What Arts & Sciences do you do? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What do YOU do in the SCA?
  Stick Jock: I just like to fight.
  Fight, make weapons, make armor.
  Animals: Equestrian, coursing hounds, husbandry.
  Mostly arts.
  Mostly sciences.
  I just like to camp and play dress-up.
  I do it all, sirrah!
  Um... We were to understand there would be punch and pie. (GOLD!)
View Results

Out to the Black

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 10:48 pm
Have you tried asking if you can just participate in the adult AOS activities?  
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:00 pm
I've posted new photos of my A&S efforts (pottery). Whenever there's a set of feast gear (not just a random bowl or plate or casserole dish), that set is part of my A&S 50 Challenge, where I'm doing the Depth Challenge (do one thing, 50 times, in the effort to get really stinkin' GREAT at that one thing).  

Divash

Eloquent Conversationalist

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Runa Whynd

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:58 pm
I did my first real scribal assignments this month. First I did a couple of invitations to my Shire's big event for some Barons. Next I got actual award assignments. I did two Willows for Crown Tourney. I'll post pictures of the first two soon but I can't post the Willows yet, since I don't think they've both been recieved yet.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:32 am
Runa, you must be so proud! When you can, I'd really love to see pictures of what you've done. They'll inspire me to get busy with the scribing. I keep promising myself that some Thursday I'll make sure that I have the energy to go out to the Rokkhealden Scriptorium, but so far I've been too exhausted (for several months running, yes).  

Divash

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Runa Whynd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:37 pm
Here are the invites then. Sorry they're so big. There's just a lot of detail in them. Also, my calligraphy sucks. Bleh.
User Image

User Image  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:18 pm
Hey, I can't do any calligraphy. Those are awesome.  

Out to the Black

Anghared Starwing

Generous Shapeshifter

6,000 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Nerd 50
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:00 pm
I do some illumination, wood work, embroidery, leatherwork, beaded jewelry, and hand sewing for garb.

I'm pretty proud of having hand sewn ALL of my garb, including a rust linen bliaut with two months of embroidery on the sleeves. I need to take pictures of it, since all my 'in progress' photos were destroyed when my phone died.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:09 am
Runa, you do good work! Did you "only" scribe these, or did you also do the illumination? I think you said that you did both, yes?

Anghared, you should definitely be proud of sewing all your garb. I actually bought a sewing machine, have had three friends try to teach me, and I've still never come up with anything usable yet. I solved the main problem (no garb) by trading my pottery for garb, but the secondary problem (no ability to sew) isn't going away yet.  

Divash

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Out to the Black

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:23 am
I can do some woodcarving and such. I wish I had the patience for hand sewing.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:29 am
Divash, I did the illumination as well as the scribing. I'll also be posting one of the Willows soon, since I know she recieved it.  

Runa Whynd

Anghared Starwing

Generous Shapeshifter

6,000 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Nerd 50
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:27 am
Divash
Runa, you do good work! Did you "only" scribe these, or did you also do the illumination? I think you said that you did both, yes?

Anghared, you should definitely be proud of sewing all your garb. I actually bought a sewing machine, have had three friends try to teach me, and I've still never come up with anything usable yet. I solved the main problem (no garb) by trading my pottery for garb, but the secondary problem (no ability to sew) isn't going away yet.

Don't feel bad, I've never gotten the hang of using a sewing machine. Every time I've had to use one, the darned thing ends up broken. Fortunately, my mother taught me to hand sew when I was eight.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:50 pm
I feel guilty about having bought a sewing machine and not being able to make use of it, more than I feel bad about simply not being able to sew. I'd feel better if I'd simply started out by making pottery and food for people in exchange for garb, instead of spending money on a machine that I still can't use nine months later.

But at least the pottery thing is working out. I've gotten myself and my DH a beautiful pair of matching outfits, and him another outfit. I'm next to get garb out of this. I was smart about it, I do feel: when Akim saw the benefit to himself of this arrangement of trading work for work, he immediately said i should keep doing it, which means that now I can also get some more things for myself. Yay!  

Divash

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Runa Whynd

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:00 pm
This Willow was awarded for reasearch and rearing of period silkworms and moths. Hence, all the worms and moths. Also the colors a little off, The Bluish color should be more purple and everything else should be brighter.

User Image  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:06 am
I do embroidery, weaving, spinning, knitting, and other fiber arts for the most part.

Here's a picture of a piece of the Bayeux Tapestry that I replicated last year.

User Image  

TN_Lark

200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100

(((rasberry~kimiko)))

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:16 am
I work in the kitchens a lot and I drum, and other than fight those are the things I do steadily. I've just started to do kumihimo, and intend to continue on with it. I've dabbled in spinning (I think it's as close as you can get to magic, but I'm really very bad at it. I love to watch people spin), I've done minimal amounts of story telling, but it's something I do mundanely and would like to do more in the SCA....similar story with illumination, although I think I will do that very much down the line. I do carving and leather work when I can, but have enough leather now to really start to practice. At some point I'd like to have the opportunity to do metal work.

I am sadly and dramatically deficient in the skills it takes to do anything but hand sew, but I am blessed with family talented in the making of garb, and kept well clothed. In exchange, I try my best to be a good pack mule xd

SCA Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff