Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Animal Lovers Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for all animal lovers and pet owners 

Tags: animal lovers, pets, animals, cats birds dogs fish reptile, official animal lovers guild 

Reply Main Forum
New addition! Rescued Russian Tortoise named "Zoom" Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:42 pm
lol, true. im sure after soem time she will learn that you are doing whats best for her, my first leo was a brat, always biting, now she is my most friendly reptile, though thats becasue i would spend time each day pestering her XD  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:06 pm
Haha. Hopefully Zoom is like your first leo... I have to pester her every day between getting her set-up "right" (for now) and maintaining it... She seems to be getting a little used to it already, but she still hisses and ducks back into her shell almost whenever my hand is near her face... (I say almost because, while she was trying to poo, she was too busy trying to knock my hands loose to remember to hide her head!)  

Foofy_Miru

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:49 am
lol, she sounds like a charmer XD  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:23 pm
Doesn't she, though??

She's doing pretty good. Eating all I put in front of her, defecating regularly (though she has soft stool)... She even woke up and went to her basking spot before I could turn her lights on this morning when I woke up a couple hours late. =)

We still haven't continued working on her tort table, though. Hopefully, I'll be able to get everything I need to finish it on Saturday. xP  

Foofy_Miru

Extra-Fancy gaterzgirlz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:29 am
awwwwwwwwww is she still doing good  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:36 am
I think Guilds may be going nuts. This is the second time the new post was NOT where it should be. So far. o.O''''

Extra-Fancy gaterzgirlz
awwwwwwwwww is she still doing good

She's doing alright, yeah. Has horrible diarrhea, and, apparently, REALLY weak back legs (can't really support herself on them, though she doesn't seem to notice/care), but other than that, she's doing good. Thanks for asking! =)  

Foofy_Miru

Sarahmooo
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:14 am
At least she's doing good =D
I bet she's a lot happier.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:12 pm
Skittleo

Yep!!! She's definitely coming out of her shell. (Excuse the pun, please, I've been dying to use it for a week now!)

She even recognizes me as the "Food Goddess" and stares up at me until I give her food. Or crawls onto the top of her hide until I get fed up and feed her. I think she's figured out that I HATE it when she "basks" on top of her hide... >.<  

Foofy_Miru

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:18 pm
Foofy_Miru
Skittleo

Yep!!! She's definitely coming out of her shell. (Excuse the pun, please, I've been dying to use it for a week now!)

She even recognizes me as the "Food Goddess" and stares up at me until I give her food. Or crawls onto the top of her hide until I get fed up and feed her. I think she's figured out that I HATE it when she "basks" on top of her hide... >.<

i love it when they realize your the one who brings food ^.^

and you know your just rewarding her for going on her hide since you feed her right afterwards XD  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:06 am
Shanna66
Foofy_Miru
Skittleo

and you know your just rewarding her for going on her hide since you feed her right afterwards XD

It's the best thing ever! ... You know, unless you have a 6 ft rat snake with one hell of a bite chasing your hand at every turn. Owie. Lucy scares me. =(

I don't think so... I generally pull her off her hide and start flicking at/blowing on her to keep her off while I get the food out. Her tub is right next to my (yes, MY! I have my own. HAHAHAHA!) fridge, so I have that "luxury" of being able to pester her right up to mealtime. =)

I get why she wants to be up there. It stays at just about the "perfect" basking temps for her to keep the inside of her hide in the lower 80s, and her basking light is hugely insufficient (barely gets her into the lower 80s--enough to digest, but it should be in the 90s), but I'm afraid she'll overheat and/or burn herself because she doesn't know "when" to get off. Tortoises use basking heat, not belly heat... Most definitely NOT like a snake. =(  

Foofy_Miru

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:10 am
Foofy_Miru
Shanna66
Foofy_Miru
Skittleo

It's the best thing ever! ... You know, unless you have a 6 ft rat snake with one hell of a bite chasing your hand at every turn. Owie. Lucy scares me. =(

I don't think so... I generally pull her off her hide and start flicking at/blowing on her to keep her off while I get the food out. Her tub is right next to my (yes, MY! I have my own. HAHAHAHA!) fridge, so I have that "luxury" of being able to pester her right up to mealtime. =)

I get why she wants to be up there. It stays at just about the "perfect" basking temps for her to keep the inside of her hide in the lower 80s, and her basking light is hugely insufficient (barely gets her into the lower 80s--enough to digest, but it should be in the 90s), but I'm afraid she'll overheat and/or burn herself because she doesn't know "when" to get off. Tortoises use basking heat, not belly heat... Most definitely NOT like a snake. =(

i hate setting up basking spots, i get so freaking picky about them. its one of the reasons that all of the reptiles im taking with me when i move out all use UTHs because they all need belly heat, i swear by those things  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:44 pm
Shanna66
i hate setting up basking spots, i get so freaking picky about them. its one of the reasons that all of the reptiles im taking with me when i move out all use UTHs because they all need belly heat, i swear by those things

So long as you swear by them with thermostats... Those things are damn scary unregulated. I'd rather deal with two dozen basking spots than a single unregulated UTH.

Ugh. I hate basking spots. I'm always afraid I'll get a bulb with too high or low wattage, then I'm out whatever money that bulb and (usually) its fixture cost me... I like torts and lizards too much not to have to deal with it occasionally, though, and you're usually good once you have a routine down. I do still wish sometimes, though, that I could just give Man Ray a heat pad and a UVB light and call it good. =P  

Foofy_Miru

Sarahmooo
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:03 am
Hm.
I've never had a problem with basking spots, but I've only ever owned three animals that have needed it lol

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:14 am
Foofy_Miru
Shanna66

So long as you swear by them with thermostats... Those things are damn scary unregulated. I'd rather deal with two dozen basking spots than a single unregulated UTH.

Ugh. I hate basking spots. I'm always afraid I'll get a bulb with too high or low wattage, then I'm out whatever money that bulb and (usually) its fixture cost me... I like torts and lizards too much not to have to deal with it occasionally, though, and you're usually good once you have a routine down. I do still wish sometimes, though, that I could just give Man Ray a heat pad and a UVB light and call it good. =P

dont worry, i would never use a UTH without a way to control it, i use the zoomed ones and those get well over 100F, way too hot for any of the reptiles i keep. all my guys besides the cresty need temps of around 90  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Foofy_Miru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:53 pm
Skittle-- In reality, yeah, basking spots are pretty easy, especially once you get the hang of them. To me, it's the stress of getting things "right" without having to adjust it a dozen times. There's also the constant fire risk with heat lamps... Heat pads are just a ton easier. With a good thermostat, they're pretty much a "set it and forget it" device, and the fire risk is slim to none (and that's certainly closer to "none" than "slim").

Shanna-- Good... Just making sure. wink I have mostly Zoomed ones, too. A couple times, I let a new heat pad heat up (almost) all the way before putting the thermostat on so I could see just how hot they would get... Both times, I got 140*F (or thereabouts), measured with my trusty Proexotics temp gun. Like I said, damn scary. xP  
Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff