Reply Pro-Choice Gaians
How Do We Deal With This? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

_Morgane Fay_

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 2:28 am
Just adding my thoughts to this one since it came up among some friends of mine the other day. Now I should preface that none of them is anti-choice in the sense that they would see the right to abortion taken away entirely *and* that the majority of them are well-versed in fetal development (med school), but some of them haven't truly examined the social/political angle of the issue and still feel somewhat attracted to the more emotionally charged lifer arguments and favour "restriction", whatever that means.

What I did -and what I think works for moderate people whom you don't wish to alienate- is to keep reminding them that all those arguments are fine & dandy when applied to themselves only. That way you get to acknowledge their squicked-out-ness, you don't need to invalidate their heartfelt doubts (and possible belief that fetii are "babies"), but you steer the debate away from political waters. It becomes more about the personal and less about the political. In this particular case, it worked.

'Course I will be making a point of subtly introducing fascinating topics like bodily autonomy, access to adequate medical care vs. education and affluence, religious spins & rhetoric and the social burden of pregnancy in the future.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:57 pm
I've gotten into quite a few debates with a formerly adamantly pro-life friend. But feminism and life experience have corrupted her, so she's fully on our side now. wink  

The Last Mizzy

Pro-Choice Gaians

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces