards.  

Zealot of Insanity

Mizufusion

Newbie Noob

10,100 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:27 pm
Hey, I like smoking. Just because some people do it to look cool doesn't mean everyone does. neutral

The same goes for chatspeak, slang, stickycaps, leet, or other things like that. Yes, most people type like that because it's cool, but some do it because it's faster, or they don't know any better. Yes, some people do it without knowing it's "wrong". There are many people who learn English by talking in chat rooms, instant messaging, and posting on forums. They see the atrocities some people call "English" and actually think it is.

There really isn't any good excuse for the people that know better, though.. I used to use a lot of shorthand and abbreviations before I realized it looked totally retarded. sweatdrop

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:48 am
bcuz it makes j00 look kewlioz!!!

Anyone seen wolfspeak? It's even worse.

Alyykiala's amber orbs glazed over in pain and lonlyness, she let out a long howl. She was in hett but nobody wanted the forgotten fea's black, crimson heart. Alyykiala howled again because it was cold outside, like the night her entire pack had been shot in a fire. Icy tears streamed down her face at the thought of that horrid night.  

Ambrey

[.Cold.As.Ice.]

2,700 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:44 am
Maybe they just.. Think that they're being cool by acting all moronic, just like people do in groups. It's an instinct. Psychologically, people in groups I.E. Gangs, would do things with their gang, that they wouldn't do when they're alone. rolleyes

EDIT: Almost forgot to mention - I heard it's called "Gang instinct." Some name for a psychological.. thing? o_o;  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:07 am
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers. sweatdrop

Wolfspeak? I've never heard of it.  

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

Secretly Bob

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:29 am
Yaw thgir eht ti od ot thguo yeht sdrawkcab, epyt ot tnaw elpoep fi dog, raed.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:53 pm
I laugh when someone types out the word 'one' at the end of a string of exclamation points. Usually they do it to make fun of leet speak. (Can anyone tell me what leet is/where the word leet came from?) It takes great effort on my part, but I start talking in Latin if I get a person in my tavern like that. I rate my place as mildly litterate, and it is just insulting that I get that crap in there.  

SofiaDragon

Interesting Citizen

6,650 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Conversationalist 100

Zealot of Insanity

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:06 am
Secretly Bob
Yaw thgir eht ti od ot thguo yeht sdrawkcab, epyt ot tnaw elpoep fi dog, raed.
Oh, my... that is a complete atrocity to literacy. I can't stand people that write that out.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:07 am
Shinobi 1977
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers. sweatdrop

Wolfspeak? I've never heard of it.
*Rumor* Stupidity is contagious? sweatdrop  

Zealot of Insanity

Abel8658

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:46 am
leet is supposedly a gamer language created out of numbers and other normally unused buttons on the keyboard.
like: ! )-(473 J00
completly useless and it takes forver to type.
unless...you type like that all the time then it becomes just as easy as typing normally on the keyboard.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:34 pm
Maybe they are Arabic!

evil !thgir ti od tsael ta nac yeht ,sdrawkcab klat ot gniog era yeht fI  

Lord Thatlatu of the Tofu

Zealot of Insanity

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:12 am
Nice one, Lord Thatlatu.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:48 am
G2G and BRB I can understand, mainly because you might have to leave in a hurry and it's much quicker. I have the time to write out got to go, but I sometimes use BRB.

And as for leet (or 1337); it's short for elite, and is used, supposedly, by hackers and the like. Computer people.
I know leet because I pick things up quickly.

I've seen backwards typing used as a tool in literature, but as has been said, it must be done correctly. Fully backwards, not just I'm-trying-to-write-like-a-Spanish-person-and-failing typing.

Ithaya

Jagdpanzer!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:56 am
At least it's not as bad as Captializing Every Word In The Goddamn Sentence, or AlTeRnAtInG bEtWeEn CaPiTaLs AnD lOwErCaSe.
Posts like that really get my goat, so to speak.

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff