Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Rituals for drawing blood? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

OMG Poll?
  poll whore..
View Results

Daearen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:15 pm
Violet Song jat Shariff
lCobaltl
Violet Song jat Shariff
Sanguina Cruenta
I personally would want more than a pinprick because of the spiritual significance of runes to me - and Hel, the spiritual significance of blood to me.

Same.
I would make the pain an offering to Odinn. He hung on the World Tree for 9 days without drink or food to learn the runes, so hurting a bit for some blood is really the least I can do.

ETA:
OP, are you using just blood for all of your blooding, or are you just going to use a little bit of blood mixed with some red ochre?

I've read that you could mix it with acrylic paint or powdered water colors but I didn't find it appealing.
I've read that you could mix it with acrylic paint for powdered water colors but it didn't seam appealing to me. But I might look into this red ochre.
I'm still far from the process of blooding my rune set. I still have much meditating to do. But I have clay that I really want to make a set out of.

Personally, that's the way I'm going to do mine when I blood my runes. It'll probably show up more brightly too anyways and the red won't look so faded so quickly.

I've heard some people put like a clear wood finish on their runes after they've blooded them, but I don't know how I feel about that >.>

There are some natural oils you could use as a finish. So they wont be ruined by water and wont warp. I think using a non-organic finish could block some of the runes energies.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:16 pm
lCobaltl
@ Sanguina - I've never thought much about making runes from bone. Is there a certain type of bone that should be used?

Not as far as I know. Traditionally they would have been made of wood if anything. I'd say cow bone would be a good bet, and one of the easier ones to get. I've seen camel ones, but I'd rather get ones made from the bone of an animal the Norse would have actually had contact with wink

Personally I'd warn against using wolf bone. Someone mentioned that they wanted to use raven once, which seems like a supremely bad idea to me.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Daearen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:16 pm
ncsweet

Personally, I think I'd want to be able to feel the natural material without the shiny coating.

3nodding  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:21 pm
An important thing to note is that the rune's energies aren't contained within the runestone/stave in and of itself. You tie those energies into the material when you make and blood the runestave, so they're a part of it, but they're not solely in that runestave.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Arcaniss Vivian

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:36 pm
ncsweet
Violet Song jat Shariff
I've heard some people put like a clear wood finish on their runes after they've blooded them, but I don't know how I feel about that >.>

I was just wondering about that. While on the surface (no pun intended xd ) it seems like a logical step, I can sort of see it completely defecting the purpose of blooding, because it seems that you are trapping the power of the Rune beneath a shield of sorts. On the other hand, it could also be a way of sealing the connection.

Personally, I think I'd want to be able to feel the natural material without the shiny coating.

I agree. Once you've blooded them the connection does'nt fade even if the color does. It's the connection that you have by keeping your runes safe and near you that keeps the connection strong. v.v I feel absolutely horrible about this and I think that some of you guys should really chastise me for this but....I never even got a chance to blood connect to my first rune set. My mother bought it for me...they were stone...but...I was attuning them to me and carrying them everywhere when...my backpack was stolen on the way to Florida...now my runes are gone from me forever. Feel free to scream at me for being irresponsible. T.T I did'nt take care of them, they must feel so abandoned! If I ever get another set of runes I'm tying them to my arm for three days to attune and then I'll never loose them. As for the blooding, I suggest using a knife, but not an athame. Personal opinion that. I would want more than a pinprick...plus needles freak me out. I would have to use a knife and then I would probably still freak out and end up getting a lot more blood than intended..... Just be careful. Blooding is important, but safety is too you know?  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:33 pm
i have a set of runes made of quartz, how would that work with blooding? quartz would not soak up the blood in the way that wood, bone or clay would, or does that make any difference?  

whiporwill-o

GoddessAttuned

Mind-boggling Fatcat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:52 pm
I suppose we all have are own views.
But, I could never ever draw blood for a spell. Ugh.
No way.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:08 pm
iHecate
I suppose we all have are own views.
But, I could never ever draw blood for a spell. Ugh.
No way.

would you ever consider using menstral blood? i never would just because i find it discusting, personally, but i'm sure there are many [women] that prefer that method as oppsed to poking, proding or hacking away at themselves.  

whiporwill-o

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:35 pm
whiporwill-o
i have a set of runes made of quartz, how would that work with blooding? quartz would not soak up the blood in the way that wood, bone or clay would, or does that make any difference?

I wouldn't think so. I think it's the blooding itself that's the important part rather than the colour or anything... but then historically they may have used stones but not quartz.

Who knows, eh? I suppose it has something to do with how you think the blood works and the reason for its import.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:42 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
whiporwill-o

I wouldn't think so. I think it's the blooding itself that's the important part rather than the colour or anything... but then historically they may have used stones but not quartz.

Who knows, eh? I suppose it has something to do with how you think the blood works and the reason for its import.

i had never actually intended on blooding my runes, i was not aware that it was proper to do so, but the reason i chose quartz is because of it's ability to absorb energy and wanted to infuse myself with them that way, or at least that was my thinking.  

whiporwill-o

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:27 am
Sanguina Cruenta
lCobaltl
@ Sanguina - I've never thought much about making runes from bone. Is there a certain type of bone that should be used?

Not as far as I know. Traditionally they would have been made of wood if anything. I'd say cow bone would be a good bet, and one of the easier ones to get. I've seen camel ones, but I'd rather get ones made from the bone of an animal the Norse would have actually had contact with wink

Personally I'd warn against using wolf bone. Someone mentioned that they wanted to use raven once, which seems like a supremely bad idea to me.

What do you think about using goat bone? I thought they were a farily important livestock animal to the Norse.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:37 pm
Shearaha
Sanguina Cruenta
lCobaltl

What do you think about using goat bone? I thought they were a farily important livestock animal to the Norse.

A sticky one. On the one hand you'd want to use every part of a livestock animal if possible; waste is silly. On the other hand, two goats pull Thor's cart/chariot thing and he always said you could eat all of their flesh but don't break their bones.

Personally I'd fall on the side of respecting that for Thor, even if he wouldn't mind in this sort of situation.... and even though he says it specifically of his goats.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:02 am
Sanguina Cruenta
Shearaha
Sanguina Cruenta
lCobaltl

A sticky one. On the one hand you'd want to use every part of a livestock animal if possible; waste is silly. On the other hand, two goats pull Thor's cart/chariot thing and he always said you could eat all of their flesh but don't break their bones.

Personally I'd fall on the side of respecting that for Thor, even if he wouldn't mind in this sort of situation.... and even though he says it specifically of his goats.

Ok. I was curious mainly because I used to raise goats. I have one remaining and was wanting to keep part of her around, in more then pictures. I've been toying with the idea of making a set of runes and when the use of bone came up here it struk me as something I might do when she passes.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:36 am
lCobaltl
I don't think i would need more than say.. a tablespoon?(thats just being genrous I dont think i'll actually need that much).. But there isnt any sort of ritual just for drawing the blood in any of my books. Just empowering them. It says just to pin it with a needle but I guess i wanted something more formal.

this web page explaines the ritual that goes into it:

http://www.sunnyway.com/runes/runeset.html  

surukio

Danny Cheltyka

Invisible Ladykiller

7,650 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:33 pm
If one day I find it important to me to draw blood then perhaps I will. For now though, it probably won't be happening. My friend once suggested using the the blade off a portable pencil sharpener. eek  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games