Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Maddness91

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:12 pm
OberFeldwebel
Maddness91

OberFeldwebel
Desert_Fox_Rommel
Ok so scare tactics won't work. Still an M2 is much more effective. You've got a better chance of stopping them if you are armed than if you just hope they leave you alone.

Just keep blowing them out of the water, they'll run out of boats and or people some time.
that;s what they said about Iraq... boats are made every day, people are born in abject poverty every day... cant win'em all...

how about we combat the real problem of poverty without resorting to tied-aid?... no? yeah, didn;t think so... (excuse my global issues class mind warping xp )

Eh, I suppose it's an exercize in futility.
Anyway, doesn't mean that we should leave our ships open for attack.

Make a pleasure cruise out of it.
Take civilians on board to protect the boat.

I know, it's been suggested and I'm not sure if it's fake or not, has actually been made available.
i'm no suggesting leaving boats sitting in the middle of the ocean w/ no protection, i'm just saying that the way's you are thinking about going about it, wouldn't solve the problem... it may deter the problem for a time (until the problem changed it;s strategy)... but at what cost? what;s that saying again? liberals don't have any ideas of their own, but they know yours are wrong? xp

and that civilian cruise thing... WOW the insurance costs of that would be ASTRONOMICAL... or severely lacking a market... who would go onto a ship with little to no training, just to maybe fight pirates and possibly die... (keeping in mind, if they are trained, it;s 100x easier (and beneficial) to just join a private security company and get paid)  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:31 pm
Maddness91
Fresnel
Maddness91
Fresnel
Every crew member of every ship in Somali waters should be armed and qualified to use it. Frangible rounds, if at all possible. The Japanese didn't ******** with Mainland America because of all our guns, let's see if the Somalis are any smarter.
$ $ $ and man power... cargo ships arn't meant to carry big guns and such... they are meant to carry stuff from 1 port to another, as cheaply as possible... i.e. packed to the brim, and as few ship men as possible... if u add big guns to the picture, wages would increase heavily, added on to more men needed to man said guns IF there is an attack...

i agree with the use of LRAD's and small arms and security teams and such, but the idea of equipping cargo ships w/ guns meant for war ships, when they're against 8 guys in a row boat seems excessive... (InB4 no such thing as overkill)

that and maritime law prevents / restricts certain merchant ships from carrying heavy / light weaponry into certain merchant ports (IIRC)... i'm not quite up to date with my flag state requirements xp
Well, in that post I was referring to sidearms. I'd like to see a bunch of Somalis storm a ship where every crew member has a shotgun.
oh, when u said japan didn;t ******** w/ mainland USA because of the guns, i assumed it was because of guns that took out warships...
Nah, the whole 'rifle behind every blade of grass' thing.

As to trying to help them, look what happened to the Boers and the Brits. The Brits got whupped and sent packing. The Boers abandoned everything north of South Africa, and it's only slightly less of a shithole than everything else.  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Maddness91

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:40 pm
Fresnel
Maddness91
Fresnel
Maddness91
Fresnel
Every crew member of every ship in Somali waters should be armed and qualified to use it. Frangible rounds, if at all possible. The Japanese didn't ******** with Mainland America because of all our guns, let's see if the Somalis are any smarter.
$ $ $ and man power... cargo ships arn't meant to carry big guns and such... they are meant to carry stuff from 1 port to another, as cheaply as possible... i.e. packed to the brim, and as few ship men as possible... if u add big guns to the picture, wages would increase heavily, added on to more men needed to man said guns IF there is an attack...

i agree with the use of LRAD's and small arms and security teams and such, but the idea of equipping cargo ships w/ guns meant for war ships, when they're against 8 guys in a row boat seems excessive... (InB4 no such thing as overkill)

that and maritime law prevents / restricts certain merchant ships from carrying heavy / light weaponry into certain merchant ports (IIRC)... i'm not quite up to date with my flag state requirements xp
Well, in that post I was referring to sidearms. I'd like to see a bunch of Somalis storm a ship where every crew member has a shotgun.
oh, when u said japan didn;t ******** w/ mainland USA because of the guns, i assumed it was because of guns that took out warships...

As to trying to help them, look what happened to the Boers and the Brits. The Brits got whupped and sent packing. The Boers abandoned everything north of South Africa, and it's only slightly less of a shithole than everything else.
oh wow colonialist powers left them after generations of resource extraction and slavery? well i can;t see why they turned out so bad xp

and sou'frica isn;t doing all to terribly really... it's just when ur country's murder rate is 2nd highest in the world (1 person, per 2000 people) it;s kind of hard to break through into a fully civilized country... hell they almost have nuclear energy figured out... that;s got to count for something right?
anyways that;s a topic for another thread... back to pirates of the somalia xp  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:48 pm
Although having M2s aboard ships would be pretty bad a** it wouldn't happen. In order for the ship to be able to wield the M2s all of the countries would have to have laws allowing such weapons inside of them and seeing as how thats never the case, and even if it were the paperwork and money required would do nothing but complicate the process 100x over... It would never happen even if it could.

LRADs, however, are quite legal all over the world.  

Freak_090
Captain

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:09 pm
Maddness91
Fresnel
Maddness91
Fresnel
Maddness91
Fresnel

oh wow colonialist powers left them after generations of resource extraction and slavery? well i can;t see why they turned out so bad xp

and sou'frica isn;t doing all to terribly really... it's just when ur country's murder rate is 2nd highest in the world (1 person, per 2000 people) it;s kind of hard to break through into a fully civilized country... hell they almost have nuclear energy figured out... that;s got to count for something right?
For the record, it's not just murder rates, it's all violent crimes. More SA cops are shot by other SA cops in one year than Aussie cops have been shot by anyone in entire the history of Australia. Rapes are about one per minute, carjackings and armed robberies in the hundreds per week... It's a real shithole of crime.

Also let it be said that the people who CAUGHT Africans for slavery were largely African.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:11 pm
Freak_090
Although having M2s aboard ships would be pretty bad a** it wouldn't happen. In order for the ship to be able to wield the M2s all of the countries would have to have laws allowing such weapons inside of them and seeing as how thats never the case, and even if it were the paperwork and money required would do nothing but complicate the process 100x over... It would never happen even if it could.

******** LAWS DO IT ANYWAY. OOHRAH.

*ahem*  

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Das Rabble Rouser

Invisible Phantom

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:15 pm
Fresnel
Freak_090

*ahem*
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:24 pm
Das Rabble Rouser
Fresnel
Freak_090

*ahem*
*puffs on pipe* I concur.  

Requiem ex Inferni

Eloquent Streaker

Maddness91

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:55 pm
Fresnel
Maddness91

For the record, it's not just murder rates, it's all violent crimes. More SA cops are shot by other SA cops in one year than Aussie cops have been shot by anyone in entire the history of Australia. Rapes are about one per minute, carjackings and armed robberies in the hundreds per week... It's a real shithole of crime.

Also let it be said that the people who CAUGHT Africans for slavery were largely African.
The Belgians went into the Congo, killed the most powerful group, gave the 2nd most powerful group power and told them "keep the people in line and suppressed, or we'll come and ******** you up like we did the other guys"... not much of a choice man confused

moveing on... unless u post something else that twists my guts xp  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:46 pm
Maddness91
Fresnel
Maddness91

The Belgians went into the Congo, killed the most powerful group, gave the 2nd most powerful group power and told them "keep the people in line and suppressed, or we'll come and ******** you up like we did the other guys"... not much of a choice man confused

moveing on... unless u post something else that twists my guts xp

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

Maddness91

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:36 am
Fresnel
no that;s just funny xp  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:15 am
How about a decoy boat that looks just like a tanker, but is owned by the navy(s) that just cruises around the area, but has weapons onboard? I'm sure that after having a tanker blow a couple boats out of the water, some will be discouraged.  

Man of the Demoneye

Fresnel
Crew

Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:00 am
Man of the Demoneye
How about a decoy boat that looks just like a tanker, but is owned by the navy(s) that just cruises around the area, but has weapons onboard? I'm sure that after having a tanker blow a couple boats out of the water, some will be discouraged.
Cruise ship. Tankers have a skeleton crew, giant ******** cruise ships have thousands of rich people on them.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:43 pm
Fresnel
Man of the Demoneye
Cruise ship. Tankers have a skeleton crew, giant ******** cruise ships have thousands of rich people on them.
tankers also have $100M+ worth of cargo on them... and a skeleton crew (less resistance)

as for the concept, it would work... if it got attacked... would have to be out on the water 24/7 to have a decent chance at being attacked in the first place... ALOT of ships travel around the horn, so 1 dummy boat in a sea of thousands of other boats? plus running a ship like that costs alot of money... i doubt any company is going to pony that up, let alone the heavily indebted gov't of Somalia...

the U.S and other world power countries are patrolling w/ there fast moving destroyers and what not, and there still getting to the attacks late...

why not make a giant fence around the horn of Africa? 50 mi. out, with guarded gates for real fishing vessels going out to fish... it would be a large initial investment, but the cost to run it wouldn't be horribly large if the corporations that the fence protects pitched in... neutral
it may break some freedom of navigation laws tho... confused oh well... go go maritime law reform xp  

Maddness91

Floyd

Quotable Prophet

14,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:07 pm
Fresnel
Man of the Demoneye

During the First and Second World Wars, the British (and later in WWII, the Americans) used second hand freighters and converted them into gun platforms to lure the Germans and Japanese during the more civilized periods of combat.

The British ships were called Q ships and sported a dozen hidden cannons and a few torpedo launchers.

Now picture a medium sized, beat up oil tanker flying some obscure national flag. There are plenty of oil tankers in storage at any given time, waiting for the final trip to India and the scrap heap. An oil tanker would make for a perfect Q Boat as long as the internal tanks were 100% purged of any volatile gases.

Picture a set of launch ramps cut into the aft where 6 of our Navy's fastest Zodiac boats would launch and make snort work of the garbage the pirates are using these days. And the deck would make a fine place to stash an attack helicopter or two.

Expensive? More than likely. Effective? Almost 100% if the Somalis try and hit it.  
Gaia Gun Enthusiasts

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff