Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Animal Lovers Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for all animal lovers and pet owners 

Tags: animal lovers, pets, animals, cats birds dogs fish reptile, official animal lovers guild 

Reply Main Forum
Empty Tank Syndrome... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What do you do with your spare tanks/enclosures/tubs?
  Buy a new pet!
  Set up a new fish tank!
  Sell it for CASH!
  Stick it in the garage/attic/storage unit and try to forget it!
  Stare at it. Stare at it some more. And then just leave it where it is.
  Other! (please specify)
  POLL WHORE! (AKA: I don't have small animals, so I'm exempt from your curse!)
View Results

Foofy_Miru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:39 pm
Skittleo
Foofy_Miru
Kijiji is kind of like CL but a lot less strict and more welcoming to "breeders". I don't go on it much... There's rarely a snake there, let alone one that hasn't already been posted on CL. (In my area, anyway.) Not a huge, horrible temptation unless you're resisting puppies and kittens. Check it out when you have all empty enclosures (temptation) removed from the house and no money in the bank...

But..
I'm trying to get a German Shepherd puppy D:
Well.
I say I am, but I know if I don't wait at least a few months before getting him I'll just have to re-home him or kill my mom. .__.

Oooh, now that's dangerous. Puppies are EVERYWHERE on ALL classified ad sites... =P

My mom wants to get dog #5 this month. My friend's dog got pregnant before they could get her spayed, and gave birth back in October. All of them have been adopted out, but one home might not be working out, so her mom is offering to take the puppy back... If the woman gives it back, my mom has already called dibs. xD  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:59 pm
Haha, awesome ;D
Well, my mom's all for me getting a dog, but it would literally kill her lol

Sarahmooo
Captain

Foofy_Miru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:15 pm
Yeah. There are a few issues with getting another dog, though. Our fence is too short for a big dog that doesn't already have arthritis (one of only two reasons Sammy, our boxer stays in the yard), our household is too hectic, and my dad wants another boxer to be our next dog. Dad can deal with it (at least it's a big dog!) and the fence can be replaced, but setting the household right is going to be a major PITA, and I don't think my mom is thinking much about that. (While I obsess about it.. heh.)

How would having a dog kill your mom? I'm curious...  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:18 pm
Haha, been there, done that.

She has cancer, and at the moment not doing so swell.
But I absolutely cannot get a dog that isn't potty-trained Dx
If it goes in the house, it'll give her an infection that can kill her.
The only reason I can keep the cats is because I keep their litter boxes in the basement, clean them once or twice a day, and sweep up the cat hair everyday that she's home lol

Sarahmooo
Captain

Foofy_Miru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:30 pm
Okay, that makes sense... Yeah, I can see a dog being a problem around anyone with a compromised immune system. I'm so sorry about your mom, by the way. I hope she's able to beat it!  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:34 pm
Thank you!
That really means a lot.
And yeah, but I'm fine waiting.
I want to buy it with my own money anyways.
Lol

Sarahmooo
Captain

Foofy_Miru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:29 pm
You're so lucky to be patient. Maybe it'd be different in the case of a life-threatening illness, but I'm already annoyed at my mom a lot of the time that she's pretty much always asleep.. She has chronic fatigue syndrome. It doesn't help that I caught mono from her last year, so now I have it, too... =P  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:36 pm
Aw, I hope you get better!
I'm really not that patient xD
I just avoid craigslist and such lol

Sarahmooo
Captain

Foofy_Miru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:37 pm
Skittleo

Oh, I caught and got over mono last... Fall? I think. Apparently, Epstein-Barr Virus (the cause of Mono) screws with your mind, too. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome happens when EBV decides to stick around after you catch mono. Ick.

Avoiding CL certainly does help. I went to Craigslist today to see if there were any GOOD rat enclosures for sale at a reasonable (read: superbly, stupidly cheap) price because I've decided to give a rat a try (have been debating with myself over it for the last year... Now, I have food AND bedding left over from the mice, so it's a great time to try), and I made the mistake of typing "snake" into the search bar. Then "snakes," "boa," "boas," "python," "pythons," "reptile," "reptiles," etc, etc... There's a person in Olympia (1.5 hrs from me, instead of Seattle like stuff usually is--3 hrs away) who has all kinds of stuff for sale. Including stuff I've always wanted. Like... A box turtle, a plated lizard, a couple White's tree frogs with a planted tank, a Blue Tongue Skink, a thriving roach colony, a couple Irian Jaya Carpet Pythons... Ugh. Talk about horrible temptation... I can resist the IJs, plated lizard, and box turtle, but the frogs, skink, and roaches are drawing me in. I need a roach colony, anyway. I mean, assuming it's a dubia colony. And I've been wanting frogs for a while now, and there's no way Man Ray can keep a roach colony of any size in check all by himself... Same goes for the skink--Man ray needs help eating all his greens, too... Agh! The temptation is horrible! *sob* The temptation is SO horrible, I emailed my mom the listing. xP  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:23 pm
Foofy_Miru
Skittleo

Oh, I caught and got over mono last... Fall? I think. Apparently, Epstein-Barr Virus (the cause of Mono) screws with your mind, too. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome happens when EBV decides to stick around after you catch mono. Ick.

Avoiding CL certainly does help. I went to Craigslist today to see if there were any GOOD rat enclosures for sale at a reasonable (read: superbly, stupidly cheap) price because I've decided to give a rat a try (have been debating with myself over it for the last year... Now, I have food AND bedding left over from the mice, so it's a great time to try), and I made the mistake of typing "snake" into the search bar. Then "snakes," "boa," "boas," "python," "pythons," "reptile," "reptiles," etc, etc... There's a person in Olympia (1.5 hrs from me, instead of Seattle like stuff usually is--3 hrs away) who has all kinds of stuff for sale. Including stuff I've always wanted. Like... A box turtle, a plated lizard, a couple White's tree frogs with a planted tank, a Blue Tongue Skink, a thriving roach colony, a couple Irian Jaya Carpet Pythons... Ugh. Talk about horrible temptation... I can resist the IJs, plated lizard, and box turtle, but the frogs, skink, and roaches are drawing me in. I need a roach colony, anyway. I mean, assuming it's a dubia colony. And I've been wanting frogs for a while now, and there's no way Man Ray can keep a roach colony of any size in check all by himself... Same goes for the skink--Man ray needs help eating all his greens, too... Agh! The temptation is horrible! *sob* The temptation is SO horrible, I emailed my mom the listing. xP

Be brave D:
You can get through this.

But isn't it a little odd that he has so many animals for sale?
He isn't like, someone who hoards exotic animals to sell them is he?

Sarahmooo
Captain

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:30 pm
Skittleo
Foofy_Miru
Skittleo

Be brave D:

some people just have really huge collections. i admire the people who can care for all those animals. there are alot of them on a reptile forum i go to alot. one guy has loads and loads of frogs but they are all very well cared for, he is my go to guy for frog care  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:16 pm
Shanna66
Skittleo
Foofy_Miru
Skittleo

Be brave D:

some people just have really huge collections. i admire the people who can care for all those animals. there are alot of them on a reptile forum i go to alot. one guy has loads and loads of frogs but they are all very well cared for, he is my go to guy for frog care

Very true.
Hehe.
I want to own a lot of parrots when I'm older.

Sarahmooo
Captain

Foofy_Miru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:39 pm
Yeah. Big collections. Some might say my 25 snakes is a lot, but, in reality, it's a comparatively small collection. There could be such a thing as reptile "hoarding" (as well as reptile versions of puppy mills), but there's a certain line between massive yet well cared for collections and an overabundance that a person can't handle for but still has for the hell of it. There are also "flippers," who will take on an animal (usually under the pretext of a "rescue") and turn around and sell it for a profit. There's also quite a fine line between flippers and genuine rescue-and-rehomers.

The guy says, pretty much, he doesn't have time/energy to handle them all, so he's cutting it back to just a few snakes. According to the ad, the seller is a newlywed with work and school... I can see keeping your hefty herp collection of mostly needy lizards (and a needy box turtle) being difficult in that situation... I just wish I was in the position to take on at least the frogs... xP

I'd guess they're at least decently cared for if he's raising roaches for food and maintaining a planted viv for the frogs. The only things that strike me as "red flags" on the ad are he's pretty much aiming at teenagers, children, and parents thereof, he doesn't say whether his snakes (the IJ carpets, a BP, and a Dumeril's) feed live or otherwise, and his tone is too teasy-casual when he mentions that his box turtle... and I quote... "eats slow moving bugs (earthworms, superworms, or box turtle food) cause he is super slow haha." I've heard of good keepers feeding live, though, and my take on his tone concerning the turtle is thoroughly my own opinion.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:52 pm
i always find it interesting what some people call a big collection. i have people ask me all the time how i have time for 5 reptiles and a frog. they hardly take any time at all because unlike dogs and cats, they dont need to and dont want to be my friend

though the ball python takes a bit of extra work during feeding because of her mental issues, but thats only 2 hours a week  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Akiska

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:36 am
Hermit crabs... Enough said... When my sister is finished with my 30 I intend to set it up for a species only tat of blueberry hermits.  
Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff