Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

uryu ishida

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:25 pm
Freak_090
Shrantics Pretentious Ego
Almost all of the rifles I own are Marlins, and to be honest, I'm not pleased with them for target shooting. I don't need a $2,000+ race gun, and I don't reckon you do either, but 3-4MOA just isn't satisfying. Then again, they're all old hunting rifles for use within 100 yards, but I assume you'll want to shoot further than that.

Now, I don't know much about Marlin, and I could be terribly wrong, but that's my 2¢ on the Marlin rifles that I own.

I've heard that older marlins aren't as good as the newer ones, same for Savage...

Also on the list for consideration is the Mossberg 100ATR
I've heard the opposite. ANd in the case of the 39A, I've personally experiences the opposite. The earlier 39As are a lot better than the new ones. All of mine are pre-safety, 40+ years old, and better than the 4-year-old 39A I got to shoot.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:00 pm
uryu ishida
Freak_090
Shrantics Pretentious Ego
Almost all of the rifles I own are Marlins, and to be honest, I'm not pleased with them for target shooting. I don't need a $2,000+ race gun, and I don't reckon you do either, but 3-4MOA just isn't satisfying. Then again, they're all old hunting rifles for use within 100 yards, but I assume you'll want to shoot further than that.

Now, I don't know much about Marlin, and I could be terribly wrong, but that's my 2¢ on the Marlin rifles that I own.

I've heard that older marlins aren't as good as the newer ones, same for Savage...

Also on the list for consideration is the Mossberg 100ATR
I've heard the opposite. ANd in the case of the 39A, I've personally experiences the opposite. The earlier 39As are a lot better than the new ones. All of mine are pre-safety, 40+ years old, and better than the 4-year-old 39A I got to shoot.

Meh, I've seen and heard nothing but great reviews so far.  

Freak_090
Captain

Freak_090
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:30 pm
SWEET!

So, I am going to pick up the rifle from an academy a few miles away today for $289.99 +tax and Ill leave a small report about it tonight. I have a date on the range this Sunday so I wont be able to leave a full report till then.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:33 pm
Freak_090
SWEET!

So, I am going to pick up the rifle from an academy a few miles away today for $289.99 +tax and Ill leave a small report about it tonight. I have a date on the range this Sunday so I wont be able to leave a full report till then.
Good deal.

Tell us how it shoots.  

uryu ishida

Freak_090
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:58 pm
Ok, I went out and bought the rifle after all the paperwork was complete, brought it home, swapped the old scope from my Ruger over to the Marlin and, now I am reporting to you.

The rifle is as good as all the reviews have said...

Trigger is crisp and clean with a light pull and no creep. I can't wait to make it a little lighter though, but I'm not going to tinker just yet.

The Bolt is amazingly smooth, but maybe just a tad heavy when cocking, but no real worries there. Bolt is released by a button on the left side of the bolt opposite the safety. I am neither here nor there on this as I'm not concerned my the mild inconvenience of having to push a button instead of pulling the trigger to take out the bolt.

The Safety is a little more concerning though. The safety can't be engaged until the bolt has been cocked and there is no safe where the bolt is locked like on the Mausers. But, from a hunters perspective I can understand why this was a good choice.

I'm still trying to find out what grains the beauty prefers in her diet....  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:22 am
Freak_090
Ok, I went out and bought the rifle after all the paperwork was complete, brought it home, swapped the old scope from my Ruger over to the Marlin and, now I am reporting to you.

Trigger is crisp and clean with a light pull and no creep. I can't wait to make it a little lighter though, but I'm not going to tinker just yet.

The Bolt is amazingly smooth, but maybe just a tad heavy when cocking, but no real worries there. Bolt is released by a button on the left side of the bolt opposite the safety. I am neither here nor there on this as I'm not concerned my the mild inconvenience of having to push a button instead of pulling the trigger to take out the bolt.

The Safety is a little more concerning though. The safety can't be engaged until the bolt has been cocked and there is no safe where the bolt is locked like on the Mausers. But, from a hunters perspective I can understand why this was a good choice.

I've noticed all the hunting rifles I've handled can only be put on safe while cocked.  

uryu ishida

Shrantic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:30 pm
uryu ishida
Freak_090

I've noticed all the hunting rifles I've handled can only be put on safe while cocked.
Excluding my stupid-dangerous lever action with no safety, all of my hunting rifles have a little button on the side of the trigger guard that you can press to engage/disengage the safety.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:38 pm
Shrantic
uryu ishida
Freak_090

Excluding my stupid-dangerous lever action with no safety, all of my hunting rifles have a little button on the side of the trigger guard that you can press to engage/disengage the safety.
Lever-actions are better without safeties. They have external hammers. Safeties encumber the design, because it wasn't designed in the slightest to have one. Hence, any you DO run across with safeties, they are all crossbolt.

That's called a cross-bolt safety, and it just restricts the movement of the trigger, it doesn't prevent the hammer or striker from dropping. Crossbolt is the simplest mechanical safety, widely used at least, and not much of a safety when you consider you should just keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to fire.

The safeties on the rear of the bolt restrict the striker AND (usually) the trigger, so that if dropped, it still can't go off.  

uryu ishida

Freak_090
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:38 pm
well, Today was a major disappointment. Not only did I have to work today even though i clearly requested Sunday the 15th off about 3 weeks ago. It rained. So, no range time for me. I am planing on going sometime within the next week so i will let you know when I am going.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:22 pm
so i went to the range today to find out that I have a bogus scope that can't hold a zero for crap.

I went to the range and after about 10 rounds of just trying to find where the bullet was landing I got fed up and went inside to get it bore-sighted. found out that my scope was WAY low and WAY to the right. So they got it set and $10 later Im out on the range again.... 3 ROUNDS later Im right back where i was.

The Rifle functioned great, and i have no doubt it groups well, but seeing as how my scope is as reliably as a person with Parkinson's playing darts I can't say for sure.

Luckily, my brother showed up with his M44 and we just made a bunch of noise and tore up some targets.  

Freak_090
Captain

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:46 pm
Freak_090
On the SMLE, you have a spur on the side of the bolt head that you use to flip it 90 degrees and unlock the bolt from the action. It's pretty nice that if something ever catastrophically fails, the bolt physically cannot come out and faceshot me without ripping the rear half of the action off as well.

Quote:
If the gun isn't cocked, who needs a safety?  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:13 pm
Fresnel
Freak_090
On the SMLE, you have a spur on the side of the bolt head that you use to flip it 90 degrees and unlock the bolt from the action. It's pretty nice that if something ever catastrophically fails, the bolt physically cannot come out and faceshot me without ripping the rear half of the action off as well.

Quote:

Yeah, I know, concerning wasn't the proper term to use...

In other news, since I am now looking for a new rifle scope American Rifleman is advertising a Pentax Gameseeker 4-12x40 for $67.97 and a SimmonsAETEC Master Series 2.8-10x44 for $69.95

So what have you heard about these scopes?  

Freak_090
Captain

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:17 am
Freak_090
Fresnel
Freak_090

Quote:

Yeah, I know, concerning wasn't the proper term to use...

In other news, since I am now looking for a new rifle scope American Rifleman is advertising a Pentax Gameseeker 4-12x40 for $67.97 and a SimmonsAETEC Master Series 2.8-10x44 for $69.95

So what have you heard about these scopes?
Scopes I don't know much about and I don't recognize either brand, so Google is more helpful than I.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:37 pm
Fresnel
Scopes I don't know much about and I don't recognize either brand, so Google is more helpful than I.

i have seen Simmons at gun shows rather frequently. But I agree they are rather uncommon.  

Freak_090
Captain

Buying and Advice

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas