Reply ~ Main Forum ~
The Questioning of Goth Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rainbow Shrapnel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:37 am
Some of the most unhappy people I know I the ones that have "normal" friends, and listen to upbeat music, and wear bright colors.
It's all one big a** lie to hide their pain.

Yes, surrounding yourself with depressing s**t won't help, but if that shrink honestly wants to blame your taste in fashion, get a new shrink. I don't care if they have the credentials, no amount of college can fix bigotry and sheer stupidity.

I had one psychiatrist spend every session telling me that God loves me and I should look to him whenever I had problems. Yes, this woman was supposed to be religion neutral. Yes, she would have lost her job if I'd gone to her superiors.

Ever heard of the Milgram Experiment?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:31 am
BinxDahlia

Ever heard of the Milgram Experiment?

Just googled it...really interresting. Personal moral Vs authority. Kinda scary...

But i dont see how that has anything to do with this? The profesional is not an authority.

Anyway, i wont claim to be an expert on mental health, but i do doubt that your taste in music and close, is the source of your problems. Sure, if you allready suffer from a mental illnes, sorrounding yourself with "gothic" stuff, or taking it too seriously, could MAYBE make it worse. But thats probely something that differs from person to person.  

doom1000

2,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Window Shopper 100

kittermeow

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:16 pm
First, I would like to point out that that psycho knows nothing of "Goth".

Being Goth doesn't mean you have to always be quite and listen to Death Metal. There are many types of Goth. That's what separates us from "Emo". We have our own personalities, while they whine about their search of who they are in life.

Second, U2? Your not fifty years old. I say you should try listening to something less hardcore. Perhaps 3OH!3 or the Medic Droid. maybe. H.I.M is cool- he sings Love Metal. Which is soothing I guess, but not to the point where the pulse is slower than an elderly woman's.

No one ever said that you can't wear a little bit of color either. There's red, purple, green. They're sort of like the highlight colors.

I guess what that psycho is trying to say is maybe that you should try toning it down.

And he probably will offer you anti-depressants. Say no, no matter what.
They're addicting, have too many bad side effects and work for less than fifty percent of the people who try them. Ever seen the anti depressant commercial? They list at least 25 bad side effects. The offer them purposely for money. D:

(Remember, America loves you.)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:21 pm
I agree with what was said above.... just making note of that.  

Angel of the End

Xahmen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:42 am
xi-Rose-ix

They're addicting, have too many bad side effects and work for less than fifty percent of the people who try them. Ever seen the anti depressant commercial? They list at least 25 bad side effects. The offer them purposely for money. D:

I see we have a Scientologist in the house.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:56 pm
That Shrink Is Wrong! Take my friends and I for an example, we were warped before we went goth. Now we're just more comfortable in black. We listened to weird music before and during gothic fashion. This shrink is totally messed up! I think the only way it could be influencing you is if you take it too seriously.  

Official Gothic Chick

Death of Cool

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:36 pm
xi-Rose-ix

And you know nothing of psychology. I'd say the shrink was just a tiny bit more qualified.

xi-Rose-ix
Being Goth doesn't mean you have to always be quite and listen to Death Metal. There are many types of Goth. That's what separates us from "Emo". We have our own personalities, while they whine about their search of who they are in life.

Death metal and emo have absolutely nothing to do with goth whatsoever. I'd say it's a safe bet that you know nothing about goth OR emo.

xi-Rose-ix
Second, U2? Your not fifty years old. I say you should try listening to something less hardcore. Perhaps 3OH!3 or the Medic Droid. maybe. H.I.M is cool- he sings Love Metal. Which is soothing I guess, but not to the point where the pulse is slower than an elderly woman's.

Lots of people listen to U2, not just people who are 50.
Why on earth would you recommend he listen to some of the crappiest, most horrible music ever recorded? Scene f** crap is not going to help anyone.

xi-Rose-ix

Anti-depressants have helped a lot of people. Yeah, maybe they're a little overprescribed at times, but who the ******** do you think you are to tell someone not to take them no matter what?  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:59 pm
Death of Cool
xi-Rose-ix

And you know nothing of psychology. I'd say the shrink was just a tiny bit more qualified.

xi-Rose-ix

Death metal and emo have absolutely nothing to do with goth whatsoever. I'd say it's a safe bet that you know nothing about goth OR emo.

xi-Rose-ix

Lots of people listen to U2, not just people who are 50.
Why on earth would you recommend he listen to some of the crappiest, most horrible music ever recorded? Scene f** crap is not going to help anyone.

xi-Rose-ix

Anti-depressants have helped a lot of people. Yeah, maybe they're a little overprescribed at times, but who the ******** do you think you are to tell someone not to take them no matter what?

Why you gotta hate on me? I'm a person despite the X in my user. D;
Dude, I've been through school counseling, wich eventually turned to therapy.
First, I was accused of drugs for my grades, then they made my life more miserable. They got my mom to believe that I was a druggie and dressed like a prostitute. There was nothing showy about my outfits, and I had no ******** access to drugs.
I've had bad history with therapy in other words.

I stated my opinions on everything. And the anti-depressants have Xanax in them. That's bad for you. They can kill/damage brain cells. It doesn't help that they become addicting.
Anyway, how about we not fight about this? We've both had a fair share of experience.

Btw, there's more than one type of Goth.  

kittermeow

Death of Cool

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:11 pm
xi-Rose-ix

I'm not "hating" on you, I'm hating on the dumb s**t you said. Being through counseling doesn't make you an expert.

xi-Rose-ix
First, I was accused of drugs for my grades, then they made my life more miserable. They got my mom to believe that I was a druggie and dressed like a prostitute. There was nothing showy about my outfits, and I had no ******** access to drugs.

Your bad experience doesn't negate the validity of the entire field of psychology

xi-Rose-ix
I stated my opinions on everything. And the anti-depressants have Xanax in them. That's bad for you. They can kill/damage brain cells. It doesn't help that they become addicting.

You don't know the first thing about pharmaceuticals or how they work. Xanax is an anti-anxiety medication. They don't put it in most (not gonna say all because I don't know for sure) anti-depressants. It doesn't "kill" brain cells unless you abuse it.

xi-Rose-ix

Semi-true.
A goth is someone who listens to goth rock. Nothing more, nothing less. You can tack whatever other adjectives to the front of it you want, but if they don't listen to goth rock, they're not goth.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:49 pm
the_underworks
Can the stereotypical "dark and gloomy* goth subculture (in general) have an impact on mental health?
Can it contribute to certain mental disorders?
What do you think about it?

(begeez, does everyone have their knickers in a twist? opinions are like arseholes...everyone has one, but not everyone has to ram their fist in and twist it like a dying fish....lighten up.)

meanwhile, back on track.....

can goth subculture have an impact on mental health?

Yes....wether positive or negative depends largely on the individual and/or their mental point of view....
if you think dying roses and gravestones are beautiful...fine.
if you think decaying roses and tombstones are a nice place to be right now because you think the world is totaly F*ed up and you are depressed because you feel supressed by your parents and want to end it all.....well...someone may have deeper issues than a love of dark colors and music.

can It contribute to certain mental disorders?

that's very subjective...

on the one hand, no, because the disorders may have existed long before the subject discovered the subculture, and just found a conveinent way to express the disorder in a visual manner.

on the other hand, yes, because of the varied nuances of the subculture which has the potential for one to dive "too deep" into it, and loose themselves completley in the fantasy of a gothic lifestyle.
Basically, they take themselves too seriously, refer to themselves by a persona at all times, and any attempts by outside forces (parents/teachers/ect.) to communicate with said subject are met with hostility. Eventually, one looses touch with all reality, and in that state, has the potential to harm themselves or others unintentionally.
of course, these are just a couple of broad examples, but the gist of the message is still the same....

Personally, I do not agree with the doctors prognosis....it sounds very biased, and should be questioned...by another professional. The real question is how do you feel? And what would make you happiest at this moment? If you can answer these two honestly to yourself (really honestly, not the "mirror reflection trying to convince yourself you're ok" honesty) then you are more well adjusted than you thought.  

Keevan Draco

Xahmen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:38 pm
I'm doing an impersonation of almost everybody here:

"Your therapist has no idea what he's doing, he's a quack.
Those twelve years of school you have to go through to get qualified and those rigorous tests and seminars?
All cheated on, he actually did coke off of a hookers a** when the Twin Towers fell.

Oh God I'm so lonely."  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:47 pm
This bit about antidepressants confuses me. Was it stated that this person is seeing a psychiatrist? Because if they are seeing a psychologist, counselor, or other therapist, then they cannot be prescribed medication.

Also, I've seen antidepressants-and therapy, but that's a given-help my friend get better after a suicide attempt, so stop acting like they're infused with evil.  

PetreyDish

kittermeow

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:49 pm
Death of Cool
xi-Rose-ix

I'm not "hating" on you, I'm hating on the dumb s**t you said. Being through counseling doesn't make you an expert.

xi-Rose-ix

Your bad experience doesn't negate the validity of the entire field of psychology

xi-Rose-ix

You don't know the first thing about pharmaceuticals or how they work. Xanax is an anti-anxiety medication. They don't put it in most (not gonna say all because I don't know for sure) anti-depressants. It doesn't "kill" brain cells unless you abuse it.

xi-Rose-ix

Semi-true.
A goth is someone who listens to goth rock. Nothing more, nothing less. You can tack whatever other adjectives to the front of it you want, but if they don't listen to goth rock, they're not goth.

Never said it did.
Ah, but notice how I mentioned they were addicting. Eventually it will damage some brain cells. I had to do some research on Xanax for my innovation paper.
And there are more stereotype Goths based on different things- even other things other than music. And before you start flaming, know that I'm just stating facts. People created the stereotypes, not me. Later on, most of the public considered all those stereotypes official Goths. They may not know that that's not true, but they're stubborn and unintelligible. It's hard to explain in a way, but it's sort of like propaganda.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:58 pm
Look, I'm sorry if I offended any of you guys. And obviously no one believes in what I say, so I'll just resign from this conversation. I don't want to start flaming or pick a fight here. That stuff belongs to CB.  

kittermeow

PetreyDish

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:58 pm
xi-Rose-ix

I like this reasoning. Let's stop using all drugs that can possibly cause a bunch of terrible side effects.

http://www.drugs.com/albuterol.html#side-effects
http://www.drugs.com/sfx/insulin-side-effects.html
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas